Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Rotation

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

I'm filing this under "good problems to have" but how will this rotation look when Santana and May get healthy?

Berrios

Romero

Gibson

Odorizzi

Lynn

Santana

May

May is the obvious guy to push the bullpen but I really like him better as a starter. 

I think Lynn starts pitching better here and will be tough to bump out of the rotation. 

There will always be injuries but it will be interesting to see how Molly handles this moving forward. 

• Luke Albrecht and nclahammer like this

#2 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

I think this is a really good problem to have no doubt and I would even venture to add Gonsalves and Littell as future callups.At this point the Twins would be crazy to send Romero down when Santana is back in the mix so it then becomes a matter of whose better, Odorizzi, Lynn or Gibson.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

Barring injuries, Odorizzi, Gibson and Berrios are locks to remain in the rotation. Romero is too unless he falls apart. When Santana comes back, he'll get his spot back. So Lynn would be the odd man out if there are no injuries/demotions for bad play.

May hasn't really proven much and I'm curious on what his status is in the locker room after this offseason. I imagine he'll go to AAA after he's healthy to work on starting. 

• jun and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#4 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

May has pitched all of 45 innings the past 2 years. Prior to having TJ, he was on the DL four times in little over a season. His claim to fame is, his last 3 or 4 starts were his best, before he was replaced in the rotation, when Santana came back from his suspension.

I believe he's fighting to save his career.

Edited by howieramone2, 08 May 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• gunnarthor, notoriousgod71, jun and 3 others like this

It's official. We received more for board scapegoat John Ryan Murphy, than we did for board favorites Pinto, Arcia, and Vargas combined.

#5 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

I think this is a really good problem to have no doubt and I would even venture to add Gonsalves and Littell as future callups.At this point the Twins would be crazy to send Romero down when Santana is back in the mix so it then becomes a matter of whose better, Odorizzi, Lynn or Gibson.

Not really sold on Littell yet but I think Gonsalves is very close to being ready also. 

• jun and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#6 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

Good problem to have indeed, but I'll wait to sort it out when I need to.A lot of things can happen between now and that point.Injuries have a way of making decision making easier.  

Secondly, May and Santana have to actually make it back.  

I know, I'm no fun.:)

• Thrylos, Blake, snepp and 3 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#7 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

Not really sold on Littell yet but I think Gonsalves is very close to being ready also. 

In a recent interview, Gonsalves said his curve ball is the only thing holding him back. He is throwing it 20% of the time. He credited Duke and Gibson with helping him work on it in ST.

It's official. We received more for board scapegoat John Ryan Murphy, than we did for board favorites Pinto, Arcia, and Vargas combined.

#8 jun

jun

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

I don't understand why people still think May should be a starter. He hasn't had much success being a starter. I would be happy if he can become a reliable bullpen arm.

• SwainZag, mikelink45, Tomj14 and 1 other like this

#9 jun

jun

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

Romero, Santana, Berrios, Gibson and Odorizzi.

Lynn could be the long reliever when Santana comes back. May could be a bullpen arm. Hughes might be the odd man out since he is not effective anymore.

• mikelink45 likes this

#10 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

In a recent interview, Gonsalves said his curve ball is the only thing holding him back. He is throwing it 20% of the time. He credited Duke and Gibson with helping him work on it in ST.

That is really encouraging.A solid curve will make him that much more dynamic as a starter.

#11 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

Do we go to a 6 man rotation?

Saves innings on Romero and, to a lesser extent, Berrios. Keeps Santana fresh. I don't see any of the 6 being knocked out. Like mentioned above-good problem to have, and injuries happen every year. 

• mikelink45 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#12 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

I don't understand why people still think May should be a starter. He hasn't had much success being a starter. I would be happy if he can become a reliable bullpen arm.

1. He was a better starter in 2015 than he was a reliever in 2016. 

2. Starters are more valuable 

3. He mentioned that his body didn't respond well to pitching nearly every day as a reliever and may have led to his back problems. 

• Danchat, Dozier's Glorious Hair, ToddlerHarmon and 1 other like this

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

The general worry was 1) he was a decent starter in the minors and probably deserves more rope and 2) his back broke down from pitching more often as a reliever. 

Those aren't crazy thoughts. From age 21-24, May was throwing 150+ innings in the minors and he looked like a future workhorse back-end starter. A more durable Scott Baker if everything broke right but someone who might be able to throw 30 stars with a ERA+ in the 100ish range was something you could imagine. He came up in 2014 and was destroyed. He looked horrible in 9 ML starts. The next year, he made 15 starts (80 innings) and in June it really looked like he had turned a corner but for one horrific start. But they moved him to the pen. He was pretty good there and a big part of our near-playoff push.

The next year he was in the pen full time but struggled (as did everyone on the Twins). He struck out a ton of guys but other than that, he wasn't good. He had two long DL trips and was sore several times. Molly ran him into the dirt and he wore down as the season went on. (Another reason Molly should have been fired). 

So last year the Twins said he'd get a shot to start and he promptly needed TJ surgery. So now he's 28 years old, on the 60 day DL and not quite sure what role he'll play going forward.

#14 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

Saves innings on Romero and, to a lesser extent, Berrios. Keeps Santana fresh. I don't see any of the 6 being knocked out. Like mentioned above-good problem to have, and injuries happen every year. 

Remember Lynn has been terrible. IMO, he will be the first to go or be demoted to the BP. 

#15 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

1. He was a better starter in 2015 than he was a reliever in 2016. 

2. Starters are more valuable 

3. He mentioned that his body didn't respond well to pitching nearly every day as a reliever and may have led to his back problems. 

I'm not arguing with any of that, I always preferred May as a starter.But in regards to 2018, May is a complete and total non-factor when it comes to the rotation. He's still not back from TJ and hasn't started a game in almost 3 years. 

• Danchat, Luke Albrecht and cmoss84 like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

The Twins still have an option on May, right?

It makes sense to put him in Rochester and let him get a feel for his breaking stuff. Coming back from TJS is a tough thing to do when you haven’t pitched in a long time and have to face MLB hitters immediately.
  • spanman2, woolywoolhouse, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#17 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,204 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

By the time Erv comes back someone else will probably be dinged up.

The real reason why I wanted to reply is to say it's time to take the training wheels off Romero. I hope he's not on a strict innings limit like he was last year. 160-180 innings between AAA and MLB shouldn't be out of the question.
  • gunnarthor and howieramone2 like this

#18 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

By the time Erv comes back someone else will probably be dinged up.

The real reason why I wanted to reply is to say it's time to take the training wheels off Romero. I hope he's not on a strict innings limit like he was last year. 160-180 innings between AAA and MLB shouldn't be out of the question.

Innings;

2014: 12

2015: 0

2016: 90.1

2017: 125

It would be foolish to "take the training wheels off".He absolutely should have some limit this year, even if it is around 160

• SwainZag and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#19 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,204 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Innings;

2014: 12
2015: 0
2016: 90.1
2017: 125

It would be foolish to "take the training wheels off". He absolutely should have some limit this year, even if it is around 160

Kershaw:

169 between AAA and MLB

Scherzer:

109 between MLB and AAA
170 first full year as starter

Verlander

186 first MLB season

I don't think the jump to 160-180 innings after 125 last year is that crazy of an ask.
  • Thrylos, 70charger, howieramone2 and 2 others like this

#20 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

There should be no such things as a innings limit on a pitcher for a season. It should be a limit on number of pitches thrown
  • Brandon, Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this