Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

I'm done with Fernando Rodney

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

Shocking. A 41 year old doesn't have it anymore to be a closer.
  • Pius Jefferson, jun, adorduan and 5 others like this

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, I liked the Reed signing and I think Rodney could be an arm in a bullpen but he's probably no longer a guy who you want to consider a top 4 guy in your bullpen. Hopefully the FO can figure out a way to straighten out the pen because it sure has the potential to be a dumpster fire this year.

• jun and flyin fin like this

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Holy crap. I posted and I didn't even realize we played already today. ****. Three runs in the ninth? Glad I missed this one.

• bighat likes this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

Holy crap. I posted and I didn't even realize we played already today. ****. Three runs in the ninth? Glad I missed this one.

I'd check out NASA's live webcam today and you'll find Gary Sanchez' walk off HR orbiting our atmosphere.
  • birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 7 others like this

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

I'd check out NASA's live webcam today and you'll find Gary Sanchez' walk off HR orbiting our atmosphere.

Blackout restrictions apply!
  • ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 5 others like this

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

He's entering Kevin Jepsen territory... I would consider making Pressly the closer or at least transition him there with Reed as the closer. 

• jun, bighat and flyin fin like this

#7 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

He's entering Kevin Jepsen territory... I would consider making Pressly the closer or at least transition him there with Reed as the closer. 

Yeeps, the Jepsen fiasco was awful. And yeah, Rodney's there. I was a big defender of his early and even kind of gave him a pass when he blew the game earlier this week. But dang. I think at this point, even Rodney fans have to be honest: he's pitched like garbage.

• gunnarthor, Danchat, jun and 2 others like this

#8 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

Wasn't a fan of signing him to start with and feel even more so now. Time to give him his unconditional release and move Reed or Pressly to the closer role. 

I would add Matt Crapps,, err Capps to the Jepsen comparison.

• jun, Vanimal46 and sftwinsfan like this

#9 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

To those young enough to not remember or get to see the '84 Ron Davis, that was a true dumpster fire...Rodney is quickly catching Davis. 

• jun, jud6312 and bighat like this

#10 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

Rodney has to go. At 41 he’s toast, we can’t keep sending him out in the 9th inning for a save because he’ll more than likely lose the game.
  • jun, jud6312, bighat and 1 other like this

#11 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

Rodney in 8 appearances has 3 blown saves along with losing a tied game in the 9th. When your closer is a disaster in half his appearances it's time to think about making a change.

• jun, tarheeltwinsfan and flyin fin like this

#12 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

He is NOT getting the job done. Yes, he seems to be putting on a show, being a character and everything, but if the Twins want to win...this is not the guy to call upon.

Do we need a Fall Guy for this 8-game losing streak? I nominate.......

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#13 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

My mother told me, "If you can't say anything nice"...

#14 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

This is partly a SSS issue and partly a change in his approach. Both of which seem fixable. Most of his peripherals are in line with career norms. He hasn't lost any velocity. His walk rate is actually down and his K rate is very strong. 

He has a .450 BABIP which will come down quite a bit (career .291) which will help.

The other difference seems to be his pitch selection. He is throwing his 2 seam FB significantly more this season, he's throwing it 20% more than his career norms, at the expense of his curveball mostly, which is down 16% in usage.

This change seems to have lead to an increase in fly balls. His ground ball rate has gone from 52% last year to 42% this year which in turn has lead to an increase in home runs allowed. 

To me you stick with him. Maybe tweak the ratio of his pitches. He will bounce back from this. We're only talking about 7 innings pitched at this point.

• birdwatcher and Borealis like this

#15 Obsvr

Obsvr

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:01 PM

I think he's been great.

#16 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

I think he's been great.

I agree. He has some real potential that needs to be looked at more.

On a serious note, Pressley should be the one who slots into the fireman role that can go multiple innings in one game. Reed should be the closer because he has the experience. 

#17 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

This is partly a SSS issue and partly a change in his approach. Both of which seem fixable. Most of his peripherals are in line with career norms. He hasn't lost any velocity. His walk rate is actually down and his K rate is very strong. 

He has a .450 BABIP which will come down quite a bit (career .291) which will help.

The other difference seems to be his pitch selection. He is throwing his 2 seam FB significantly more this season, he's throwing it 20% more than his career norms, at the expense of his curveball mostly, which is down 16% in usage.

This change seems to have lead to an increase in fly balls. His ground ball rate has gone from 52% last year to 42% this year which in turn has lead to an increase in home runs allowed. 

To me you stick with him. Maybe tweak the ratio of his pitches. He will bounce back from this. We're only talking about 7 innings pitched at this point.

His walk rate is significantly lower than previous seasons, so if we're counting on a dip in BABIP then we should also expect an increase in BB/9. 

Rodney just flat out allows too many batters to reach base. Getting burned is inevitable when that happens. Honestly, Idk if we're seeing a 41 year old declining, or just a "rough patch," because you're right, he's thrown fewer than 7 innings, but good lord I'm already tired of the automatic 1-2 baserunners every time he's handed the ball. 

#18 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

I think he's been great.

I think he's been great for the opponents and he gets paid by the Twins though
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#19 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

It would be wonderful if the hated Yankees can take Rodney. Payback time!

Edited by jun, 26 April 2018 - 04:44 PM.

• flyin fin likes this

#20 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

His walk rate is significantly lower than previous seasons, so if we're counting on a dip in BABIP then we should also expect an increase in BB/9.

Rodney just flat out allows too many batters to reach base. Getting burned is inevitable when that happens. Honestly, Idk if we're seeing a 41 year old declining, or just a "rough patch," because you're right, he's thrown fewer than 7 innings, but good lord I'm already tired of the automatic 1-2 baserunners every time he's handed the ball.

Misuse of the stats. You have some control over bb rate, but not babip. But bb/9 and k/9 are garbage stats that are skewed by the number of batters faced. So the walk rate is more impressive but the k rate less because of the additional chances. Regression is likely to happen on bb rate. But it will unquestionably come back down on babip. I don't know whay to do with Rodney at this point. Today hurt, but Nathan and Glenn fared no better here.