Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Pitchers Who Could Contribute to a Playoff Team in the Future

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...m-in-the-Future

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#2 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

It's all bull, you have no idea what you are talking about.

#3 MWLFan

MWLFan

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

oh that had to hurt considering the fully laid out response that Top Gun put out there.

Edited by MWLFan, 31 August 2012 - 01:04 PM.
Spelling

#4 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

a properly used long man/spot starter can help increase the bench players on the offensive side.

I don't know why, but this scene from Police Squad, which I haven't seen in probably 20 years sprung to mind:

[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

What a great show.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,519 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

LOL... Top Gun... It says that you are from Roseau... Seth Stohs is from Warroad. Roseau and Warroad are rivals as big as anywhere in the state of Minnesota.

Don't take this personally but based on post quality... Warroad wins!!!

#7 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Just to throw in one fact--Johan was a rule 5 draft pick--I am not saying Diamond is another Johan--but he easily could be a Brad Radke type number 2 starter.

#8 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

2012 starting rotation (spring): Scott Diamond, Liam Hendriks, Kyle Gibson, Samuel Deduno, Cole De Vries. The order doesn't really matter, since they're all number 3 to 5 pitchers. Scott Baker might knock off De Vries if Baker's arm doesn't fall off.

The one advantage of going with a relatively soft-throwing staff is that they tend to be pitchers, not just throwers, and they may be a little less likely to get some of the injuries that a couple more mph seems to incur.

I won't comment on Hendriks or Gibson, but I'm definitely a fan of Diamond, Deduno and De Vries, each of whom is maximizing his potential.

Diamond is a good example of an Atlanta Braves style control pitcher, emphasizing great consistency and precision in his delivery. Atlanta gave him up because he didn't have a mid-90's fastball, but his stuff is still good enough to get a ton of batters out, and I expect him to eat a ton of innings for the Twins.

Deduno's rise should give hope to all hard-throwing kids with a bit of wildness. His fastball reminds me of a shotgun blast, where any particular pellet could wind up within a three-foot circle in and around the strike zone. His curve ball is truly a thing of beauty, although it's not hard to distinguish from his heater. Great bend on his breaker, very difficult to meet. His changeup is becoming a great out pitch, because the delivery really does look like his fastball. Deduno also is a superlative fielder, and he's got a competitive streak that his teammates clearly enjoy. Is this Rick Anderson's greatest success story?

De Vries is one of my favorite pitchers, because frankly, he's got nothing special. That means he wins by being very, very clever. He's got four pitches that he can throw for strikes at any time, and he can sometimes spot his heater to the four corners. Consider this: Without a plus pitch, De Vries shut down the Texas Rangers. How bad can he be? Actually, he can be very bad. But keep in mind that De Vries has gotten better at every level.

The one thing all these Twins starters absolutely require is great fielding. That's why Pedro Florimon MUST be the SS, a Casilla level 2B, and the Twins should bring up Hicks and Arcia to cover more ground in the outfield.

Edited by jimbo92107, 31 August 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#9 Grady Kruse

Grady Kruse

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

It's good to see someone who is actually a realist when it comes to the Twins pitching staff. Personally, I think we need to sign at least one starter in the offseason, maybe two if they don't resign Baker.

#10 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

I have this major criticism. In the Deduno blurb, you need a comma after "of" and before "well, baseball."

That's the only thing that could have made this a more cogent account of the state of Twins pitching. Nice job.

Speaking of Deduno, though, my intellectual side totally agrees with you. My emotional side has me just a tiny bit intrigued. I fully realize that he is the contemporary portrayal of all those pitchers I've always wondered whatever happened to: Les Straker, Roger Erickson, Terry Felton, Mike Smithson/John Butcher, Allan Anderson, Tom Johnson, Bluegill Hughes. All, except for Felton, had good years out of nowhere and basically sucked the rest of their careers. Felton somehow fits as a less successful Deduno.

#11 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

I have this major criticism. In the Deduno blurb, you need a comma after "of" and before "well, baseball."

That's the only thing that could have made this a more cogent account of the state of Twins pitching. Nice job.

Speaking of Deduno, though, my intellectual side totally agrees with you. My emotional side has me just a tiny bit intrigued. I fully realize that he is the contemporary portrayal of all those pitchers I've always wondered whatever happened to: Les Straker, Roger Erickson, Terry Felton, Mike Smithson/John Butcher, Allan Anderson, Tom Johnson, Bluegill Hughes. All, except for Felton, had good years out of nowhere and basically sucked the rest of their careers. Felton somehow fits as a less successful Deduno.

In my very first post here, I stated that I don't know how to use commas. And, I stand by, that.

I hope I am wrong about Deduno. I obviously hope that every player on the team becomes a star. Fun fact: Terry Felton pitched his final game on the day I was born. So that's nice.