Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Wander Javier out for the year

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,514 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

LaVelle Neal wrote an article saying that Wander Javier will have shoulder surgery and miss the entire season. 

http://www.startribu...ason/482335492/

That's what I was hearing, but couldn't get verified. Now, it's verified. 

#2 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Dadgummit.  Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery.  I don't know what or if there is any kind of 'average' amount of serious injuries per organization, but it seems like the odds would say that if you have any kind of prospect depth at all--and the Twins do--that a season ending injury like this is bound to happen.  Wander drew the short straw; let's hope it is the only one.

• mikelink45 likes this

#3 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

I assume it's easier for younger people to recover from surgery than people in their 30s. Best of luck to him.

#4 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

That's unfortunate. Hoping for a full recovery for him. Injuries really test the patience of young athletes. Having watched my daughter come back from a displaced elbow fracture the past several months, I can imagine the disappointment and frustration that he will have to get through the rest of the year. Good luck to him.

#5 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

Dude keeps getting injured. Unlucky as can be.

• Vanimal46 and sftwinsfan like this

#6 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

I wish and hope for a successful and speedy recovery.

Is there just some curse for top Twins prospects to have to miss a season due to injury?
  • birdwatcher likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

Waaaaaa ... :(

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

Bummer. Good luck to him.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

Dang, I would have hoped that labrum surgery on a non-throwing arm would not require such a long recovery. I feel bad for the young man.

#10 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

Damn.Heal well, and heal fast, Wander.

I wish we could make a surgery decision quicker when we're talking about non-throwing arm on a position player.

#11 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Sano a couple years ago.Kiriloff last year.Javier this year.And these are position players sitting out a full year because of arm/shoulder injuries.  

Fortunately, I hear the facilities in Fort Myers are first class.Should make his road back a bit easier to go down.

Best of luck!

#12 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

Sad the Kid will be 20 before he plays his 51st minor league game.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#13 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

He might be recovered already if they'd done the procedure at the end of last season.
Yes, i understand that surgery is a major thing. And no, I'm not suggesting they forcibly operate on some one. But they almost always end up needing the surgery anyways, and miss an extra season as well.
  • sftwinsfan likes this

#14 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Dang, I would have hoped that labrum surgery on a non-throwing arm would not require such a long recovery. I feel bad for the young man.

I wrote a blog post that discusses some of this topic. Please feel free to review if you'd like. Non-throwing shoulders are preferable (if you had to pick one), but still see significant stress when batting.

http://twinsdaily.co...vier-injury-qa/

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#15 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

He might be recovered already if they'd done the procedure at the end of last season.
Yes, i understand that surgery is a major thing. And no, I'm not suggesting they forcibly operate on some one. But they almost always end up needing the surgery anyways, and miss an extra season as well.

I agree that this would have been the ideal situation. But I can tell you from experience that in many cases (perhaps the majority) the decision to opt for surgery is far from clear. And the return to play rate from labrum surgery in baseball is not 100% (though I suspect it is better for non-throwing shoulders than it is for throwing shoulders). It always seems like an easier call with the benefit of hindsight.

• Carole Keller and Vanimal46 like this

#16 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

I wrote a blog post that discusses some of this topic. Please feel free to review if you'd like. Non-throwing shoulders are preferable (if you had to pick one), but still see significant stress when batting.

http://twinsdaily.co...vier-injury-qa/

This is fantastic! Thanks, heezy!

If y'all haven't read this yet, it's worth the brief bit of time. Well explained for we lay persons.

• Han Joelo likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#17 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

Very disappointing - no injury and surgery is an automatic good healing. I am struggling with a surgery that I thought would be better and heal quicker than it has.Each of us is different that way.I can only hope that Javier has great luck.