Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Lamonte Wade -- Any believers he's more than a 4th OF?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,239 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

I had Wade ranked 22nd in my Twins' offseason prospect list with a 2018 ETA.Here is my summary on him, his potential and his ranking:

Wade has quick wrists, excellent eye, decent power and speed.He can play all 3 outfield positions with Left and Center being his best as a defender.He is hitting equally well left hand (.794 OPS in AA) nad right hand pitching (.809 OPS in AA.) With Buxton and Granite ahead of him at the majors, Wade might potentially move to a corner spot.There has been some discussion on moving him to second base; however throwing left-handed might put an end to that thought.Wade was invited to the Twins' major league camp this Spring. With Buxton, Rosario, Kepler, Grossman, and Granite in the majors, and with several outfield prospects ranked higher than him with an ETA of 2020 [Note: That would be Lewis, Rooker, Baddoo, Kirilloff, and Arias; with all but Rooker at 2020 ETA] , Wade might serve as trade bait for the Twins.The concussion is worrisome, as is, but to a lesser degree, his drop of performance in the AFL, and part of the reason that Wade is ranked here.The other part is that the Twins 2018 system is better than the 2017.

I still stand by this.Once you have Rosario and Kepler as lefties, Wade is behind them.He is also behind Granite who brings a different toolset on the table (plus defense, plus velocity) than Wade and is better fit for a 4th OF.Add to that the fact that Rooker might be as close as Wade and he is someone that the Twins need more than Wade (power Righty bat), add the fact that there are a whole bunch of prospect better than Wade coming behind him, and really there is not much room in the organization for him.Oh.Not to mention that his teammate, Zander Wiel, who is a righty is probably ahead of Wade, since the above was written, based on his performance....

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

198 walks, 165 strikeouts. Yes, I am a believer. The power has jumped this year too. He is ready for a promotion to AAA now. 

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,894 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

198 walks, 165 strikeouts. Yes, I am a believer. The power has jumped this year too. He is ready for a promotion to AAA now. 

I'd hold off until he's back from his current injury. :)

• SF Twins Fan likes this

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#24 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

This article helped me learn much more about Wade and his potential. Thanks for writing that. Also intrigued by some of the player comparisons. If he can end up playing anywhere near the mode of a Matt Lawton or Denard Span, that ain't so bad! One question: With such good speed on the base paths, what is the reason for his "slow" first couple of steps and lack of base-stealing ability? Can that be fixed by better technique or coaching tips? Or will he always be a slow "out-of-the-gate" runner?

#25 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:40 AM

Considering that the Twins do have to make decisions on ALL three of their outfielders, and people like Wade (and Granite) could psh someone away if they become too expensive in future sightlines for equal productivity, yes, he could be more than a fourth. You might have to add him to the 40-man next season, but really don't have to worry about playing him until 2020, if you wish, which means you have six years of control.

But then, who is pushing him in the lower minors?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com