Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Molitor and the Bullpen

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Frustrated, but laughing all at the same time, about another Yankee Stadium debacle.However, this topic has been gnawing at me since last year, and that is, Molitor's handling of the bullpen.This did not cost us the game today, but it still is a prime example.Our bullpen has been taxed by short starts recently and finally, Kyle Gibson gives the Twins exactly what they needed, a fabulous outing.After six innings, Gibson has struck out ten Yankee batters and given up one hit and sits at 95 pitches.Knowing the dire situation of the taxed bullpen, Molitor summons Addison Reed to start the 7th inning, already his 10th appearance in 20 games and then Zach Duke for his 9th appearance in 20 games. Gibson threw 102 pitches in his opening outing of the year against Baltimore, but Molitor pulls him after 95 pitches?Reminiscent of Molitor pulling Berrios earlier this year after 84 pitches.It's like something in his mind says, no way my starter can keep this up after 6 innings, so the bullpen must be summoned.Which brings me back to last year and Taylor Rogers.In my opinion, Molitor absolutely abused him and Rogers didn't hold up until the end of the year.Hildy is warming up in the 1st inning, the 5th inning, the 7th inning in games.Pressly being summoned in the 4th inning.Pressly has worked in 11 games, Rogers and Hildy in 10.It's probably not fair to Molitor, but you cannot only keep Moya and Kinley out there and only have them work in 4 or 5 games then.For that, I do place part of the blame on the front office, especially given the fact that they let Chargois go for nothing. 

There is no way the bullpen can keep this up.But until Molitor learns to let his starters try to work themselves out of jams and work later into the ballgames, we're going to go through 15-20 relievers this year.  

Finally, I hate Rule 5 pickups.Sure, Terry Ryan plucked Johan in Rule 5, but since then, all of these GM's think they are choosing the next great thing out of Rule 5.Its just an ego trip.  

As I keep telling people, we have only played 1 out of 57 games against the Royals, Tigers and White Sox, so all is not lost, and the turnaround starts tomorrow, with the Reds.

• jun and Dave The Dastardly like this

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

Well, yeah. Molly isn't a great manager. We're going to have to get a few more reliable arms in the pen though. Reed, Pressley .... I'm not sure who else I trust. Rogers against lefties? Maybe. 

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

Sometimes a manager needs to know when something is working and when to NOT touch anything. Today was that day. I was following on the web and hated seeing Gibson come out and then all those substitutions at the end.
  • jun likes this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

I thought he, mostly, handled the pieces he's been given well today. Today is on the front office and their choice of Rodney, imo. Note, I said today.... Not every day
  • USAFChief, Danchat and wsnydes like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

I thought he, mostly, handled the pieces he's been given well today. Today is on the front office and their choice of Rodney, imo. Note, I said today.... Not every day

true, it would have been unrealistic for Gibby to go the distance today, especially if he was at 95 pitches

95 is the new 100, apparently

#6 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

How long had it been since Rodney last pitched? It seems like it's been several days, which may have led to an excessive amount of rust for the already shaky Rodney.Managing a bullpen through a long losing streak is a skill that Molitor may not have.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

true, it would have been unrealistic for Gibby to go the distance today, especially if he was at 95 pitches

They have Reed and Rodney. Gibson had done good job, and the third time thru the order penalty is real. I guess he could have tried for one more inning, but I think he got this right. And I'm no fan....
  • Oxtung, KGB and wsnydes like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#8 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

I don't know, Molitor is in a lose-lose situation in this argument. What if he had left Gibby in and Gibby had given up a walk, single, and home run? Everyone would say Molitor left his starter in 3 batters too long.In fact - I've heard that very criticism quite a bit, that he tends to leave pitchers in a better or two too long. It's not like he was pulled after 60 pitches.

I think there's a lot to criticize Molitor about but I'm not there on this particular issue.

Edited by Sssuperdave, 26 April 2018 - 03:08 PM.

