Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: TOR 7, MIN 4: WHAT IS HAPPENING!?!?!?

john curtiss addison reed eddie rosario kyle gibson joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,682 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

I'm hoping that someone in that locker room has called a team meeting or is about to call a team meeting. 

The last thing they should do is wait for it to correct itself naturally. It will... but it might take a little while. 

I've always assumed that players are human beings. If they are human beings... you got some pretty pissed off people in that locker room and they might be quietly pissed off and that could lead to... I don't give a damn attitudes. 

Look at the anger that spills out on this website... The players are not a collection of stats... they are humans... they have emotions just like we do. 

• Blake, Jerr, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#22 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:32 AM

I'm speechless after this one. This is not a .500 team they are that bad. Wow! Was 2017 really that big of a fluke season for this club? Seems hard to believe. One thing is for certain the pitching has been and still is the achilles heel of this organization and it's been 6+ years since 2011! This is why when you commit to a rebuild you FULLY COMMIT instead of trying to fool the fans with happy talk, dumpster diving and a patchwork of retread free agent starter signings, which is what Terry Ryan pulled for yearsss...Hopefully Romero does well and while they are at it finally start calling up some of the other youngsters such as Gonsalves, Littell, Slegers, etc., and get them badly needed major league experience. We need options.

• mikelink45 likes this

#23 LeatherAntenna

LeatherAntenna

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

Do we need some new sabermetric guys?
  • gunnarthor, nokomismod and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#24 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

If Molitor lets Gibson pitch the 6th, the relievers are all pushed back an inning.

I was surprised he let Gibson finish the 5th, so I knew there was no chance of him coming out for the 6th.

I would have him come out for the 6th, but Molitor knew if anybody gets on base he will pull him so let a Relief Pitcher start the inning.

Basically they don't let a starter, star a new inning if they have over 90 pitchers, and they wonder why the bullpen is terrible.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and birddog like this

#25 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

I was watching. I didn't think he was gassed. They lost, and Molitor/Twins gets lampooned anyway.

Then I guess it was a lose-lose proposition because we simply don't have enough pitching to get through the game. That's kind of where this team is right now.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#26 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

So glad Romero is coming up, would have liked Curtiss to stay and continue to develop - its not like he is blocking some good bullpen arms.Gibson has regularly blown up if left in too much - credit Molitor for observing this..

Okay lets call out Garvin and Guardardo.Bert Blyleven and Morris are consultants, LaTroy is a special assistant, and I do not know who else in the office and minor leagues.If, as one comment states, we are not developing our arms, we have to ask why not and who is to blame?

Gonsalves, Littell need to follow Romero.Lets get the lumps out of the way and really develop a rotation. 

• Jerr likes this

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

Uff-da.

#28 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

Okay lets call out Garvin and Guardardo

With a 9+ era from the bullpen during this skid there has to be something systematically wrong here. 

• Jerr and mikelink45 like this

#29 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

A Little League game is 6 innings. A starting pitcher in Little League is usually expected to finish. So a Major League pitcher making multiple 9 figures with 4 days rest can't go more than 5? Who do the Twins acquire, a bunch of candy back sides? Buxton gets headaches, Sano carries too much weight for his frame and body structure, their best "stuff" pitcher gets tired after having to do his job for 5 innings once a weekl. Speaks for itself.

Anyone could have " seen (the possibility) of this coming. That is why this team was such an unknown going into this season. Now its becoming a known.

• Jerr likes this

#30 chaderic20

chaderic20

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWaukee, IA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

Sorry, I can't figure out how to actually get the gif to display here, so here's just a link to what I believe is the current situation in the FO.

https://media.giphy....iXOqA/giphy.gif

• Jerr likes this

#31 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

... Morrison has been a bust (even worse than Park- wherever he is) ...

Park is back in the KBO and hitting .288/.468/.508 (.977 OPS) with more walks than strikeouts.

I've always assumed that players are human beings. If they are human beings... you got some pretty pissed off people in that locker room and they might be quietly pissed off and that could lead to... I don't give a damn attitudes. 

Reed was looking pretty pissed at himself in the dugout and I thought it was encouraging to hear the reports that Duffey was viably frustrated when he was (justifiably) sent down. But you're right, that same energy can turn into a "screw it" mentality pretty quickly.

