Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Mets Bat Out of Order

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

You may have heard about the Mets batting out of order against the Reds on Wednesday. It's pretty rare in the majors, last occurring July 4, 2016. The crew chief Jerry Meals said he last saw it in the minors 32 years ago. The most entertaining thing about this is that MLB managers don't understand the rule and are willing to demonstrate their ignorance publicly.

Here is a quick recap of what happened. The Mets' lineup card turned in at the pre-game conference listed the first five batters as Nimmo, Cabrera, Flores, Bruce, and Gonzalez, but the lineup posted in the dugout (and on the scoreboard) had Flores and Cabrera reversed.  In the first inning, Nimmo and Flores struck out.Cabrera then hit a ground rule double. The Reds appealed, and Cabrera was removed from the bases, and the third out was declared. (More on that later.) 

Here is confused manager number one:

"I knew right when they went up there that we were out of order," [Mets manager Mickey] Callaway said. "It was an administrative thing that I didn't take care of. Once they announce you, you can't do anything."

He was wrong and could have avoided the whole mess if he understood the rule. You can't undo a sub once announced, but with batting out order, there is no penalty until the improper batter has completed the at-bat. If it is discovered during the at-bat, the remedy is to have the proper batter assume the count and finish the at-bat.

The fun continued in the top of the second. The Mets send Gonzalez up to bat, and he hits a single. Reds manager Jim Riggleman thought he was going to get another free out because the Mets skipped Bruce. This time the Mets were right and he was wrong. The first pitch to Cabrera made the previous batter (Flores) legal, which meant the proper batter should have been Bruce. When Cabrera completed the at-bat, the improper batter (Cabrera) was removed from the bases and the proper batter (Bruce) was declared out for failing to appear in his turn.Gonzalez followed Bruce in the lineup and was the correct batter to have leading off the next inning.

This led to some fun in the box score as well. When Cabrera hit that double, it was treated as if it didn't happen. Cabrera's spot in the lineup was legally skipped in the first inning, so Cabrera was 0-for-3 despite batting four times and having no BB, HBP, Sac or SF to explain the missing AB. Poor Jay Bruce's rough year reached a new low - he managed to go 0-for-4 while only coming to the plate three times.

I bet he doesn't like the rule as much as I do.

• USAFChief, Blake, gunnarthor and 2 others like this

#2 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,001 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

I can just see the Reds manager, as soon as he saw Cabrera at the plate, salivating at the idea of a free out.

I can also see a manager telling the pitcher to groove a fastball in order to get the AB over quickly.

Can you imagine the hilarity of a player putting one in the seats yet being declared out?

Edited by Blake, 10 May 2018 - 09:33 AM.

• gil4 likes this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

He was wrong and could have avoided the whole mess if he understood the rule. You can't undo a sub once announced, but with batting out order, there is no penalty until the improper batter has completed the at-bat. If it is discovered during the at-bat, the remedy is to have the proper batter assume the count and finish the at-bat.

The new intentional walk rule should probably be used by the opposing manager as soon as he recognizes the situation. Get the at bat over as soon as the batter steps in the box before the violating team can take any remedy.

• gunnarthor, gil4, Dantes929 and 1 other like this

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Nice write up!

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

Mistakes happen, so I'd be forgiving of filling out the wrong order.
But not even knowing the rule? How is that even possible?

#6 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

I had one when I was coaching

I can just see the Reds manager, as soon as he saw Cabrera at the plate, salivating at the idea of a free out.

I had one when I was coaching. They switched their 7 and 8 batter.The first two batters got out (8 & 7), but 9 got a hit. I appealed for batting out of order - it would have been 8 declared out and 9 leading off the next (instead of a baserunner and the top of the order coming up), but it was the town league, the umpire didn't understand (they were at the 9th spot in the book and the 9th batter hit was his logic.)

I played under protest mainly to make him look up the rule after the game. We won, so the protest was ignored, but it was such a beautiful setup to use the rule foiled by incompetence of the umpire.(That's a stronger word than I want to use, but my thesaurus is coming up empty. In the town league, it they are paying attention to the play and making calls after the plays happen, not before, we're doing good. Understanding the complexities of batting out of order is an unrealistic expectation.)

#7 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

Mistakes happen, so I'd be forgiving of filling out the wrong order.
But not even knowing the rule? How is that even possible?

There was a Ron Luciano book "The Umpire Strikes Back" that talked about MLB umpires struggling with it, but I'm guessing he was exaggerating.It's not THAT complicated.

#8 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,001 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

There was a Ron Luciano book "The Umpire Strikes Back" that talked about MLB umpires struggling with it, but I'm guessing he was exaggerating.It's not THAT complicated.

"A face made for radio and and voice made for mime."

• ashburyjohn and gil4 like this

#9 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

"A face made for radio and and voice made for mime."

That's him. I can relate.

• Blake likes this

#10 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,001 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

That makes two of us.

• gil4 likes this

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,856 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

That makes two of us.

That makes two of you.

• Blake and gil4 like this

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#12 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

That makes two of you.

:P