Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Two way star McKay

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

This article was posted on minor league ball and the timing is good seeing we just saw Ohtani.

https://www.minorlea...y-up-the-ladder

McKay has been moved up to high A after killing it on both sides of the ball in A ball. I'm still not convinced that he can do both at the ML level but I'd like to see him make it so we get more of these kind of guys.

• birdwatcher, Blake and h2oface like this

#2 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,001 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:47 AM

This article was posted on minor league ball and the timing is good seeing we just saw Ohtani.

https://www.minorlea...y-up-the-ladder

McKay has been moved up to high A after killing it on both sides of the ball in A ball. I'm still not convinced that he can do both at the ML level but I'd like to see him make it so we get more of these kind of guys.

With teams struggling to find a balance between bench players and pitching staffs, I think this portends an interesting future.

We've already seen, or are seeing, the end of the pure "DH" and this is probably the next logical step.

• birdwatcher and h2oface like this

#3 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:04 AM

Like two-sport athletes, I think this will briefly be a trend but will disappear the second there's a serious injury.

• jud6312 likes this

#4 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for posting that. I remember all the pre-draft hype about McKay's potential as a 2-way player but had nearly forgotten about him. With Otani succeeding so far, that definitely adds more intrigue to the idea of other teams trying it. And what about the high school kid that the Reds drafted? Another potential 2-way player that was pegged as a possible number one pick (and was on the cover of SI). Sorry, but I'm having a brain fart and can't remember his name! How is doing so far this season?

Edited by Doctor Wu, 15 May 2018 - 07:00 AM.

#5 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Hunter Greene. He is now pitching exclusively and struggling mightily in the MWL.It's very early in the development process, but as of now, Falvey and Levine are looking like geniuses.  

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#6 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

It's real nice seeing our boy ROYCE right on his heels despite being 3 years younger :D

• Carole Keller and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this
I get my opinions from media guides.

#7 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

I have wondered if Dave Winfield was ever called on to pitch an inning or two in a blowout game. Success in college certainly doesn't automatically translate to MLB but he was a key starting pitcher at the U.

#8 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

I was thinking about whether it is better for a skilled pitcher who is also a skilled batter to be on an AL team or an NL team.
Under NL rules the manager could bat him somewhere in the middle of the order and this would provide a significant advantage compared with AL rules. However, that only applies on days he pitches. I'd be hesitant to use him as an outfielder on other days out of concern for potential arm issues, but there would be value in having an extra pinch hitter.
Under AL rules the manager is pretty much forced to use a DH for him because not doing so could become a significant disadvantage late in a game, especially in extra innings. But it also allows him to DH on days he doesn't pitch.
I'm inclined to think AL rules are better suited for optimal use of this type of player.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 15 May 2018 - 08:40 AM.

• Blake likes this

#9 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

Picture Ohtani and the success he's having. Now multiply by ten and you have Babe Ruth. Offensively he was so far beyond his peers that even the best players of the last 60 years were no better. Couple that with the fact that he was an outstanding pitcher, and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that he was the best all-around baseball player ever.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 15 May 2018 - 08:50 AM.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

McKay's lack of velocity kept me from wanting him as the top pick. Thinking about the Twins taking a guy #1 overall who throws 92 MPH seemed like a stereotypical "play it safe" Twins move. I don't think his bat is going to be anything better than an extra-innings emergency pinch-hitter considering he plays the offensive dependent 1st base, but maybe his arm is more live than his college velocity let on. We'll probably know more once he faces better competition.

• Danchat likes this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,453 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

Hunter Greene. He is now pitching exclusively and struggling mightily in the MWL. It's very early in the development process, but as of now, Falvey and Levine are looking like geniuses.

How so? All five or six of the first picks are top fifty prospects. Only Greene is struggling and he's 18 or 19 years old.
  • h2oface and Danchat like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

I have wondered if Dave Winfield was ever called on to pitch an inning or two in a blowout game. Success in college certainly doesn't automatically translate to MLB but he was a key starting pitcher at the U.

I think Winfield is on the short list of players who you could imagine having success as a two-way player had they been allowed to do it. 

• Platoon and Nine of twelve like this

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,561 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

I dunno about 2-way star.He are his numbers on the plate as a 22 year old in the Midwest League:

.254/.484/.333. 

Other than his good great pitch discrimination, the rest are uber pedestrian.  

For comparison's sake: 

.343/.387/.414

4-year younger Royce Lewis's line in the same league this season.

Edited by Thrylos, 15 May 2018 - 11:46 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN and h2oface like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

How so? All five or six of the first picks are top fifty prospects. Only Greene is struggling and he's 18 or 19 years old.

My comment is in regards to performance, not a number on a list. I agree with baseball writers across the board, Hunter Greene definitely should be a top 50 prospect.He's immensely talented. However, if we are looking purely at performance results to this point, Falvey and Levine are looking like geniuses considering all the questions around selecting Royce #1. Although there wasn't necessarily a consensus top pick in the draft, Greene was seen by most as that player. I'd also say for the Twins specifically, many people weren't happy we passed on McKay. 

• h2oface and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

My comment is in regards to performance, not a number on a list. I agree with baseball writers across the board, Hunter Greene definitely should be a top 50 prospect.He's immensely talented. However, if we are looking purely at performance results to this point, Falvey and Levine are looking like geniuses considering all the questions around selecting Royce #1. Although there wasn't necessarily a consensus top pick in the draft, Greene was seen by most as that player. I'd also say for the Twins specifically, many people weren't happy we passed on McKay. 

Well, I wanted Wright ...

• Mike Sixel and dbminn like this

#16 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

I was all-in on Greene with Wright as a close second.That's basically why I work in corporate America and not in the front office of an MLB team.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,453 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

fair. I just think less than 12 months in is a bit early to decide. But so far, sure, Lewis looks great, no question.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#18 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

With teams struggling to find a balance between bench players and pitching staffs, I think this portends an interesting future.

We've already seen, or are seeing, the end of the pure "DH" and this is probably the next logical step.

There are a lot of college pitchers that also play the field, and are hitting everyday because they hit well. Let them hit if they can. To shut it down while they still hit at the level they are in always seems like such a waste to me.

Edited by h2oface, 15 May 2018 - 03:46 PM.

• Blake likes this

#19 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

Buxton was going to be the next Mike Trout at this level. Sometimes it happens, most of the time it doesn't. I hope they all find greatness, and we are talking about this draft for years to come, and McKay keeps doing both, too.

Edited by h2oface, 15 May 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#20 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

Kohl Stewart was a top 50 prospect at one point. That does not mean a whole lot now.