Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Trevor May - 1st Rehab Appearance

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

Trevor got the start tonight at Fort Meyers.Hopefully all goes well, and he can add another quality piece to the big league staff soon.

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#2 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

Not too bad. 3 innings, 1 hit, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts, 0 runs.

Apparently had some trouble locating - 58 pitches, 30 strikes.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:18 PM

Not too bad. 3 innings, 1 hit, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts, 0 runs.

Apparently had some trouble locating - 58 pitches, 30 strikes.

Yup. Anyone know/care to speculate the projected timetable and the role for May?

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,622 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

Yup. Anyone know/care to speculate the projected timetable and the role for May?

That's a can of worms.

I think that until he performs well in AAA, and until we have an idea what Santana might be up to, and until Lynn stops sucking, it will be hard to tell.

These 3 plus Odorizzi will be fighting for 2 spots. 

May does have an option

• jokin likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,235 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

I think there’s a pretty good chance the Twins exercise that option on May.

The team is in contention and has several options. They need a fully formed pitcher with command over all his pitches, which May likely won’t be for some time.

• Sconnie likes this

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

As much as I'd like to see him starting....he has to be a reliever this year right?

• jokin likes this

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,235 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:24 PM

As much as I'd like to see him starting....he has to be a reliever this year right?

I just don't see how he makes the team as a starter this season.

Which is too bad, really.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

That's where I'm at. Even if he comes back with his strikeout stuff, wouldn't he be on innings restrictions and limited pitch counts, the Twins have plenty of SP help soon available.... the RP corps, not so much.

Exercising his option, and having him ready to plug in when the next key RP falters seems like a good strategy.

Next year, @ 100%, he might be able to fill out a really strong starting five.

Edited by jokin, 12 May 2018 - 09:39 PM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#9 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:47 PM

Dick said on the broadcast, that the plan is to stretch him out as a starter.The thought being it's easier to schedule his rehab appearances and to cut him down to relief if necessary, than to stretch him out to a starter later in the season.

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,428 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:21 AM

I just don't see how he makes the team as a starter this season.

Which is too bad, really.

Someone will likely be hurt, but your first year back from TJS usually involves control issues. I think you're right that the option will be used. I do think May will be in the rotation next year, especially with Erv, Gibson, and Lynn all gone. 

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:52 AM

Someone will likely be hurt, but your first year back from TJS usually involves control issues. I think you're right that the option will be used. I do think May will be in the rotation next year, especially with Erv, Gibson, and Lynn all gone.

It's only 8 starts, but if Gibson keeps pitching like he has so far this year, he'll be coming back next year.
  • USAFChief, Jerr, Twins33 and 3 others like this

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

I think there’s a pretty good chance the Twins exercise that option on May.
The team is in contention and has several options. They need a fully formed pitcher with command over all his pitches, which May likely won’t be for some time.

I like the option possibility. Keep him stretched out. Starters will get injured. They have some doubleheader’s ahead of them. May will be a far better option than the guys they brought up last year. If he is completely dominating AAA, find a spot in the rotation.

#13 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

I don't mind stretching him out as a starter during the rehab process...it's probably better and gets him throwing more anyways which will be a positive thing for a guy who hasn't pitched professionally in awhile.  

With Santana's impending return, Odorizzi and Gibson's success at the bottom of the rotation, and Romero seemingly holding his own in the majors in a big way...I'm hoping that if all things go right he's added to the bullpen sometime after the allstar break. 

May was arguably the best reliever on the team prior to his injury and flashing borderline closer potential or at the very least shutdown high leverage late inning guy.  

The Twins are currently tied for 20th in Bullpen ERA at 4.20 and definitely near the bottom of the league in pure talent level.May's addition would be huge for a Twins bullpen group that is arguably their weakest link and really needs it.