Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: TOR 7, MIN 4: WHAT IS HAPPENING!?!?!?

john curtiss addison reed eddie rosario kyle gibson joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

This is getting hard to believe. The Twins lost another game Tuesday night, and this one was a killer. They jumped out to a 2-0 lead and were even up 4-3 in the eighth, but the bullpen couldn’t hold the lead, the defense was atrocious and the Blue Jays took advantage of miscues in the 10th inning.Snapshot (chart via FanGraphs)
Download attachment: Snapshot51.png Download attachment: WinEx51.png
New game, new thing to worry about. Let’s turn our attention to Addison Reed.

Reed entered the eighth inning of this game with the Twins leading 4-3. He walked the leadoff man, gave up a double and then a sacrifice fly to tie it up. He managed to work out of the inning, sandwiching an intentional walk between two strikeouts.

Reed has now given up four earned runs over his last five innings pitched. His main issue was with location tonight, as he threw just 11 of his 23 pitches for strikes, but there is also an alarming trend with his fastball velocity.

Reed averaged 90.5 mph on his fastball and topped out at 91.6, per Baseball Savant. Here’s a month-by-month breakdown of his fastball velocity since the start of last season via Brooks Baseball:
Download attachment: ReedVelo.jpeg
Uh-oh.

The game remained tied thanks to Fernando Rodney working around some suboptimal defense to pitch a scoreless ninth. John Curtiss, making his 11th career MLB appearance, was tasked with keeping things afloat in the 10th inning. To say things didn’t go well would be an understatement, but to be fair it wasn’t all on Curtiss

The inning opened with Kevin Pillar smashing a double into the gap. He would later steal third without a throw and then score the go-ahead run on a wild pitch. The Blue Jays scored a second run on a hot grounder that Gregorio Petit, who was playing in, failed to field cleanly. Then just for good measure a third run scored on another wild pitch.

Ouch. Three runs and the Blue Jays only had to hit one ball out of the infield.

This game actually got off to a great start, as the Twins took a 2-0 lead in the first inning thanks to Joe Mauer’s first homer of the year and an RBI double by Eddie Rosario.

Kyle Gibson was cruising along until he gave up a couple of runs in the fifth to tie the game. He finished the night with six strikeouts over five innings, giving up those two runs on five hits and a couple walks.

Ryan Pressly gave up a homer to give Toronto its first lead of the night, but it was short-lived. Rosario blasted a go-ahead homer, scoring Eduardo Escobar.

Another positive note was that Petit went 2-for-4 in his Twins debut. And guess what? It’s Fernando Romero day tomorrow! So … everything’s still really, really, really great in Twins Territory. Really great.

It’s still early, right?

Right?

Bullpen Usage
Here’s a quick look at the number of pitches thrown by the bullpen over the past five days:
Download attachment: Bullpen51.png
Next Three Games
Wed vs. TOR, 12:10 pm CT
Thu at CHW, 7:10 pm CT
Fri at CHW, 7:10 pm CT

Last Three Games
TOR 7, MIN 5: Twins Can’t Recover After Another Poor Start by Lynn
CIN 8, MIN 2: Berrios Bombs as Twins Drop Series to Cincy
MIN 3, CIN 1: Losing Streak Snapped as Odorizzi Delivers Quality Start

More From Twins Daily
Twins Minor League Report (5/1): No Hitter In Cedar Rapids Upstages Gonsalves Performance
Can Fernando Romero Spark The Twins?
Sano to DL, Petit Promoted, Enns Designated, Kinley Returned
Royce Lewis is Finding His Stroke
Something Has Clicked with Eduardo Escobar

Click here to view the article
  • glunn, Blake, Jerr and 1 other like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,291 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:23 PM

Speechless.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#3 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:34 PM

Once Pillar stole 2nd, well Curtis started to have that deer in headlights look, and it got worse.  I like his arm, but wow that was a meltdown

#4 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:37 PM

I want to criticize optioning Curtiss back to AAA already... but I don't know, all of the young arms have looked awful, so I'm not sure what can be done. 

With the defense being so awful, I'm not sure I can be confident with Romero's first start. Especially with Grossman somewhere in the outfield.

• Blake, KirbyDome89 and wsnydes like this

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,176 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:37 PM

It's never good when Yakkity Sax is the background music of choice.

• Blake, Jerr, LimestoneBaggy and 5 others like this

Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.-- Robert Louis Stevenson

#6 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,454 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:47 PM

If Molitor lets Gibson pitch the 6th, the relievers are all pushed back an inning.
  • Jerr, gunnarthor and Platoon like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#7 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

Fernando Romero will be the 20th pitcher the Twins use already this season. Cleveland has used 13.

