Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Rotation

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

Don't forget Pineda

• Nine of twelve likes this

#22 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

I think May will take awhile to work his way back in the minors and while they said he would come back as a starter I don't think that is a given.I would consider him, like Pineda, an asset for next year.

Once Santana is back it seems like Odirizzi/ Lynn/ Gibson/ Gonsalvez/ Mejia (where did he go?) are fighting for 2 spots. 

Lynn has the best track record if he gets his control problems corrected.

Gibson's changes have been intriguing but he is still prone to collapsing quickly.

Gonsalvez probably stays in AAA to be injury insurance.

Mejia probably moves to the pen.

Odirizzi is the most interesting to me, he has been pretty solid as a starter but he throws so many pitches he is always done by the 5th or 6th inning.Would his stuff play up in the pen?Could he have a Wade Davis style transformation to being a solid late inning guy?

#23 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

I don't give May a single moments thought unless one of my friends tells me the Twins screwed him over.IN that case I remind them of his career WHIP.Time for Trevor to put on the big boy pants.Stop Tweeting and playing video games and stay on the field.I am getting tired of people making his case.How about he prove himself first?The clock is ticking.Dude is 28 now.Enough already.Enough.

I hope he does well, but I am tired of certain people I know bemoaning his plight with this organization.Sorry to vent it here

• gunnarthor, Intramural Legend and howieramone2 like this

#24 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

I don't understand why people still think May should be a starter. He hasn't had much success being a starter. I would be happy if he can become a reliable bullpen arm.

People wanting May as a starter was mainly due to two factors. First, May had health issues as a reliever that have to some extent been blamed on the unpredictability and frequency of relief appearances. The other main reason is that until this season May had better stuff than all but a couple of the guys that were starting for the Twins (Santana and Berrios).

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#25 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Kershaw:

169 between AAA and MLB

Scherzer:

109 between MLB and AAA
170 first full year as starter

Verlander

186 first MLB season

I don't think the jump to 160-180 innings after 125 last year is that crazy of an ask.

None of them had TJ surgery at Age 20, I'm not sure how those are valid comps

• ThejacKmp and SwainZag like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#26 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

Do we go to a 6 man rotation?

Saves innings on Romero and, to a lesser extent, Berrios. Keeps Santana fresh. I don't see any of the 6 being knocked out. Like mentioned above-good problem to have, and injuries happen every year. 

I would support a six man rotation.I'm almost 100% positive it has zero chance of happening but it's a good idea in my mind. Saves innings on Berrios and Romero and would allow Lynn to stay in the rotation if he turns it around. Could also create an opening for Gonsalves potentially if one of the others falters such as Gibson who is prone to complete meltdowns.

Berrios

Romero

Gibson

Odorizzi

Lynn

Santana

Potential options

Gonsalves, Meija, May (late summer maybe)

Edited by laloesch, 08 May 2018 - 06:30 PM.

• cmoss84 likes this

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

I don't give May a single moments thought unless one of my friends tells me the Twins screwed him over. IN that case I remind them of his career WHIP. Time for Trevor to put on the big boy pants. Stop Tweeting and playing video games and stay on the field. I am getting tired of people making his case. How about he prove himself first? The clock is ticking. Dude is 28 now. Enough already. Enough.

I hope he does well, but I am tired of certain people I know bemoaning his plight with this organization. Sorry to vent it here

While I agree that players need to be able to stay on the field to be relevant, I'm not sure what Twitter or video games have to do with any of it.
  • nicksaviking, ThejacKmp, Oxtung and 5 others like this

#28 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

While I agree that players need to be able to stay on the field to be relevant, I'm not sure what Twitter or video games have to do with any of it.

I would only tell you that the Twins probably want him to have more innings pitched than Tweets.He has had a variety of ailments that has held him back.That is what we know.Whether there is a connection between Tweets and video games to pitching in games is not what my statement was about.

Sorry about that post.I carried out a discussion I had elsewhere with friends who think the Twins have messed him up on this board,Not a discussion I want to start here! 

#29 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Yah, May has to prove himself again in order to get a chance. Right now, I see him as a long shot to ever make the Twins rotation. He was at his best when he was coming in and throwing 95-98mph gas and breezing through the 8th inning. I'm sorry for him if he feels like that is not where we get the most out of him, but I think it is. 

I'd love to see him come back with that heat and become an effective reliever with this club. That has plenty of value to this team IMO.

• jun and twins1095 like this

#30 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Yah, May has to prove himself again in order to get a chance. Right now, I see him as a long shot to ever make the Twins rotation. He was at his best when he was coming in and throwing 95-98mph gas and breezing through the 8th inning. I'm sorry for him if he feels like that is not where we get the most out of him, but I think it is. 

I'd love to see him come back with that heat and become an effective reliever with this club. That has plenty of value to this team IMO.

