Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/10): LeBlanc Tosses Seven Shutout Innings

randy leblanc brian navarreto
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Rochester Red Wings

• Administrators
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

Randy LeBlanc continued what’s been a strong start to his 2018 season with an excellent performance and his catcher, Brian Navarreto, had a big night at the plate. The Miracle lost a late lead, the Kernels were kept in check by Brendan McKay and Rochester was rained out.TRANSACTIONS
Zack Granite was on the Red Wings’ lineup card prior to the game being called. Also, Jake Reed was reinstated from the DL.
Casey Crosby was sent from Rochester to Chattanooga.
Jimmy Kerrigan was transferred back to Fort Myers from Rochester.
Robby Rinn was sent from the Miracle to Elizabeton’s roster.

RED WINGS REPORT
Rochester at Scranton
POSTPONED

CHATTANOOGA CHATTER
Chattanooga 3, Jackson 0
Box Score

W: Randy LeBlanc (7 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K)
SV: Williams Ramirez (1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K)
HR: Brian Navarreto (2)
Multi-hit games: Navarreto, LaMonte Wade, Chris Paul

Randy LeBlanc continued his excellent start by delivering seven shutout innings, striking out eight batters in the process. Drafted in the 10th round back in 2014, LeBlanc had some trouble stepping up to the Southern League last year, seeing his ERA spike from 2.82 during his time with the Miracle to 3.99 with the Lookouts.

It appears LeBlanc is settling in, as he lowered his ERA to 2.23 and improved to 5-1 with tonight’s performance. In 40 1/3 innings, he has 35 strikeouts and 10 walks.

Catcher Brian Navarreto had a nice two-way night. He helped lead the Chattanooga staff to a shutout performance behind the dish and was 3-for-4 with a solo homer. LaMonte Wade and Chris Paul each had two hits while Nick Gordon had a double and drew a pair of walks.

MIRACLE MATTERS
Dunedin 8, Fort Myers 6
Box Score

SP: Andro Cutura (5.2 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K)
HR: None.
Multi-hit games: Mark Contreras, Jimmy Kerrigan

The Miracle held a 5-4 lead heading into the bottom of the seventh, but a big four-run inning put the Blue Jays up for good. Mark Contreras continued his hot streak by going 2-for-4 with a double and a triple. He’s recorded multiple hits in four of his last seven games.

Jimmy Kerrigan was 2-for-4 with a double and two RBIs. Jaylin Davis was 1-for-3 and drew a couple walks.

KERNELS NUGGETS
Bowling Green 4, Cedar Rapids 0
Box Score

SP: Randy Dobnak (4.1 IP, 10 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K)
HR: None.
Multi-hit games: None

The Kernels faced last year’s No. 4 overall pick Brendan McKay, which was unfortunate because he was dealing. McKay gave up just one hit in the six innings he handled and Cedar Rapids only mustered another base knock against the bullpen.

Alex Kirilloff hit a triple, David Banuelos singled and Shane Carrier drew two walks. That was it for the offense.

The bright spot for the Kernels pitching staff was Moises Gomez, who held the Hot Rods scoreless over the final 2 1/3 innings of the game.

STARS OF THE DAY
Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day: Randy LeBlanc
Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Day: Brian Navarreto

TOP PROSPECT SUMMARY
Here’s a look at how the Twins Daily Top 20 Prospects performed:

1. Royce Lewis: 0-for-4, K
3. Nick Gordon: 1-for-2, 2B, 2 BBs, R
5. Alex Kirilloff: 1-for-3, 3B, K
7. Brent Rooker: 1-for-4, R
10. Akil Baddoo: 0-for-4, K
13. Lewin Diaz: 0-for-4, RBI
14. LaMonte Wade: 2-for-4, BB
16. Ben Rortvedt: 0-for-3, 2 Ks
17. Travis Blankenhorn: 0-for-4, 3 Ks

FRIDAY’S PROBABLE STARTERS
Rochester at Scranton, 4:35 pm CT - Zack Littell
Rochester at Scranton, Game 2 - Stephen Gonsalves
Chattanooga vs. Jackson, 6:15 pm CT - Anthony Marzi
Fort Myers at Dunedin, 5:30 pm CT - Brady Anderson
Cedar Rapids at Bowling Green, 6:35 pm CT - Blayne Enlow

Please feel free to ask any questions and discuss the games.

Click here to view the article

#2 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:02 AM

Not a bad night for Brendan McKay, eh? Yet another one. Royce was eaten up.

#3 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

As I read these reports I am always thinking of the Twins and so far the fact that Gordon has not been in the bigs really bothers me.Adrianza might be a good fielder, but put his bat with Buxton and we have too big a void at the end of the lineup.Give Gordon a chance.We are wasting the opportunity with Polanco down.

We sent LaMarre down and I would have preferred Grossman, but in truth LaMonte Wade seems to be so consistent I think he would be a perfect fourth outfielder. 

• BoofBonser likes this

#4 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

Navarreto has long been known for his defense.Getting hits in 8 of his last 10 has quietly seen his average move up to .274.If he can hit at that level, he may have a bright future for the Twins.

