Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Melotakis Released

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Rochester Red Wings

• Administrators
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:52 PM

Per a press notification from the Rochester Red Wings, the Twins have released 26-year-old left-handed reliever Mason Melotakis. He had a 3.07 ERA in 14 2/3 innings this season.

• glunn likes this

#2 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

So the Twins purged a lefty with good zip, and decent numbers at AAA, yet their bullpen continues to be an issue. 

What am I missing here?

• glunn, Danchat, Monkeypaws and 3 others like this

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

So the Twins purged a lefty with good zip, and decent numbers at AAA, yet their bullpen continues to be an issue. 

What am I missing here?

I wonder if there is something else going on. I'm a bit surprised since he wasn't on the 40 man so there was no (obvious) need to make this move.

• glunn and Sconnie like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

I hope someone explains this one. He wasn't on the 40-man and Rogers, Duke and Moya have been anything but consistent this year. They DFA'd him last year to our surprise but managed to get him back. It looked like it might be a shrewd gamble to clear a roster spot at the time, but out right releasing him when it wasn't necessary makes it look like they really don't care for him.

I'd have to think there's off field issues or personality clashes. Even if his stuff isn't what we were hoping it would be, his stuff and numbers aren't worse than Dietrich Enns.

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 4 others like this

#5 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

His numbers in AAA looked like he would be a solid depth piece. I hope he doesnt go all Chargois on us an become a great reliever for someone else. What bothers me is the timing. Why now?
  • glunn and Doctor Wu like this

#6 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

I wonder if there is something else going on. I'm a bit surprised since he wasn't on the 40 man so there was no (obvious) need to make this move.

There almost has to be. Stay tuned I suppose. 

• USAFChief, Danchat, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#7 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Maybe the new FO has decided to move on from TR's boys, so they can't be compared.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#8 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Rochester currently has too many bodies, as does Chattanooga, and short of sending people back, the Twins are doing some early purging (earlier they sold Andrew McIver off from the Lookouts).

If not added to the 40-man roster, Melotakis would be a minor league free agent come season's end.

Of course, you can argue, would they be better served moving on from such folks as Enns, or perhaps Jaye (both starters in waiting). 

But it basically came down to having too many people for roster spots, no one truly on the disabled list, and having to make some decisions.

But always do question when you keep minor league free agents over players you are developing. Of course, Melotakis was removed from the 40-man last year, went unclaimed, and got another chance with the Twins. Of course, he is also left-handed.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#9 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

What are we missing here? This is really disappointing considering what we thought his potential was, (thought I remembered him finishing strong last year), and a solid start to this season.

I just don't get this move at all.
  • Monkeypaws and tarheeltwinsfan like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,239 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

I just don't get this move at all.

Easy. The new regime is against Greek lefties.After they let Theophanopoulos go, they did the same with Melotakis.About time to stock up on Polish righties.Or something

/kidding

Edited by Thrylos, 11 May 2018 - 08:33 PM.

• DocBauer and Doctor Wu like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

Maybe the new FO has decided to move on from TR's boys, so they can't be compared.

Huh?

#12 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

Rochester currently has too many bodies, as does Chattanooga, and short of sending people back, the Twins are doing some early purging (earlier they sold Andrew McIver off from the Lookouts).

If not added to the 40-man roster, Melotakis would be a minor league free agent come season's end.

Of course, you can argue, would they be better served moving on from such folks as Enns, or perhaps Jaye (both starters in waiting).

But it basically came down to having too many people for roster spots, no one truly on the disabled list, and having to make some decisions.

But always do question when you keep minor league free agents over players you are developing. Of course, Melotakis was removed from the 40-man last year, went unclaimed, and got another chance with the Twins. Of course, he is also left-handed.

very plausible, but why Melotakis, and why release not trade? It could very well have been Sam Clay or Enns.

I’m not sure if I even really care.... just curious as Melo is a guy that I recognize

#13 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

For a few years we had the Melotakis, Chagois, Burdi, Reed dreams of a great bullpen in waiting - now we have none of them.What happened?It is disappointing to see the whole class of BP arms fail.It is also fuel for my personal belief that young arms should be up in the BP soon before they flame out.But Melatokis is an different case and since I do not know him I start to think that there is a personality trait or something off the field that keeps pushing him away.

#14 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

For a few years we had the Melotakis, Chagois, Burdi, Reed dreams of a great bullpen in waiting - now we have none of them.What happened?It is disappointing to see the whole class of BP arms fail.It is also fuel for my personal belief that young arms should be up in the BP soon before they flame out.But Melatokis is an different case and since I do not know him I start to think that there is a personality trait or something off the field that keeps pushing him away.

We still have Reed. 

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

very plausible, but why Melotakis, and why release not trade? It could very well have been Sam Clay or Enns.

I’m not sure if I even really care.... just curious as Melo is a guy that I recognize

I mean, he turns 27 next month, and has never had a walk rate below 3/9. He's almost certainly minor league filler at this point. I'm guessing they tried to trade him for cash, but didn't find any takers.
  • Twins33 and Sconnie like this

#16 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

We still have Reed. 

Missed that one!Although I have to say I do not read much about him any more.

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,418 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

For a few years we had the Melotakis, Chagois, Burdi, Reed dreams of a great bullpen in waiting - now we have none of them. What happened? It is disappointing to see the whole class of BP arms fail. It is also fuel for my personal belief that young arms should be up in the BP soon before they flame out. But Melatokis is an different case and since I do not know him I start to think that there is a personality trait or something off the field that keeps pushing him away.

It’s more fuel for MY personal belief that you never count on minor leaguers until they’re proven major leaguers.

I am almost never in favor of the “Don’t sign/trade for this or that veteran because we’ve got this or that minor leaguer coming” school of roster management.

Let them force someone off the roster. Don’t hold a spot open for them.
  • D.C Twins likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#18 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

Relief prospects do not have a good track record of panning out in the Majors. The fact that a pitcher would be a reliever in college is always a red flag of some kind, whether it's the ability of the pitcher's arm to hold up, lack of command, etc. I'd never draft one in the top 100 picks.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

I hope someone explains this one. He wasn't on the 40-man and Rogers, Duke and Moya have been anything but consistent this year. They DFA'd him last year to our surprise but managed to get him back. It looked like it might be a shrewd gamble to clear a roster spot at the time, but out right releasing him when it wasn't necessary makes it look like they really don't care for him.

I'd have to think there's off field issues or personality clashes. Even if his stuff isn't what we were hoping it would be, his stuff and numbers aren't worse than Dietrich Enns.

I mean... he's way behind Rogers, Duke and Moya... Casey Crosby and Tyler Jay and Andrew Vasquez are ahead of him. Left-handed starters could end up in the bullpen. 

The reality is when he was taken off of the 40-man last year, he was topping out at like 88, 89. His secondary stuff didn't come back. He wasn't throwing any harder this spring. 

I'm almost certain there was no off field situation or personality clash. Melo is a really good guy. 

It is possible that it's just about baseball and pitching. 

• Steve Lein, Yoke, glunn and 8 others like this

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

I mean, that's a fun narrative, but there just can't be anything to it. They're not just going to drop really good players just because they were selected by Ryan or drafted by guys like Deron Johnson and Mike Radcliff (who are both still in the organization). 

• Steve Lein, howieramone2 and Broker like this