Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: CIN 15, MIN 9: It Got Even Worse

phil hughes tyler duffey logan morrison robbie grossman
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,546 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

Let's face it. The Twins don't have a pitcher on their roster right now that can get anybody out on a consistant basis. I've seen enough of Hughes, Duffey, and Rodney and all 3 should go bye, bye. I don't care what they are getting paid, they are costing the team wins and that isn't worth any amount of money. When they go send Castro with them. I don't know about the rest of you but the Falvine experiment is starting to worry me when Castro was their first big addition to the team. The guy just can't hit, PERIOD. There's been a couple guys who he reminds me of..., John Ryan Murphy and Drew Butera. I'll take Kurt Suzuki back please. At least in his worst season with the Twins he hit .240.

Just because you don’t care how much Hughes (or anyone else) makes, you can be sure Jim Pohlad does. I’d say it’s pretty clear by now that the decision to not eat his salary prior to the season came from him, as I predicted in other threads.

#22 adorduan

adorduan

• 766 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

I didn't watch the whole game but the part I did watch got me to agree with you. I really liked Morneau in the booth.Seemed relaxed. Didn't try too hard. It had been Bert, Smalley, Hawkins, Morris and Hunter in that order.Morneau jumped to the top of the list.Hope he gets more chances.

Man, finally seeing Grossman, Morrison and Eddie all get on track only to lose it really bites.The best cure for an 8 game losing streak is a 9 game winnings streak but we gotta get that first one. Hopefully tomorrow and hopefully we get so see Romero or Gonsalves soon.

Ugh, Morneau is a human sleeping pill. Do not want.

• USAFChief likes this

#23 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• 2,318 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

It really looks worse than 2016. I am not sure whether or not they can win a game this season if they play like this

There is a feeling of deja vu.In 2015 they seemed to have turned the corner and people expected that to be built on in 2016.Not only did they not get better in 2016 they dropped off a cliff.It is odd because it is not like there are radical difference in make-up of the team from year to year, but the results were completely different. 

Hopefully they can pull out of this tail spin, because it will a shame if they are completely irrelevant by Memorial Day and 2017 like 2015 won't seem like a cruel tease in retrospect.

Edited by D. Hocking, 28 April 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#24 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 515 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:11 AM

Can someone go over the Garvin Alston qualifications again?

Seemed like a genius move at the time.

As did a lot of Falvey and Levine's decisions.

2016 all over again, this time with more talent.

This is where my mind was going.I know Alston doesn't throw any pitches but there seems to be some strategic misunderstanding here - I think Alston is a 'Fastball' guy - command and control it and everything else falls into place, or something along that.There seems to be progress with Berrios, Pressly and even Gibby.Everyone else either 'doesn't get it' and just thinks that commanding your fastball means throw fastballs right over the dish.

#25 Thebigalguy

Thebigalguy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 70 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

I went off to do something else with the score 8-4. Disturbing to see this morning what happened next. Is the team planning to sandwich the Yankees sweep, which was not surprising, with sweeps by the lowly Rays and Reds?

On the other hand, it's too early to panic. Something in the DNA was discombobulated by the week of snow and travel to Puerto Rico. Demote Rodney. Give up on Hughes. Turn on the merry-go-round between MPLS and Rochester. Have a kindly come-to-Jesus (substitute your god or goddess of choice) moment. This is the chance for Mollie and his coaches, not to mention the kids on the field, to earn their pay (which, let me remind you, is more than $15/hour, the minimum wage in any decent country).

Give Morneau a chance, by the way. He had rocks in his mouth. He'll find a cadence and style with experience.

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,764 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

Agree with comment above...there are no baseball reasons why Phil Hughes has gotten a start for thus team.

Also agree that Morneau--one of my favorite Twins ever--was rather...bland and monotone in the booth.

And while I'm at it...would it be possible for Mauer to drive in a run on occasion? Perhaps not start every AB with runners on base by looking at two strikes?
  • USNMCPO and adorduan like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#27 rv78

rv78

Ft Myers Miracle

• 250 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:30 AM

Just because you don’t care how much Hughes (or anyone else) makes, you can be sure Jim Pohlad does. I’d say it’s pretty clear by now that the decision to not eat his salary prior to the season came from him, as I predicted in other threads.

Well if that is the case I hope Mr Pohlad is going to be happy with another losing season. When a decision is made to keep players that can't perform you are basically telling fans that you don't care. I hope Target Field is a ghost town by Memorial Day. 

#28 rv78

rv78

Ft Myers Miracle

• 250 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

Agree with comment above...there are no baseball reasons why Phil Hughes has gotten a start for thus team.

Also agree that Morneau--one of my favorite Twins ever--was rather...bland and monotone in the booth.

And while I'm at it...would it be possible for Mauer to drive in a run on occasion? Perhaps not start every AB with runners on
base by looking at two strikes?

Mauer has 1 thing on his mind when he goes up to bat. WALK! He's the opposite of Kirby Puckett. Puckett would hit balls for base hits that were a foot off the plate. Mauer won't swing at anything (unless he has 2 strikes on him) that is right down the middle.

#29 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

Hildenberger has been figured out and is completely ineffective. Time to swap for Curtiss.

If cutting bait on Hughes is off the table, give him the Hale role. Put Hale back on the pile where you found him. Give Slegers a shot at #5 until Gonsalves or Romero are deemed ready.

Duffy has been horrible in two appearances, so one more becomes a trend. Give him a shot to break the trend?

Nick Anderson and Jake Reed may be worth a look. Is Bard back?

