Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Mackey's notebook: Throwing Out Baserunners

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Apparently today's post-game turned to the question of throwing out baserunners. I thought Mackey had a pretty good recap at: http://www.1500espn....eyond_him083012

I'm a little puzzled by why Gardenhire focused on Mauer's arm at the start: ""(Mauer) is not having any arm problems at all." although he did go on to say: " he's kind of sitting there catching it flat-footed. ... That leads to him having to stand straight up and throw the ball, rather than driving through it."

When I first read the statistics, my first thought was about the problems that Mauer has had with his knees and legs not his arm. And while Butera and Doumit are also down from their career averages percentage-wise, neither of them is off nearly as much as Mauer.

To me, the combination of the decline in throwing out batters coupled with his somewhat reduced Slugging Percentage and OPS would indicate that his knees/legs will probably never be quite the same. (Although his power numbers are up from last year).

Arm injury just never occurred to me.

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Mauer has had some recurring shoulder issues that have largely been brushed under the rug. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a contributing factor.

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

That teams haven't stolen more is a reflection on his history...especially with the various starting pitchers.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#4 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Been culling through the video of Mauer's throws to second since AP Guy tweeted Gardy's comments this afternoon on Joe being "flat-footed" on his throws. While the "flat-footed" part doesn't seem to stand out in the video, you can definitely see that his footwork is much slower in 2012 than it had been in the past. As Gardy said, it's like he's standing straight up instead of pivoting to get behind the throws. It's fairly obvious and opposing teams must be seeing that as well hence the increase in stolen base attempts. My post tonight/tomorrow AM will cover that topic with some video evidence to back it up.

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I don't get to watch a lot of the games. Are most of his throws tailing toward the first base side of the bag still?

#6 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

I've watched most of the games this year and though Mauer's throws haven't been great, much if it is attributed to other factors as well. I've seen too many at-bats when no one could throw him out, I've also seen more then a few times where something goes wrong at 2B.

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

Anyone paying attention has seen the accuracy and velocity of Mauer's throws to second decline, not just this year, but gradually over the past couple years. Many throws are off the mark, either through rushing the throw, and/or because the throw sails, often high and right.