Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 5, LAA 3: Twins Outlast Angels in Gutsy Victory

mitch garver eddie rosario kyle gibson byron buxton addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Although Gibson was effective last night, looing at the results, I didn't think he was pitching well earlier in the game.At one point, he had thrown 52 pitches with only 26 strikes...50%.Was constantly missing the strike zone and sure felt like he was struggling.Great seeing him get thru 6 innings and allowing only a couple of runs.

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Don't we have a pitching coach and a bench coach? When Molitor overuses a bullpen pitcher shouldn't one of these men earn their pay and tell him to use a different pitcher. I think Hildenberg is recovering from that overuse last year. Now Pressly is the favorite. With Hughes a nonfactor it does limit the bullpen options.

really need the bats to come alive early. Put up about 10 runs early so Molly can hand it over to Hughes with an 8 run lead and watch it dwindle through 3 innings
  • 70charger, mikelink45 and Original Whizzinator like this

#23 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:36 AM

Garver got another big hit but he seems to give up a run per game with his awful catching.

#24 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

Don't we have a pitching coach and a bench coach?When Molitor overuses a bullpen pitcher shouldn't one of these men earn their pay and tell him to use a different pitcher. I think Hildenberg is recovering from that overuse last year.Now Pressly is the favorite.With Hughes a nonfactor it does limit the bullpen options. 

That doesn't mean he listens to them. He still holds rank (and, to add to the intrigue, it's possible those coaches were hired by the front office).

#25 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Although Gibson was effective last night, looing at the results, I didn't think he was pitching well earlier in the game.At one point, he had thrown 52 pitches with only 26 strikes...50%.Was constantly missing the strike zone and sure felt like he was struggling.Great seeing him get thru 6 innings and allowing only a couple of runs.

I think Gibson was doing what he had to survive the Angels lineup. That lineup is potent and for Gibson to keep the Angels in check, especially after keeping the Yankees lineup in check tells me my guarded optimism starting the year wasn't unwarranted.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#26 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

Happy for Garver, who showed two games innarow that he can play. Twins may still be open to a new catcher, but I think he holds the fort for now.

Rosario is money, He just makes things happen. And he is having a great year already.

Another good outing for Gibson, who seems to have maintained what was working for him last year.Maybe his light bulb has finally clicked on. 

A lot being made today about Trout’s nice slide on that play at third. That’s ok. Sliding is almost a lost art. I am glad to see that part of the game get airplay.Trout made a nice slide, no doubt. He earned the base. But if Eddie had been at the base instead of six feet off, Rosie woulda thrown there. And the throw would have beaten Trout by a mile. Eduardo would probably admit that after seeing film. But mental errors don’t count as errors.

Did anyone else get a kick out of Buxton’s hat flipping so high in the air?

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Gibson gets respect, somewhat grudgingly. Good for Gibson. Good for the Twins. I like home grown products, and cheer for them the most. Rentals and tourists stopping by, not so much. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver, eddie rosario, kyle gibson, byron buxton, addison reed