Can't think of him as anything but a reliever.

• Tomj14 likes this

#31 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

The problem is, he wasn't doing this. 

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#32 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

There should be no such things as a innings limit on a pitcher for a season. It should be a limit on number of pitches thrown

It’s not quite that simple. 100 pitches over 6 innings is less wear and tear than 100 pitches over 8 innings due to the stress of additional warm-ups, and the arm cooling down and heating up more often. I have to think smart organizations that have millions invested in pitchers take both into account in a much more scientific way than I can.

Edited by Cap'n Piranha, 09 May 2018 - 10:18 PM.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#33 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:29 PM

Santana can't come back until 5/28. They have a double-header on 6/5. I wouldn't be surprised if they kick the can and just go with a 6 man rotation for at least 2 turns until after the double-header.

We need to brace ourselves for the high possibility that they will keep Lynn over Romero if they can possibly justify doing so. 

Edited by howeda7, 09 May 2018 - 10:31 PM.

#34 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:23 AM

I would only tell you that the Twins probably want him to have more innings pitched than Tweets.He has had a variety of ailments that has held him back.That is what we know.Whether there is a connection between Tweets and video games to pitching in games is not what my statement was about.

Sorry about that post.I carried out a discussion I had elsewhere with friends who think the Twins have messed him up on this board,Not a discussion I want to start here! 

Comparing innings pitched to activity on twitter is beyond being odd as one has nothing to do with the other.

• Oxtung, SwainZag and TFRazor like this

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,281 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

Do we go to a 6 man rotation?

Saves innings on Romero and, to a lesser extent, Berrios. Keeps Santana fresh. I don't see any of the 6 being knocked out. Like mentioned above-good problem to have, and injuries happen every year. 

If no one is hurt, this is where I think they go. Romero will be on an innings limit this year, and going to a 6 man effectively allows him to hit that limit and pitch into October... that assumes of course that he doesn't implode and no one gets hurt.

#36 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,441 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

It’s not quite that simple. 100 pitches over 6 innings is less wear and tear than 100 pitches over 8 innings due to the stress of additional warm-ups, and the arm cooling down and heating up more often. I have to think smart organizations that have millions invested in pitchers take both into account in a much more scientific way than I can.

I don't know, but this seems backwards to me. My guess is that 100 pitches over 8 innings results in less wear and tear than 100 pitches over 6 innings, although I'd guess the difference is small.

I'd base my opinion on the simple correlation between the above, and my almost certain belief that 100 pitches over 8 innings is less stressful than 100 pitches over 1 inning.  

My belief is that more, over less time, is more stressful than the same amount, over more time.

• 70charger, jud6312 and Tomj14 like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#37 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

The problem is, he wasn't doing this. 

What was he doing then? He threw hard and was our best reliever for a stretch. If I mispoke and gave him more credit than he was due, whatever. My point is he was an effective reliever and threw hard. 

#38 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

I don't know, but this seems backwards to me. My guess is that 100 pitches over 8 innings results in less wear and tear than 100 pitches over 6 innings, although I'd guess the difference is small.

I'd base my opinion on the simple correlation between the above, and my almost certain belief that 100 pitches over 8 innings is less stressful than 100 pitches over 1 inning.

My belief is that more, over less time, is more stressful than the same amount, over more time.

I would be inclined to agree with this assessment. 100 pitches in 5 or 6 innings were almost certainly higher stress than 100 in 7 or 8 would be.

As for the 6 man rotation idea, I guess that’s fine through the June doubleheader. But, realistically there is no way the Twins can carry 6 starters and 8 relievers (the number they have now). 7 would still mean a very short bench. Unless the starters consistently pitch 6-7 innings, 6 relievers wouldn’t likely be enough. I’m not too worried about it. They usually work themselves out.

#39 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

As for the 6 man rotation idea, I guess that’s fine through the June doubleheader. But, realistically there is no way the Twins can carry 6 starters and 8 relievers (the number they have now). 7 would still mean a very short bench. Unless the starters consistently pitch 6-7 innings, 6 relievers wouldn’t likely be enough. I’m not too worried about it. They usually work themselves out.

Agree with this.Also, between the options they have on Romero/Gonsalves/Mejia and the 10-day DL, they could manipulate a lot (Dodgers do a lot of this). 

#40 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

I live in LA. Trust me, the Dodgers have a roughly 7 man rotation and they almost never have a situation where there are too many available starters. 6 is about right.We will almost always have one that need to be skipped due to arm/shoulder/fatigue/innings limit issues, one on the DL, or one that needs to go to the BP (or AAA) to "work out some mechanical issues",aka sucks and is ineffective. Having 6 competent starters is a blessing. Santana in, Hughes bye bye. 

• ToddlerHarmon likes this