Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Two way star McKay

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,365 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

I was all-in on Greene with Wright as a close second.That's basically why I work in corporate America and not in the front office of an MLB team.

Nobody's risen to the Show yet. I would hold off on your self admonishment until more of the story unfolds (said the tortoise).

I read that Greene is not hitting right now to focus on pitching, but the plan was still to start up again, in a planned process.

Edited by h2oface, 15 May 2018 - 04:13 PM.

• Mike Sixel and NapoleonComplex like this

#22 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,365 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

I was thinking about whether it is better for a skilled pitcher who is also a skilled batter to be on an AL team or an NL team.
Under NL rules the manager could bat him somewhere in the middle of the order and this would provide a significant advantage compared with AL rules. However, that only applies on days he pitches. I'd be hesitant to use him as an outfielder on other days out of concern for potential arm issues, but there would be value in having an extra pinch hitter.
Under AL rules the manager is pretty much forced to use a DH for him because not doing so could become a significant disadvantage late in a game, especially in extra innings. But it also allows him to DH on days he doesn't pitch.
I'm inclined to think AL rules are better suited for optimal use of this type of player.

??

What is the rule you refer to about limiting where the/a pitcher can hit in the order in the American League? I am not aware of a limit. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

But definitely an AL team, for the two way player, because of the DH and he doesn't have to play the field to be in the lineup.

Edited by h2oface, 15 May 2018 - 04:38 PM.

#23 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

We set the precedent for this last year, Chris Gimenez didn't even just DH he caught when not pitching!

• ashburyjohn, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#24 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

??

What is the rule you refer to about limiting where the/a pitcher can hit in the order in the American League? I am not aware of a limit. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

But definitely an AL team, for the two way player, because of the DH and he doesn't have to play the field to be in the lineup.

In the AL, if a pitcher is in the batting order the team loses the DH for the rest of the game. I was referring strictly to the NL rules in having a good-hitting pitcher batting somewhere other than 9th.

#25 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

How so? All five or six of the first picks are top fifty prospects. Only Greene is struggling and he's 18 or 19 years old.

Same could be said about the prior years draft class. I would love to see a prospect list with 2016 top 5 draft picks to see how they rank now compared to right after they were drafted.

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

In the AL, if a pitcher is in the batting order the team loses the DH for the rest of the game. I was referring strictly to the NL rules in having a good-hitting pitcher batting somewhere other than 9th.

The league you're in doesn't need to change where you'd bat him though.
You essentially start play under NL rules, so you could bat him anywhere, then double switch later, just as you would in the NL.

#27 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

The league you're in doesn't need to change where you'd bat him though.
You essentially start play under NL rules, so you could bat him anywhere, then double switch later, just as you would in the NL.

True, but then you're burning more players than the other team is because you have given up the DH. That's a significant disadvantage in the late innings and that's especially true if the game goes extra innings. You'll wind up with pitchers batting while the other team still has their DH.

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

With Ohtani showing it's doable and McKay showing it's possible. The door is opening and other teams are going to want one or two. 

If Front Office personnel, Managers or coaches think it can only be done by someone special like Ohtani. They will probably be the type of person who also didn't think a Microwave could cook food. If after watching the microwave cook food, if they still are of the opinion that it must be a special microwave. They will be Dinosaurs to be replaced as the game advances past them. 

The game will shift and these type of players will increase and those who refuse to believe it will be out of baseball.Don't know how long this will take but it will happen. 

I believe that players who can both hit and pitch have always been around. They were just never given the chance to do it because teams would force them to specialize in one thing. 

Of course... I am the President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility Club"

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

True, but then you're burning more players than the other team is because you have given up the DH. That's a significant disadvantage in the late innings and that's especially true if the game goes extra innings. You'll wind up with pitchers batting while the other team still has their DH.

But that's true regardless of where in the order you bat him.

#30 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

But that's true regardless of where in the order you bat him.

Looking back I can see how you were misled by how I wrote about batting the pitcher in the middle of the order. I was merely referring to how a good-hitting pitcher could be placed somewhere in the order other than ninth under NL rules. Our later posts were referring to having the pitcher bat for himself in a game played under AL rules. The point I'm making is that it is a disadvantage to start a game with the pitcher batting for himself in a game played under AL rules.