#9 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

I think Duke might be a better option than Rodney right now. At least Duke has better ERA now.

#10 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

I don't know, Molitor is in a lose-lose situation in this argument. What if he had left Gibby in and Gibby had given up a walk, single, and home run? Everyone would say Molitor left his starter in 3 batters too long.In fact - I've heard that very criticism quite a bit, that he tends to leave pitchers in a better or two too long. It's not like he was pulled after 60 pitches.

I think there's a lot to criticize Molitor about but I'm not there on this particular issue.

He could let Gibby pitch in the 7th, if he gives up a walk or a hit then pull him out of the game immediately. Molitor should have done the same thing with Berrios in PR.

Edited by jun, 26 April 2018 - 03:14 PM.

• gunnarthor and Dave The Dastardly like this

#11 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, we complain when he let's someone start an inning that they shouldn't.

And now, in a possible win-win situation, he goes with his supposed best, the vets acquired in the off-season. Like Duffey, Pressly, Rogers and the ink are leftovers from last year and can't always be trusted.

Does he know the bullpen?

Rodney is NOT getting it done.

I might've pulled Duke after he got someone on base. But who do I go to...an overworked Pressly, the newcomer Slegers, Hildenberger who needs to be shipped out, Duffey?

Rodney is NOT getting it done.

Rodney needs to be the backend guy, for now, until he proves otherwise. Let him do his show in non pressure situations (i.e. leads of 3+ runs). 

What is the feeling in the clubhouse, after this hard fought game where every out counted, every run scored was a chore.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#12 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

What would the Nat’s want for Kintzler?

#13 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

btw, are we done giving credit to Castro for his handling of the pitching staff?

It seems to me if some are going to give him credit when they do well, he needs to accept criticism when they do poorly. Roughly 2/3 of the staff have pitched poorly.

#14 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:46 PM

I certainly was not implying that Molitor's handling of the bullpen cost the Twins this game.However, he has to let the starters go farther into games or our bullpen will be spent by mid year.  

It was clearly Molitor's decision to pull Gibson as Gibson stated after the game he would have liked the chance to go back out but you have to trust a "hall of famer's instincts."We needed one more inning out of Gibby, which would have meant one less appearance for Reed or Duke.

I have just never liked how he's handled the bullpen in any of his years as manager.Between that and bunting with the clean up guy, I'm not a big fan...

• jun likes this

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

I would have hoped that this team learned after last year that being a vet doesn't make a pitcher superior.

Though I also would have hoped the young guys would be making a more compelling case to put them in high leverage situations.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#16 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

I've actually liked how he handled the bullpen for the most part this season. I especially like today how he used Reed to face the Yankee's 4, 5, 6, 7 hitters today in the seventh inning allowing Duke to come in to face the potentially 7, 8, 9, 1 hitters. 

I think the bigger problem by far is that everyone except Reed and Pressly have been a problem to start this season.

• IndianaTwin likes this

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,443 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:18 PM

As someone who frequently criticises Molitor for his bullpen moves--or non moves--I had zero problem with Molitor's moves today.

It was time to get Gibson out, and he did. He gave Reed the 7th, Duke the 7th, as mentioned above. Gave his closer a 2 run lead, clean inning.
  • IndianaTwin likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#18 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:49 PM

I believe the narrative has been - Molitor left Gibson in too long!Well if I was Molitor I would look at those six innings - say thanks - and get someone else in too.We cannot have it both ways.If Gibson came back and blew up we would blame Molitor, if Molitor brings him out when he is doing great and the relief pitchers blow it we blame Molitor.I am so glad I am not a baseball manager. 

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,561 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

Nah.The third time around an order is the new 100...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#20 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

I certainly was not implying that Molitor's handling of the bullpen cost the Twins this game.However, he has to let the starters go farther into games or our bullpen will be spent by mid year.

This is exactly right.