Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

I'd like to see more balls in play

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,418 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

http://www.espn.com/...broken-baseball

Count me among those who liked baseball better back in the day when there were more balls in play. More stolen bases, more hit and runs, and yes, even more bunts.

I believe MLB needs to do something to start reducing the amount of K's.  

• gunnarthor, notoriousgod71, woolywoolhouse and 5 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

What can the league do, realistically?
If teams have data showing them that those things you suggest have a lower run expectancy, they aren't going to go back to the way things used to be.

#3 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,418 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

What can the league do, realistically?
If teams have data showing them that those things you suggest have a lower run expectancy, they aren't going to go back to the way things used to be.

I'm not sure.But there should, theoretically, be a way to do it. 

Some ideas I've seen bandied about:

-limit the number of pitchers on the 25 man roster. 

-increase the minimum size of the bat handle diameter.

-lower the mound again.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Build bigger parks? I think this is sorta cyclical. Right now, hitters are trying to hit home runs but that might change in the future. We might get some hitters to change their two strike approach. Maybe a running team changes how teams are constructed. 

But I tend to agree, baseball with strike outs and walks is a bit boring.

• MileHighTwinsFan and Dantes929 like this

#5 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

• Thrylos likes this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#6 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

I'm not sure.But there should, theoretically, be a way to do it. 

Some ideas I've seen bandied about:

-limit the number of pitchers on the 25 man roster. 

-increase the minimum size of the bat handle diameter.

-lower the mound again.

Softer baseball?

The feast or famine status of the game has gotten boring.I personally believe that it's impacted the length of games as well.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#7 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Count me among those who liked baseball better back in the day when there were more balls in play. More stolen bases, more hit and runs, and yes, even more bunts.

I think there are far bigger problems to address then this such as the ridiculous length of MLB games in comparison to AAA games and absolutely atrocious strike zone calling (strike and ball calling should be computer called). 

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,894 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

I think there are far bigger problems to address then this such as the ridiculous length of MLB games in comparison to AAA games and absolutely atrocious strike zone calling (strike and ball calling should be computer called). 

The present shadow of doubt in batters' minds probably has more effect on them, than the uncertainty the pitcher has, as to what will get called a strike. So I assume that automated ball/strike calls will favor the offense. That may cut down on the K's, to Chief's liking, but may also increase walks and homers. Just something to take into account - an increase in run scoring may need to be balanced in some other way. A less-juiced ball would be my solution as well, as it probably results in batters accepting the need to put more balls in play. Optimal launch-angle resulting in mere cans o' corn will concentrate the mind wonderfully. :)

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

I'm not one to fondly view the past through rose-colored glasses but strikeouts are boring. Walks aren't as boring as strikeouts but they're certainly more boring than hits.

Pitching changes are boring. Four hour games that aren't back-and-forth struggles are boring. Station-to-station running is boring.

Baseball is a spectator sport and the most boring aspects of the game continue to gain importance. It's not good.

• Taildragger8791, ToddlerHarmon and jkcarew like this

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,239 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

Mark McGwire and Samy Sosa killed smallball for good and there is nothing one may do to resurrect it from the hey it is burning in.Thankfully.

Edited by Thrylos, 07 May 2018 - 05:21 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

Fewer strikeouts would mean the ball has been put in play sooner in the AB which would mean games would be over sooner.
  • ToddlerHarmon likes this

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,894 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

Fewer strikeouts would mean the ball has been put in play sooner in the AB which would mean games would be over sooner.

A quicker out than a strikeout is one possible outcome. Another is a walk. A ball in play can also fall safely for a hit, in which case you start the count all over again.

Strikeouts and pitch counts both being up may be correlation without being causation - in either direction.

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#13 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

My solution:
1. Lower the mound.
2. Enlarge the strike zone.
3. Use softer baseballs.
Fewer walks. Fewer K's (because there wouldn't be as much of a downward plane on pitches). More balls would be put in play but the increase would be mainly in the form of weaker contact.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 10 May 2018 - 11:41 AM.

• ToddlerHarmon likes this

#14 jkcarew

jkcarew

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

Mark McGwire and Samy Sosa killed smallball for good and there is nothing one may do to resurrect it from the hey it is burning in.Thankfully.

Regrettably.I would like balance and diversity.I agree all small-ball would be boring...but an entire league of players incapable (no matter where in the order they bat, or what the game situation) of hitting the ball the other way, or putting a ball in play, or bunting effectively...also very boring.

• wsnydes and ToddlerHarmon like this

#15 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Change arbitration rules so HRs for batters and K for pitchers don't influence salary as much. 

I'm not saying I support it, but what else can they do at the league level? Otherwise, I'd say this is a coaching issue. 

#16 ToddlerHarmon

ToddlerHarmon

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

My solution:
1. Lower the mound.
2. Enlarge the strike zone.
3. Use softer baseballs.
Fewer walks. Fewer K's (because there wouldn't be as much of a downward plane on pitches). More balls would be put in play but the increase would be mainly in the form of weaker contact.

Yes!!Especially 2.Hitters are not being punished enough for waiting for their mashable pitch.At a certain point, the ability to make contact anywhere in the zone would have to become valuable again.

"Strikeouts are boring.Besides, they're fascist."

It's getting to the point where the same is true for home runs.