Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: NYY 7, MIN 4: Lance Lynn Is a Dumpster Fire Right Now

lance lynn miguel sano max kepler joe mauer eduardo escobar
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

The Twins got up 2-0 in the top of the first inning thanks to a Miguel Sano homer, but Lance Lynn had a rotten start, giving up six runs on seven hits and three walks over just 3 2/3 innings. The Twins have now lost six straight games and seven of their last eight.Snapshot (chart via FanGraphs)
Download attachment: Snapshot425.png Download attachment: WinEx425.png
Lynn was a starter for the Cardinals for five seasons. In his worst month over that span, August of 2012, he had a 6.66 ERA and 1.91 WHIP. In his very first month as a member of the Twins, Lynn has a 7.71 ERA and 2.04 WHIP.

So we’re not just seeing a bad version of Lynn, we’re seeing the very worst ever version of Lynn. In 33 starts last season, he gave up five or more earned runs three times. He's already done that three times in his first four starts with the Twins.

His command has been atrocious.

Miguel Sano absolutely destroyed a baseball to give Lynn a 2-0 lead to work with in the first inning. He also had a single, a pair of walks and didn’t strike out tonight. Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come.

There were other solid offensive performances, but they were mostly squandered by a few guys who had bad nights. Max Kepler had three hits, Joe Mauer was 2-for-4 with a double and a walk and Eduardo Escobar also reached safely three times.

But Logan Morrison (6), Eddie Rosario (5) and Robbie Grossman (5) combined to leave 16 men on base. Jason Castro was 0-for-4 with three strikeouts. The bad apples spoiled the whole bunch in the Big Apple tonight.

The bullpen started out great, delivering 3 1/3 shutout innings, but Taylor Rogers ran into some trouble on this foggy night in the Bronx. He walked three batters in the ninth, but was lucky to only have given up one run.

Bullpen Usage
Here’s a quick look at the number of pitches thrown by the bullpen over the past five days:
Download attachment: Bullpen425.png
Next Three Games
Thu at NYY, 12:05 pm CT
Fri vs. CIN, 7:10 pm CT
Sat vs. CIN, 1:10 pm CT

Last Three Games
NYY 8, MIN 3: Resistance is Futile
NYY 14, MIN 1: What Did We Expect?
TB 8, MIN 6: Twins Swept on Gomez Walk-off Homer

More From Twins Daily
Twins Minor League Report (4/25): Longball Highlights Early Action
Rortvedt's MWL Encore Is Off To Strong Start
It’s Time to End the Tyler Kinley Experiment

It looks like the front office agrees with that last article listed ...

Click here to view the article
  • glunn and Dave The Dastardly like this

#2 Torbo

Torbo

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

I am so sick of losing to the yankees. I live in syracuse so the only games i get to watch are when they play the yankees and they always lose and it sucks and i hate it. Wish i could watch them win some time.
  • glunn, gunnarthor, Kevin and 9 others like this

#3 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

Where is Redmond these days, I forget. Can we hire him as a coach or advisor who can B.S. with the team and walk through the clubhouse naked? If he's unavailable, I'd volunteer.
  • gunnarthor, Loosey, David HK and 6 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#4 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:44 PM

Is there any way we can send Lynn to AAA or at worst to the bullpen? Lynn has no control of his pitches therefore he has no command either. He needs something other than getting lit up every start to help him improve. If it takes some relief appearances or AAA starts I don’t care, we can’t afford to send out a pitcher with an ERA near 8 every 5th day.

#5 less cowbell more neau

less cowbell more neau

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:50 PM

I don't know what everyone is complaining about, so far this series has had all the excitement of a Twins-yanquis ALDS match up. Will the Twins manage to win a game or merely get swept aside? When will the Twins give up that 2-run lead? I swear, I half expect Joe Nathan to step out onto the mound and give up a walk-off home run to A-rod.

• clutterheart and Dantes929 like this

"Now, more than ever, we need the Jedi." -Bob Wilton

#6 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:23 AM

Ummm, they got closer? They gave up fewer home runs?

It’s all I’ve got. This sucks.
  • Tom Froemming and MN_ExPat like this

#7 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:16 AM

I can't wait! Nothing better then a yankees sweepppppp!Gibson will get pounded into the dust.This team is no better this year then they were last year.