I get the desire to keep fresh arms in the bullpen, but it's difficult to see where they're gaining any kind of an advantage from it at this point. All the guys who've remained on the roster still seem worn out and all the guys shuttling from Rochester/the waiver wire seem to be getting trounced anyway.

• Blake, TheLeviathan, Danchat and 1 other like this

#8 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

If Molitor lets Gibson pitch the 6th, the relievers are all pushed back an inning.

Yes, but it's likely Gibson was out of gas and he probably doesn't get out of that inning without bullpen help. It was (and is) a lose-lose proposition for Molitor.

• USAFChief, Blake, nokomismod and 6 others like this

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,454 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

Yes, but it's likely Gibson was out of gas and he probably doesn't get out of that inning without bullpen help. It was (and is) a lose-lose proposition for Molitor.

Possibly. But I wanted Gibson to go back out. It was the 5-6-7 batters. Molitor has got to let starters go longer.
  • Jerr, gunnarthor and birddog like this

#10 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:12 PM

I want to criticize optioning Curtiss back to AAA already... but I don't know, all of the young arms have looked awful, so I'm not sure what can be done. 

With the defense being so awful, I'm not sure I can be confident with Romero's first start. Especially with Grossman somewhere in the outfield.

It would have been nice to see Curtiss get some work in lower leverage innings before being booted.

• Danchat, Shaitan, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#11 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

If this keeps up, the Twins will soon be in last place and MOY will be MOR.... Manager of the Rear!

• Blake, jun and twinssouth like this

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,843 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:51 PM

That 10th inning was an embarrassment to the entire organization. Decent legion ball teams know how to defend 1st and third. Jr high teams.

Kendrys Morales wandered off first base, and the Twins were too frightened, or confused to throw the ball.

For Pete sake. That is not major league baseball.
  • Blake, Jerr, Riverbrian and 9 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#13 Gagne Fan

Gagne Fan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:29 AM

Going to be in trouble tonight out of the pen
Essentially have 2 1/4 arms available....
Hildy, Rogers and Duke

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 971 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:15 AM

So my girlfriend's brother went to Romania a few months ago. It snowed, and he was pretty excited because it was the first time he's ever seen snow! How about that, eh?Say, anyone ever been on a safari? I think it would be cool to see a rhino up close, in the wild. But then again, I wonder if the other tourists would ruin it. I mean, I went to Playa del Carmen this past winter and absolutely would never go again, just too many touris......what's that? Baseball? What's baseball?

• Tom Froemming likes this

#15 Tommygun921

Tommygun921

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:52 AM

How can any organization be this bad at developing home grown pitching? Berrios is the best since who??? And he's about as inconsistent as they come. Seems like the Cleveland Browns and quarterbacks.
  • Jerr, mikelink45 and twinssouth like this

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:53 AM

Not a good sign at all if Reed is gassed by May 1st.
  • bighat likes this

#17 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:58 AM

Possibly. But I wanted Gibson to go back out. It was the 5-6-7 batters. Molitor has got to let starters go longer.

Gibson was laboring to get through most of his 5 innings, and was already at 96 pitches. His track record is pretty terrible when he’s allowed to go back out after a game like that. Most posters here would lampoon Molitor for letting him go out and inevitably start a circus for the bullpen to clean up.
  • USAFChief, mikelink45 and bighat like this

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,454 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

Gibson was laboring to get through most of his 5 innings, and was already at 96 pitches. His track record is pretty terrible when he’s allowed to go back out after a game like that. Most posters here would lampoon Molitor for letting him go out and inevitably start a circus for the bullpen to clean up.

I was watching. I didn't think he was gassed. They lost, and Molitor/Twins gets lampooned anyway.

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,914 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:18 AM

Molly is a canary in the coalmine. If Molitor starts letting his starters go longer. We will know that he has lost faith in the bullpen. 

At that point... in won't matter. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#20 twinfan

twinfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:25 AM

When things are going bad, there is almost nothing you can do to fix it but just hope it fixes itself. We have had some key injuries, relief pitchers have no command and are walking first batters (you can never do that), Morrison has been a bust (even worse than Park- wherever he is), the defense has been like watching a little league game (this is the most surprising thing) and the starters have been lousy (except for Gibson). 

The good thing is that the division is very weak and even Cleveland is not playing well. However, I don't think we will ever catch them even when we start to win again. Now the questions are a)which Twins team is the real one (the first 13 games or the recent games)? and B) are we already out of the Wild Card contention? 

With the Yankees/Red Sox battle and the Angels/Mariners battle, we may be toast for this year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john curtiss, addison reed, eddie rosario, kyle gibson, joe mauer