Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Eduardo Escobar 2019 Starting 2nd Baseman?

eduardo escobar brian dozier royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

As we have seen over the years when given opportunities to play every day Eduardo Escobar shines.Filling in for Miguel Sano so far this year he has shown he has the bat to be 3rd baseman, posting a .993 OPS while hitting 15 doubles and 7 home runs in 2018. 

Over his career Escobar has primarily played the left side of infield playing 322 games at short and 196 at 3rd base.However, he has played a handful of games at 2nd base in his career.The opportunities have been limited in Minnesota over the last 4 or 5 years with Dozier being a fixture there. 

However, it has been well publicized Brian Dozier would like to test free agency this winter.And if he finds a new home, there is suddenly a glaring hole on the right side of the infield.Granted, Dozier isn't doing much to increase his value as of now, but Dozier is the type of hitter who can go on absolute tears and make month long slumps disappear, which would likely increase his value again to levels the Twins may not want to pay.

This is where Escobar comes in.Also a free agent at the end of the season, his reputation is not that of Dozier yet.Which means he likely will cost much less on the open market, if he gets there.  

In small sample sizes defensively at 2nd base Eduardo's defensive metrics compare relatively close to Dozier.Escobar is nearly two years younger than Dozier as well. 

Additionally, Escobar's ability to play multiple positions gives the Twins flexibility into the future.For example if the Twins can sign him for a 3-4 year deal this off-season he can be penciled in to be the 2nd baseman in 2019 and at least the beginning of 2020.But if Royce Lewis comes knocking in 2020 and continues to be the Shortstop everyone hopes he becomes Jorge Polanco can then be slid over to 2nd base and Esco back to 3rd assuming Sano will be a 1st baseman/DH by that time.

I don't think this is outside the realm of possibilities and personally believe this is a great option for the Twins future infield.

* Disclaimer - I am a very big Eduardo Escobar fan and am long Escobar stock.

• glunn, nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN and 14 others like this

#2 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Odds are he would be the full time third baseman by next year. Sano isnt holding up too well over there. Sano will likely be a DH who plays some at third and 1B after this or maybe after next season if we keep Morrison another year.
  • Cory Engelhardt and ken like this

#3 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

I think wherever you put him the Twins need to do their best to bring this guy back. He has done nothing but produce, he's never hurt, you rarely hear anything negative about him. 

Worse case you bring him back and have possibly the best utility infielder in the league. 

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, jun and 2 others like this

#4 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

With Dozier's impending departure, this is the guy I thought we would certainly extend in the off-season.

Didn't go that way. I seriously wonder why not.

• jun likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,087 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

I wonder what he'll cost to retain.I don't think he's coming cheap.

#6 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Is there some reason why second base couldn’t be manned by Alex Gordon or Jorge Polanco in 2019?

Forget about those guys?

IMO, Polanco is a key guy moving ahead, primarily because his contact approach contrasts with the rest of the core lineup. He would easily slot into any number of lineup positions.
  • goulik likes this

#7 jun

jun

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

Is there some reason why second base couldn’t be manned by Alex Gordon or Jorge Polanco in 2019?

Forget about those guys?

IMO, Polanco is a key guy moving ahead, primarily because his contact approach contrasts with the rest of the core lineup. He would easily slot into any number of lineup positions.

Which Polanco are you talking about? The one who has been suspended for 80 games or the one who made too many errors on the field? He might be a part moving forward, I am not sure he is the key guy though. Especially if the key guys are Buxton, Sano, Lewis, Romero, Gonsalves and Gordon.

Edited by jun, 09 May 2018 - 01:31 PM.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#8 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

Odds are he would be the full time third baseman by next year. Sano isnt holding up too well over there. Sano will likely be a DH who plays some at third and 1B after this or maybe after next season if we keep Morrison another year.

This post seems to imply that playing 3B is a factor in Sano's injuries. I don't believe that's the case this year and it certainly wasn't the case during the last two months of 2017. I think he'll be at 3B most days when he's healthy.
  • SwainZag and Broker like this

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Forget about those guys?

Those are both speculative players. I don't care if one of them wins the 2B job, but either way there's room on the 25 man for Escobar. I'd be more than happy if he played a vintage Ben Zobrist role; not knowing where he's going to play until he shows up to the stadium and not caring which position it is as long as he gets to hit.

