Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Robinson Cano busted for PEDs

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,220 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

Huge blow to Seattle.
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,894 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

Was he a shoo-in Hall of Famer up to this point? How about now?

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#3 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

Whaaaaaaaaat?Let me guess - accidentally took something....thought it was a vitamin B shot....the guy from my hometown assured me that it was legal....blah blah blah.Tired of it all.

• birdwatcher, Blake, big dog and 3 others like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#4 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

A 1st ballot HOFer, not anymore.
  • bighat likes this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,865 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

Sucks for us all....but moreso for SEA

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,220 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

Was he a shoo-in Hall of Famer up to this point? How about now?

Definitely a shoo-in prior to today. I still think he gets in depending on his response or 'apology' after the news today.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

Don't all teams have Dominican academies these days? Why doesn't every team have a resident physician at these academies and everyone in the organization who winters in the DR and the minor leaguers who still live there are told by the teams that the team physician and ONLY the team physician can give them supplements, medicine and what not? 

Robinson Cano will be paid about 12M during these 80 games he misses. Seems like it would have been cheaper to have one doc on retainer.

#8 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

Took a diuretic, a common masking agent (What I read, not a medical person)

#9 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

Don't all teams have Dominican academies these days? Why doesn't every team have a resident physician at these academies and everyone in the organization who winters in the DR and the minor leaguers who still live there are told by the teams that the team physician and ONLY the team physician can give them supplements, medicine and what not? 

Robinson Cano will be paid about 12M during these 80 games he misses. Seems like it would have been cheaper to have one doc on retainer.

They get paid during suspensions?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,220 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

They get paid during suspensions?

No. I thought Erv's suspension was unpaid.
  • gil4, nicksaviking and h2oface like this

#11 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

In theory it sounds nice, but those same supplements ect. are one phone call and shipment away too. If these guys can't be bothered to check into what they're ingesting (assuming it's accidental) or contact their teams to ensure everything is approved, then I'm not sure having a team physician in the DR will really be all that effective. At some point it's just a matter of personal accountability. IMO we're seeing part of the risk teams take when handing out contracts. 

#12 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

I'm pretty sure players aren't paid during drug suspensions.

• gil4 likes this

#13 jun

jun

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

I don't understand why everyone is so high on Polanco. He has not achieved anything at the major league level and he's already busted for PEDS. Should he be a starter over Escobar? Someone who is busted for PEDS over someone who is always hardworking and well-liked in the clubhouse? Give me a break.

Edited by jun, 15 May 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Not really a surprise, he had lots of PED connections. When he was with the Yankees, ownership emailed ARod and asked if he could hook Cano up. Cano worked with Angel Presenal who MLB banned b/c of PEDs. I'm really more surprised he was caught.

#15 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

Whaaaaaaaaat?Let me guess - accidentally took something....thought it was a vitamin B shot....the guy from my hometown assured me that it was legal....blah blah blah.Tired of it all.

You must have written Cano's apology.

Anyway, I think I see a landing spot for Mr. Dozier at the trade-deadline.

• birdwatcher likes this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,865 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

Players are not paid. Money goes into a fund, that there is not a clear purpose for, iirc. I'd like the money to go to minor league players....
  • Twins33, h2oface and jkcarew like this

#17 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

In theory it sounds nice, but those same supplements ect. are one phone call and shipment away too. If these guys can't be bothered to check into what they're ingesting (assuming it's accidental) or contact their teams to ensure everything is approved, then I'm not sure having a team physician in the DR will really be all that effective. At some point it's just a matter of personal accountability. IMO we're seeing part of the risk teams take when handing out contracts. 

Fair points, but I'll never understand why players don't get their supplements through the team.The would eliminate any risk of taking something banned.I'm all about personal responsibility, but if I'm a player, I'm getting everything through the team just to be safe.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#18 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

Fair points, but I'll never understand why players don't get their supplements through the team.The would eliminate any risk of taking something banned.I'm all about personal responsibility, but if I'm a player, I'm getting everything through the team just to be safe.

Teams want the players to take PEDs.

#19 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

Players are not paid. Money goes into a fund, that there is not a clear purpose for, iirc. I'd like the money to go to minor league players....

I thought we resolved this before.... team doesn’t pay the money to anyone. Their expenses just went down by $12M

I think you are thinking of fines.
  • Mike Sixel and h2oface like this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,865 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

I thought we resolved this before.... team doesn’t pay the money to anyone. Their expenses just went down by $12M
I think you are thinking of fines.

I was!