That's all I got.
  • jun and Doctor Wu like this

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,169 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

Mauer has 1 thing on his mind when he goes up to bat. WALK! He's the opposite of Kirby Puckett. Puckett would hit balls for base hits that were a foot off the plate. Mauer won't swing at anything (unless he has 2 strikes on him) that is right down the middle.

ironically, when he has two strikes Mauer does swing at a lot of bad pitches
  • USAFChief, jun and LeatherAntenna like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#31 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,884 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

It's embarrassing to both Hughes and the Twins that they keep trotting him out there.

It's over fellas, deal with it.
  • USAFChief, Han Joelo, beckmt and 3 others like this

#32 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• 975 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

And while I'm at it...would it be possible for Mauer to drive in a run on occasion? Perhaps not start every AB with runners on base by looking at two strikes?

Things get a whole lot easier when you accept that Mauer is a one trick pony on offense (avoiding outs at all costs). He’s very good at it, and I’d love to get more than that out of a 6’5” 225 lb first basemen. But I’ve accepted that he’s mostly a table setter and facilitator and we simply need to actual run producers behind him to score consistently. You’ll only set yourself up for trouble if you need more than 70 RBI or 8 HR out of him.

#33 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,169 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

There are zero baseball reasons why Hughes remains on the MLB roster. Get rid of him please.

It has been common wisdom the last couple years (yes that's how long we've been having this Hughes discussion) that if the Twins let him go, some team would pick him up and pay the minimum salary and the Twins would be on the hook for the rest.

Can we be sure anymore that a team would even pick him up for league minimum? If not, the Twins would be on the hook for his whole salary, not just whole salary minus minimum. So, might as well keep him? What is the thought process here?
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,764 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

It has been common wisdom the last couple years (yes that's how long we've been having this Hughes discussion) that if the Twins let him go, some team would pick him up and pay the minimum salary and the Twins would be on the hook for the rest.
Can we be sure anymore that a team would even pick him up for league minimum? If not, the Twins would be on the hook for his whole salary, not just whole salary minus minimum. So, might as well keep him? What is the thought process here?

That’s what I don’t understand...what is the thought process?

I hope it’s money. I hate that, but at least I can understand it.

I hope, really really hope, it’s not that someone thinks he is a viable MLB pitcher.
  • twinsnorth49 likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#35 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,175 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

Things get a whole lot easier when you accept that Mauer is a one trick pony on offense (avoiding outs at all costs). He’s very good at it, and I’d love to get more than that out of a 6’5” 225 lb first basemen. But I’ve accepted that he’s mostly a table setter and facilitator and we simply need to actual run producers behind him to score consistently. You’ll only set yourself up for trouble if you need more than 70 RBI or 8 HR out of him.

He needs to every once in a while acknowledge the circumstances and adjust accordingly.If he cannot/will not do that then he deserves criticism just like any other player who can't or won't adjust to the circumstances.

Edited by ewen21, 28 April 2018 - 08:05 AM.

• USAFChief likes this

#36 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

It's times like this that I'm glad I didn't get the extra innings package to watch this team.

#37 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 162 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:09 AM

Molitor has not figured out how to properly use Pressly.He CANNOT be brought in with runners on base because he has over his time with the Twins consistently permitted inherited runners to score.Somehow, between Molitor, Pitching Coach, and Bullpen Coach there is a total lack of understanding of who to use and when to use them.What happened to Castro's catching ability making our pitchers better??

• jun likes this

#38 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

On Hughes, it's absolutely all about the money. Sad to say it, because I like the guy, but he'd have been cut long ago if he wasn't on a long-term deal. The team is hoping he can find himself, and each additional surgery he has gives them a shred of hope that things may turnaround.

But ...

At what point is Hughes being on the roster actually costing them more money than he has left on his contract? Winning generates revenue more than anything else. I know if I was considering attending a Twins game and saw Hughes was the scheduled starter I'd probably look for something else to do. 

Also, I'm not sure I understand this front office's obsession with trying to snag free players. Sure, Tyler Kinley only pitched in low-leverage situations and David Hale bailed out the rest of the bullpen last night. Great. Last year they did the same kind of things with guys like Adam Wilk and Chris Heston. For what?

I'd much rather see them provide some opportunities for guys who have a shot at being long-term contributors. Let them get their feet wet in the majors. Anyone on the 40-man roster already burned an option this year when they were sent down to start the season, so there's really no reason why you can't shuttle them back and forth to/from Rochester. If somebody sticks, great! Transition them into a bigger role.

Obviously, these aren't the reasons why the Twins are on an eight-game skid, but I'm starting to get tired of the cute roster manipulation.

• USAFChief, Oldgoat_MN, spycake and 3 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#39 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 714 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

Which is why I wouldn’t lose sleep over it if the Twins don’t resign him. His value is rather low IMO. What I have noticed from last year to this year is Mauer is only as good as his supporting cast. If most of the line up struggles Mauer is a sub .300 hitter with no power, if guys like Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Dozier are hot Mauer is a .300+ hitter with no power. Mauer for as long as he’s been here should be a leader on the field and work at elevating his play to make up for any short falls, instead he follows his teammates and plays well it seems only when they play well. If the team is slumping so is Mauer. For a clubhouse leader that’s unacceptable.

#40 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,717 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

Is there data on how often Twin pitchers are throwing first pitch fastballs? The Reds were jumping all over those fastballs.

I am not sure Hughes has any useful pitch but he was getting killed on early fastballs. Duffey’s rate of throwing fastballs is way up in his short stint this year at the expense of his curve ball. Maybe he needs to reverse and throw his off speed and breaking stuff first. Neither of these pitchers should be consistently throwing fastballs early in the count.

On the other hand, Hildenberger’s most successful pitch last year was his fastball. Why is his fastball usage way down this year?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phil hughes, tyler duffey, logan morrison, robbie grossman