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:35 AM

It’s Time to End the Tyler Kinley Experiment

It looks like the front office agrees with that last article listed ...

Hmmm... the power of persuasion? Maybe the next TD article should be, "It's Time for Free Beer at Target Field."
  • Loosey, USNMCPO, Danchat and 7 others like this

#9 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

6 straight L's.

I was worried about that stat, it got me thinking: I wonder if any teams lost 6 in a row and made the playoffs last year?

Turns out the first two teams I checked (Cubs, Yankees) both had 6 and 7 game losing streaks last year, respectively.

So is it OVER for the Twins?No. Are they in deep doo-doo? Yes.

Logan Morrison's ABs with the bases loaded last night were just cringe-worthy. The guy is killing us night after night. Lynn ain't much better, but he only kills us once every 5 days.

• Danchat, Vanimal46, KirbyDome89 and 2 others like this

#10 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

The Yankees are better than the Twins. It's a good thing today's game is an afternoon game - easier to avoid watching another train wreck on top of a car crash.

#11 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

Last winter, I advocated for NOT signing any new pitchers, promote the best from the minors, let them take their lumps and see what you have. Instead,five new pitchers were signed (I'm not including Kinley) and, with the exception of Reed, they all have been pretty disappointing. Both Rochester and Chattanooga have several pitchers who could replace current Twins' pitchers and probably not do any worse. I my useless opinion, it's time to experiment.
  • Dave The Dastardly likes this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:49 AM

Hmmm... the power of persuasion? Maybe the next TD article should be, "It's Time for Free Beer at Target Field."

That's about the only way to watch their games lately. My goodness.

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

Logan Morrison's ABs with the bases loaded last night were just cringe-worthy. The guy is killing us night after night. Lynn ain't much better, but he only kills us once every 5 days.

We're leaving SSS territory and entering trend territory. He's been dreadful to watch at the plate.
  • Blake, mikelink45 and KirbyDome89 like this

#14 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

Aaron Slegers is coming up to replace Kinley on the roster.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#15 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

Well, hopefully we can salvage one game. At least we play the Reds next, and Kinley is off the roster. However, Hughes does start tomorrow :(

Career Game Thread Record: 2-1

#16 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

Well, hopefully we can salvage one game. At least we play the Reds next, and Kinley is off the roster. However, Hughes does start tomorrow :(

With Slegers coming up, I'm hoping that he starts tomorrow and Hughes goes to the pen.

I'm doubly hopeful since I'll be at tomorrows game.I'd much rather watch Slegers than Hughes.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#17 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

I am more concerned with the Tampa sweep than the Yankees. An earlier post I made was incorrect as I had thought that the Twins did ok in the regular season against NY last year but, in fact, they were swept in a 3 game series and then, of course, lost the October game. They did take 2 of 3 at Target from the Yanks on the way to a winning season. Maybe the Yankees will just show up for today's game and theTwins can steal one. No matter, the 6 home games against Cincy and Toronto next on the schedule have moved into the critical category.

• Danchat likes this

#18 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:43 AM

With Slegers coming up, I'm hoping that he starts tomorrow and Hughes goes to the pen.

I'm doubly hopeful since I'll be at tomorrows game.I'd much rather watch Slegers than Hughes.

I am hoping for this too. However, I don't think it happens, but there is a better chance since I thought the obvious choice to bring someone up out of the pen was Curtis. 

Career Game Thread Record: 2-1

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

With Slegers called up, I could see them optioning Duffey when Buxton is ready to be activated.
  • Danchat likes this

#20 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

6 straight L's.

I was worried about that stat, it got me thinking: I wonder if any teams lost 6 in a row and made the playoffs last year?

Turns out the first two teams I checked (Cubs, Yankees) both had 6 and 7 game losing streaks last year, respectively.

So is it OVER for the Twins?No. Are they in deep doo-doo? Yes.

Dodgers lost 11 straight and 16 of 17 at one point and still won 104 games which is pretty incredible. This is hardly the first time we have been swept by the Yankees and except for the playoffs it has never been fatal to the season.We just need to beat up on somebody as thoroughly as the Yankees beat on us. If it is a division opponent, all the better.Last year this team was very resilient. We'll see what kind of team this one is.A win today would be a good sign.

• Shaitan and MN_ExPat like this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lance lynn, miguel sano, max kepler, joe mauer, eduardo escobar