Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Castro to DL; Bobby Wilson recalled

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

Berardino reporting that Castro is headed to Colorado for a second opinion on his knee.

From a purely speculative point of view, this sounds like it could be a long term injury.
  • h2oface, TheLeviathan and Danchat like this

#42 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

Twins are not bringing in a catcher now, st the deadline, or next season. Castro is the front offices guy, as he was there first signing I think. Garver is more than capable as a backup. The Ramos horse, is in fact, dead.
  • bighat likes this

Career Game Thread Record: 2-1

#43 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

On the other hand, the first signing might indicate the high priority the front office puts on the catcher position.

If age or injury prevents Castro from playing at his prior level of defense, they may be motivated to look for an alternative.

#44 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

Twins are not bringing in a catcher now, st the deadline, or next season. Castro is the front offices guy, as he was there first signing I think. Garver is more than capable as a backup. The Ramos horse, is in fact, dead.

Not sure about that. Should Castro need season ending surgery, he'd be almost 32 when he recovers, and Garver becomes the starter, with Wilson the back up.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a look at catchers, though not necessarily Ramos- payroll is probably pretty much maxed out at this point.

#45 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Not sure about that. Should Castro need season ending surgery, he'd be almost 32 when he recovers, and Garver becomes the starter, with Wilson the back up.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a look at catchers, though not necessarily Ramos- payroll is probably pretty much maxed out at this point.

Payroll isn’t maxed next season. The team has a boatload of money coming off the books.

But I agree it’s unlikely they target Ramos.

#46 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Payroll isn’t maxed next season. The team has a boatload of money coming off the books.

But I agree it’s unlikely they target Ramos.

I meant this year, at the deadline.

#47 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,074 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

I'd rather target Realmuto anyway.(If, in the unlikely case, we were targeting a catching upgrade)

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#48 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

Happy for Garver, who seems to have quieted his critics -- at least for now. 

• Oldgoat_MN, Dozier's Glorious Hair and bighat like this

#49 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

I meant this year, at the deadline.

Ah, yes. Hard to say there. I didn't expect Lynn but if ownership sees a window, I wouldn't rule out some additions, provided they're not outrageously expensive.

#50 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

Ugh Castro out another 4 to 6 weeks with surgery.

#51 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

Ugh Castro out another 4 to 6 weeks with surgery.

Not sure if I like the idea of Wilson being on the roster for another 4 to 6 weeks. Maybe they could scoop someone off the DFA scrap pile to back up Garver?

• USAFChief, jud6312 and bighat like this

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#52 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

This is an example of why you stick a prospect (with options) in AAA to start the season and sign a backup like Gimenez. Part of me is really happy that Garver made the roster on opening dayand has been getting some AB's to prove if he is a long term roster option but the other part would be less concerned if they could call up a catcher of Garver's level from AAA.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#53 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 864 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

This is an example of why you stick a prospect (with options) in AAA to start the season and sign a backup like Gimenez.

Bobby Wilson IS this year's Chris Gimenez.

Wilson's okay, but I'm not sure he's the type of guy you want playing twice a week for the next 2 months. Not sure what the Twins can do. They don't have any other catchers on the 40-man. Here's what's in Rochester, per the interwebz:

Wynston Sawyer

Wilson Astudillo

Jordon Pacheco

I dunno.

• Danchat likes this

#54 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

Bobby Wilson IS this year's Chris Gimenez.

Wilson's okay, but I'm not sure he's the type of guy you want playing twice a week for the next 2 months. Not sure what the Twins can do. They don't have any other catchers on the 40-man. Here's what's in Rochester, per the interwebz:

Wynston Sawyer
Wilson Astudillo
Jordon Pacheco

I dunno.

Correct. Only this time, they had the, maybe, better player in Minnesota, not Rochester.

I'd rather have Castro and Garver, then Garver and Wilson, than Castro and Wilson first....
  • Vanimal46, wsnydes and bighat like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#55 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

Might not be the worst idea to see what the Cubs want for Gimenez. Great clubhouse guy, knows the pitchers, not great with the bat but better than Wilson. I can't think the Cubs would stand in his way of getting some more MLB playing time, you could get him for a song.

#56 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

That said, it's always possible that Wilson gets hot for 2-3 weeks and makes this palatable.

#57 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

Wynston Sawyer

Wilson Astudillo

Jordon Pacheco

I dunno.

Willians Astudillo

Edited by ThejacKmp, 15 May 2018 - 08:11 AM.

• bighat likes this

#58 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,400 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

Do what real teams do, find someone that will actually make a difference.

Get on the phone with Miami and cash in some of the minor league talent I keep reading about for J T Realmuto.

Realmuto and Castro, with Garver as a 3rd C, RH DH, RH PHer, and RH hitting 5th OFer.

• Twins33 and bighat like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#59 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

That said, it's always possible that Wilson gets hot for 2-3 weeks and makes this palatable.

It's also possible that I sprout a vestigial tail.

Neither is overly likely, but given what I've seen from Wilson's swing, my money is on the tail.

• bighat likes this

#60 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,400 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

Wilson already had his hot streak. He got a hit.

• bighat likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.