If Molitor lets Gibson pitch the 6th, the relievers are all pushed back an inning.

I think it was the right move to take Gibby out, but you need to have a reliever or two who can get you more than three outs. Phil Hughes to the rescue!!! Ugh.

Okay lets call out Garvin and Guardardo.Bert Blyleven and Morris are consultants, LaTroy is a special assistant, and I do not know who else in the office and minor leagues.If, as one comment states, we are not developing our arms, we have to ask why not and who is to blame?

Gonsalves, Littell need to follow Romero.Lets get the lumps out of the way and really develop a rotation. 

At some point, the players gotta play. Yes, the coaches, instructors and consultants have their jobs to do as well, but I wonder really how much those guys can make an impact. 

#32 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

"Good luck tonight Gibson.Don't pitch too well or Molitor will probably yank you after 5."

From a post I made yesterday afternoon. No surprise.

• Jerr likes this

#33 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

I've gotta quit watching, I just can't sleep nights after these games.

he gone!

#34 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

I still think the Twins heat up in May. The Indians haven't looked stellar lately either, so there is still hope, guys. However, if we can't get healthy and start performing like we can, then guys are getting traded. There is no way around it.

In short, here is what we are seeing:

1. Bullpen is being asked to pitch too much and it's taxing them. That is the fault of both the starting rotation and the fact that there hasn't been a long reliever out there until now.

2. Guys that shouldn't be starting are getting too much playing time because of injuries (i.e. Grossman, Adrianza, LaMarre). These are guys that play better when used less. You play them this much, you see why they aren't starters.

3. Underperformances by a number of key players. To name a few: Dozier, Castro, Rosario, Morrison, the whole pitching staff. These guys can't be this bad all year.

There is too much talent on this roster for them to suck completely for 162 games. With this American League, it's not going to be easy to grab a playoff spot. However, there is no gain in trying to tank because there are too many teams that do suck completely. Bottom line, there is no roster move that can fix what is happening. The only solution is for the guys already on the roster to step up like they can.

#35 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

There must be something in the power water in the bullpen. Target Field run-off water is not the key ingredient.

• bluechipper likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#36 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

Dear Mr. Froemming: You ask what is happening.

Well, how about some of the worst baseball the Twins have ever played?

I've heard rumors of the Butch Huskey era of baseball and that it wasn't a very good time to be a Twins fan.

However, with the way the Twins are currently playing, Butch Huskey era baseball may actually become a step up.

#37 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:07 AM

League average innings per start is 5.5. The Twins are at 5.2. League average pitches per start is 90, which is also where the Twins are at.

It's not unreasonable for a starter to not pitch into the sixth, especially if he's thrown 96 pitches as Gibson had last night. Toronto starter Marco Estrada only went five innings because he had thrown 99 pitches. Things worked out for them just fine.

• USAFChief, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#38 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

Our Twins with the same record, but with not all young players;)   

Edited by Jerr, 02 May 2018 - 08:13 AM.

• gocgo likes this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#39 tw1ns

tw1ns

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

Pitch the ball......catch the ball.Where is Tom Kelly when you need him.Make the plays that need to be made.I have not been impressed with the effort of our catchers.Especially in the fielding department.Garver has botched some key plays...notably the roller down the line the other night, pick up the ball, tag the runner.He and Castro miss balls with a guy on third that should be caught.Back to the basics....

• Jerr and Tom Froemming like this

#40 Doubles

Doubles

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

That 10th inning was an embarrassment to the entire organization. Decent legion ball teams know how to defend 1st and third. Jr high teams.

Kendrys Morales wandered off first base, and the Twins were too frightened, or confused to throw the ball.

For Pete sake. That is not major league baseball.

Was pretty much gonna post this exact same sentiment.I don't so much mind losing if my team is competing.Typically happy to find myself in lock step with The Chief on most things, this is not one of those times, obvs. 

Not sure what was more infuriating-watching this meltdown play out, or feeling like it was happening in slow motion and still nobody was able to do something, anything, to keep it from going completely off the rails.  

• USAFChief and Jerr like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john curtiss, addison reed, eddie rosario, kyle gibson, joe mauer