Yes, McKay had a nice night against Cedar Rapids.But what is a college superstar who was drafted #4 doing in low A ball a year after the draft?Haven't followed his career this past year so there may be something I don't know about.But I would be disappointed if I had written him the check he demanded. 

• 70charger likes this

#5 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Rochester Red Wings

• Administrators
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:12 AM

Yes, McKay had a nice night against Cedar Rapids.But what is a college superstar who was drafted #4 doing in low A ball a year after the draft?Haven't followed his career this past year so there may be something I don't know about.But I would be disappointed if I had written him the check he demanded. 

And people think the Twins move their prospects along slowly :)

• gil4, James, nicksaviking and 5 others like this

#6 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

McKay's numbers look surprisingly great so far this year, both on the mound and in the batter's box (although no power to speak of yet). Is there a reason he's only averaging about 4 innings per start? I can't find game logs for him that include pitching numbers.

#7 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

Can we include the affiliates record in this somewhere? I like to know how the teams are doing but am too lazy to go look it up myself. Which is perhaps an argument against enabling me. Your call.

• dbminn, cmoss84 and MN_ExPat like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,865 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

Navarreto has long been known for his defense. Getting hits in 8 of his last 10 has quietly seen his average move up to .274. If he can hit at that level, he may have a bright future for the Twins.

Yes, McKay had a nice night against Cedar Rapids. But what is a college superstar who was drafted #4 doing in low A ball a year after the draft? Haven't followed his career this past year so there may be something I don't know about. But I would be disappointed if I had written him the check he demanded.

He's not the one deciding where he is. I believe he was hitting more last year, and not pitching. He shows no reason not to be in AA right now, as a pitcher. So, not sure who to be disappointed in, him, or those not promoting him
  • Dance with Disco Dan and MN_ExPat like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#9 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

Jaylin Davis is quietly hitting a solid .293/.398/.467 at Fort Myers. He's walking more and striking out less than past years. Good to see a mid-ranked prospect start to figure things out. 

• Tibs, gagu and BoofBonser like this

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

McKay's numbers look surprisingly great so far this year, both on the mound and in the batter's box (although no power to speak of yet). Is there a reason he's only averaging about 4 innings per start? I can't find game logs for him that include pitching numbers.

He threw only like 55 pitches in 6 innings last night. They must really be limiting his pitch and innings count. They're also having him hit, ,so I'm sure there is something to that.

I just don't know why he wouldn't be doing that in High-A at this point. 

• milldam, Dman, Taildragger8791 and 1 other like this

#11 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

He's not the one deciding where he is. I believe he was hitting more last year, and not pitching. He shows no reason not to be in AA right now, as a pitcher. So, not sure who to be disappointed in, him, or those not promoting him

I would only be disappointed in anyone who implied that Royce's performance against McKay last night was an indictment of the Twins decision to take Royce.

• James, nicksaviking, 70charger and 1 other like this

#12 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Not a bad night for their left fielder Gomez either, eh? Our first baseman Rodriquez was eaten up.

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,865 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

I would only be disappointed in anyone who implied that Royce's performance against McKay last night was an indictment of the Twins decision to take Royce.

Way too early to make any judgements on the top picks last year, agreed.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#14 Dance with Disco Dan

Dance with Disco Dan

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

I really look forward to the daily Kernels update given all the positional prospects in their lineup. It's been particularly fun to watch Kirilloff consistently produce extra-base hits lately --- .769 SLG and 1.211 OPS in 10 May games.He won't be long for the Midwest League.

• Dman and DocBauer like this

#15 gagu

gagu

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLimache, Chile

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

Lewis is still 18 years old. McKay 22. Apple seeds and unripened oranges. Not knocking McKay, but Lewis is 2.3 years younger than the average competitor and hitting .356 with a +.800 OPS. 

• DocBauer and twinssouth like this

#16 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

I was prepared for people implying this too but it seems like no one really is, it turns out that Twins Daily posters are pretty smart. McKay has been pretty good so far but I just don't see that high of a ceiling with him compared to Lewis. If anything I think Gore is the one to watch as it relates to the Lewis pick. However I have a feeling we will be pretty happy with Royce when it's all said and done
  • h2oface and DocBauer like this

#17 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:04 AM

Lewis is still 18 years old. McKay 22. Apple seeds and unripened oranges. Not knocking McKay, but Lewis is 2.3 years younger than the average competitor and hitting .356 with a +.800 OPS. 

I'm not knocking Royce, either. It was just a point of interest, and I found this meeting interesting, because they were both considered 1st in draft options. And this night, McKay got the best of the whole team, while he was in there. I am sure there will be times it doesn't turn out that way. I try not to imply. I can't help if anyone else assumes something that is not said. I hope Lewis becomes a superstar. I also don't hold much to the age argument. Age is insignificant once the competition starts. Look at women's (or maybe is should be called girls?) gymnastics. I know a lot of people do, but there are early bloomers and late bloomers, and once on the field, it matters not to me.

Edited by h2oface, 13 May 2018 - 03:13 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: randy leblanc, brian navarreto