Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Castro to DL; Bobby Wilson recalled

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

Do what real teams do, find someone that will actually make a difference.

Get on the phone with Miami and cash in some of the minor league talent I keep reading about for J T Realmuto.

Realmuto and Castro, with Garver as a 3rd C, RH DH, RH PHer, and RH hitting 5th OFer.

I've been hoping for that for months.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#62 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

Do what real teams do, find someone that will actually make a difference.

Get on the phone with Miami and cash in some of the minor league talent I keep reading about for J T Realmuto.

Realmuto and Castro, with Garver as a 3rd C, RH DH, RH PHer, and RH hitting 5th OFer.

Realmuto has a career OPS of .758 compared to Garver .736 OPS so far this year. Realmuto is definitely better but I'm not sure how much better. He's going to cost a lot because he's under team control through 2021. He's also going to be available at the deadline so the Marlins will have the incentive to wait and see if a contender has a full-season catching injury

With Castro and Garver, I think the Twins are okay for this year and next.* I'd be more interested in them finding a LH hitting backup catcher from somewhere to make it 6 weeks. No idea if that's doable.

* This injury might turn out to be beneficial if Garver takes off and pushes the catching duties into more of a 50-50 thing than the 70-30 it had been.

#63 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

Wilson already had his hot streak. He got a hit.

I do think you saw the Wilson effect this week when Adrianza got sent in the 9th. 3rd base coach knew that Mauer would get walked and Wilson would be up with bases juiced and one out. I think that played a role in preferring a close play at the plate.

#64 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

Castro will be back in 6 weeks in the same way that Santana was going to be back May 1st, and Sano needed a day or two to rest a hammy.
I don't understand why the Twins continue to give such unrealistically optimistic return dates on these injuries. Castro won't be back in a Twins lineup any sooner than July 21st.
  • bighat likes this

#65 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Was he on base? HA HA! Oh yeah, he got thrown out by a mile. Wonder why he bothered to slide. No big loss..... Bring back Drew Butera or John Ryan Murphy. Better yet, Kurt Suzuki.

This is an odd take

• bighat likes this

#66 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Anybody else think Wilson's swing couldn't break a pane of glass?

• Mike Sixel and jun like this

#67 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Wilson basically has no chance at the plate. Sorry good defensive skills can’t make up for a less than drew butera bat
  • jun likes this

#68 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,142 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

This is an example of why you stick a prospect (with options) in AAA to start the season and sign a backup like Gimenez. Part of me is really happy that Garver made the roster on opening dayand has been getting some AB's to prove if he is a long term roster option but the other part would be less concerned if they could call up a catcher of Garver's level from AAA.

If you think Garver can be a long-term contributor, you can't keep him in the minors forever. The dude is already 27 years old. He deserves to be where he is today.

But it would have been nice to pick up a Gimenez type and stash him in Rochester. Guys like that are available without an MLB commitment.

#69 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

Bobby Wilson is really pathetic at the plate.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#70 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:57 PM

If you think Garver can be a long-term contributor, you can't keep him in the minors forever. The dude is already 27 years old. He deserves to be where he is today.

But it would have been nice to pick up a Gimenez type and stash him in Rochester. Guys like that are available without an MLB commitment.

Garver could have been the first guy up for any injury to a catcher, Mauer, Morrison or Grossman. He would have had his opportunity. 

And don't misinterpret that I am unhappy that Garver started the season in the majors. I am not. The reality is that the Twins were only able to get a Wilson type to stash in Rochester and that lack of depth is an issue now. That is the price of putting guys with options in the majors to start the season and not getting solid veteran backups.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#71 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

Garver could have been the first guy up for any injury to a catcher, Mauer, Morrison or Grossman. He would have had his opportunity.

And don't misinterpret that I am unhappy that Garver started the season in the majors. I am not. The reality is that the Twins were only able to get a Wilson type to stash in Rochester and that lack of depth is an issue now. That is the price of putting guys with options in the majors to start the season and not getting solid veteran backups.

I'd rather have the good players in the majors, and worry about injuries later. If Castro isn't hurt, or not for long, Garver barely is up all year under your plan. I really don't like that at all.
  • Brock Beauchamp and jokin like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#72 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

Teams can with with a defense only third catcher. Wilson is fine and the Twins have the luck of getting 5 RBIs in 5 games. Whether or not they should have been expected, they are in the bank.

The keys to success are going to be Sano, Buxton, Morrison, Lynn, Rodney... not the third catcher.

#73 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,142 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

Would he actually have an opportunity though? This is likely to be the first season Castro plays fewer than 100 games since he entered the league. If Mauer, Morrison, et al get injured, the front office likely turns to someone with more defensive acumen because the plodding hitters are interchangeable.

Go with your best 25. Garver is one of those guys and he earned his place in Minnesota. Deal with injuries if and when they happen.
  • Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this