Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Let’s Talk Mitch Garver

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

I liked Brian Harper. Something almost always happened in the field when he came up. Never walked and never struck out.

Go Mitch! (to stay on-topic)

Harper was the exact opposite of the “3 true outcome player”. He rarely hit homeruns either.

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,361 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

I'm a huge Garver supporter, but here are my thoughts:

Defensively, we've said all along that he was an offense-first catcher. He's come a long ways defensively. He won't win gold gloves, but he's just fine. Yes, he's had a couple of plays that aren't good, but so has Castro and so did Ivan Rodriguez, etc. I'm not saying Garver is in that category, but worrying about a couple of errors or passed balls isn't constructive.

Offensively, I'd love to see those 30 double, 15 home run number, but that'll be tough for a #2 catcher to put up. He could get a season or two with 100 games, and in those years, he could be a 18/10 type. That's pretty valuable for a catcher. Not an All Star, but certainly an MLBer. 

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

I hope you are right but I don’t think he is close to just fine yet. Some of the skills like calling a game will get better but I don’t know if he can improve his hands and receiving skills enough to be trusted as the regular catcher.

#24 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

No. No he hasn't. 43 is his high, and that's his only season over 40.

Also color me skeptical on Garver ever having a 50 XBH season.

I guess I should clarify that when I speak about numbers it's generally on a per game basis, as in a per 162 game pace. Mauer only had one season over 40, but that's because he was a catcher playing only 130-140 games. 

The same with Garver, I doubt he ever puts up a volume 50 XBH season, but I think he can put up a 50 xbh season per 162 games.I just think it helps to know the kind of production that a guy puts up on a per game basis.For example, the NBA lists guys as 20 point, 10 rebound per game guys even if they play 50 games in a season...the MLB does volume stats...there is value to both but classifying a guy as as a 20 HR guy because he plays 120 games or what not is misleading in my opinion because you still get more production from that position in the final 40 games and it's a good indicator of the kind of impact they make when they do play.