Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: How Good is Cleveland, Really?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,733 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

I seriously doubt Miller is resigned.

I just don't see Cleveland being so far out of the race for the title in arguably the worst division in baseball that they're selling by mid-late July. It would be shocking to say the least. 

Maybe not a full firesale...but I could see them blowing up that bullpen.

But yes, you're right, it would be shocking.But shocking teams sell off at the deadline every year, let's hope it's our top rival this time, :)

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#22 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

When Salazar comes back, Cleveland might run away.

Look at the ERA of their top 4 starters:

Bauer 2.53
Kluber 2.62
Clevinger 2.76
Carrasco 3.61

Ouch! Point made.

#23 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

When Salazar comes back, Cleveland might run away.

Look at the ERA of their top 4 starters:

Bauer 2.53
Kluber 2.62
Clevinger 2.76
Carrasco 3.61

This is good context, and helps substantiate how consistent and excellent Cleveland's rotation has been. But I'll add this nugget:

Cleveland Starters by FIP:

Clevinger - 2.95

Bauer - 3.17

Carrasco - 3.32

Kluber - 3.95

Tomlin - 9.71

Minnesota Starters by FIP:

Romero - 2.82

Gibson - 3.11

Berrios - 3.56 

Lynn - 5.46

Odorizzi - 5.55

Not the hugest disparity, and the Twins still have Erv, Gonsalves and May in the offing. The Indians don't really have those kinds of reinforcements on deck. Personally I have very little confidence Salazar is going to return with any kind of effectiveness for Cleveland this summer; his shoulder is messed up. 

• howieramone2 likes this

#24 TFRazor

TFRazor

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

From the post:

"Their offense has scuffled even with Jose Ramirez and Francisco Lindor hitting well. Jason Kipnis, who hasn't been a significantly above-average hitter since 2015, sports an OPS 90 points lower than Logan Morrison's"

If you're an Indians fan, this should scare the living daylights out of you

#25 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

what would scare me if i was an indians fan is that the twins lost 11 of 12 and are still only one game behind the defending american league champs.

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

what would scare me if i was an indians fan is that the twins lost 11 of 12 and are still only one game behind the defending american league champs.

Unless the last year was all a dream, I think the Astros are the defending AL champions.

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,443 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

Generally teams with better pitching are more consistent, and play games closer to the vest. Teams built on offense are more streaky. And they didn't invent the phrase "good pitching beats good hitting" for no reason. Over the long haul I always go with pitching and defense. When the Twims are hitting like the last few games they will punish teams. But they continue you their recent history of being an all or nothing offense. When they get rolling everyone hits, but when it's a bleak day they really do not seem to have someone to pick them up. I know some of that is just basebal, but they seem to have perfected it.

If I recall correctly, Stengel's actual quote is "Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice versa."

• DannySD likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#28 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

Unless the last year was all a dream, I think the Astros are the defending AL champions.

hmm. you make an interesting point. i'm old enough that i still think of the astros as an nl team ...

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,453 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

This is good context, and helps substantiate how consistent and excellent Cleveland's rotation has been. But I'll add this nugget:

Cleveland Starters by FIP:
Clevinger - 2.95
Bauer - 3.17
Carrasco - 3.32
Kluber - 3.95
Tomlin - 9.71

Minnesota Starters by FIP:
Romero - 2.82
Gibson - 3.11
Berrios - 3.56
Lynn - 5.46
Odorizzi - 5.55

Not the hugest disparity, and the Twins still have Erv, Gonsalves and May in the offing. The Indians don't really have those kinds of reinforcements on deck. Personally I have very little confidence Salazar is going to return with any kind of effectiveness for Cleveland this summer; his shoulder is messed up.

Romero has two starts. Not saying it can't continue.... But what are the odds?

Cleveland has been great for two years. I'm guessing they are a low nineties win team this year.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#30 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

If I recall correctly, Stengel's actual quote is "Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice versa."

I never knew Casey delved that deeply into the game? :). Frankly I wasn't quoting him as I had no idea he said that, or any part of it. The observation is age old, and I for one would always prefer to be the team with the good pitchers.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!