• Loosey, 70charger, Danchat and 4 others like this

#10 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

Which Polanco are you talking about? The one who has been suspended for 80 games or the one who made too many errors on the field? He might be a part moving forward, I am not sure he is the key guy though. Especially if the key guys are Buxton, Sano, Lewis, Romero, Gonsalves and Gordon.

What’s the difference between making an error or having range so poor that the ball gets past the player for a hit? Because that’s the difference between Escobar and Polanco. Escobar’s range isn’t going to get better. Polanco’s error rate might. Indeed, most players have their error rates go down as they gain experience. Additionally, a large chunk of them occurred during his truly horrendous midseason stretch. I can’t give you an exact number, but I distinctly remember looking up error totals last year by going through dozens of box scores and his error rate definitely spiked for 6 weeks or so following his grandfather’s death.
  • Drew and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#11 jun

jun

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

What’s the difference between making an error or having range so poor that the ball gets past the player for a hit? Because that’s the difference between Escobar and Polanco. Escobar’s range isn’t going to get better. Polanco’s error rate might. Indeed, most players have their error rates go down as they gain experience. Additionally, a large chunk of them occurred during his truly horrendous midseason stretch. I can’t give you an exact number, but I distinctly remember looking up error totals last year by going through dozens of box scores and his error rate definitely spiked for 6 weeks or so following his grandfather’s death.

The difference is Escobar usually does not overdo it (Escobar does not do anything he is incapable of). Please don't make excuses for making errors on the field. Polanco gets paid as a professional baseball player. He is not the only one who has to deal with family loss. Anyway they are about the same on the field with Escobar having the slight edge. Escobar certainly has a better bat with more power. Escobar should get the starting job over Polanco.

Edited by jun, 09 May 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#12 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

This post seems to imply that playing 3B is a factor in Sano's injuries. I don't believe that's the case this year and it certainly wasn't the case during the last two months of 2017. I think he'll be at 3B most days when he's healthy.

No, i was saying if sano is going to have leg problems moving forward and gains more weight, he will likely move to DH sooner as a preventative measure to limit risks of future injuries.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#13 jkcarew

jkcarew

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

Escobar's career OPS+ is up to 94.Not sure he's going to sustain the offensive value you would want from an every-day corner infielder.(But, never say never, I guess.)

But to me Escobar's best value remains as a utility infielder.He's turning into the classic utility infielder that you'd want on a championship-caliber team.Decent offensively and defensively...better defensively than the starting corner infielders, while not giving up a ton offensively; and probably better offensively than most guys in the middle, without giving up a ton defensively.That's the sweet spot for a super utility infielder.Guy's like that can be in the lineup nearly every day...somewhere.

Also, just because I'm reading the phrase "Escobar filling in for Sano" so frequently....

Escobar is not currently filling in for Sano.Adrianza is filling in for Sano.

#14 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

I have a hard time imaging Escobar's market because there haven't been many players like him. We usually don't see infielders peak at age 28-29 and hit so much better than their past track record indicated. He has position flexibility, but he's not good at any one position. I'm not even going to throw out a projected contract because I just don't know what MLB teams are going to offer him. (that's not necessarily a positive or negative statement.)

I hope the Twins will try to retain Dozier and Escobar and at least offer them deals, but if they're going to earn a big deal on the free agent market, then it'd be wise to let them go. It's hard to project what the infield will look like with Polanco currently suspended and Gordon arriving sometime within the next year. I would like to see one of Dozier or Escobar back with the Twins for 2019.

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

How much different is Escobar's value from Eduardo Nunez? 

• nicksaviking, ken and Doctor Wu like this

#16 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Crazy to think about Escobar and the qualifying offer. He’s not there yet, but he’s heading in that direction. He’s on a tear that is approaching a calendar year.
  • jun likes this

#17 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

I think the more likely scenario is Escobar is brought back to play 3B with Gordon at SS, Polanco at 2B, and Sano at 1B. 

Based on Escobar's play since the middle of last season, a more interesting question is would the Twins give Escobar a qualifying offer this off-season ($17M one year offer that gets the Twins a compensation draft pick if he leaves)?

#18 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

Can Alex Gordon really play second base?
  • SwainZag, PseudoSABR, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#19 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

Count me in the camp of those who would rather have Escobar than Dozier even if the money was the same. Since Esco will probably be cheaper, I would be more than happy to warmly applaud Dozier whenever he returns to Target Field next year with his new team.

#20 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

I would trade Sano and keep both Dozier and Escobar assuming you could get it done for a combined $30 million/year or so. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eduardo escobar, brian dozier, royce lewis