Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/24): Gonsalves Improves to 3-0

stephen gonsalves nick gordon nick anderson tyler jay
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

We should just be glad that Goncalves and Romero are showing so much promise. Remember, at the end of the season Santana, Gibson and Lynnn will be gone. The Twins will (hopefuylly) make a decision on Hughes. Depending on the quality of any of these guys, they might be able to flip them out for a solid prospect before the trade deadline or thru waivers in August.

Next year: Berrios, Odorizzi, Pineda, May and build from there.

Same with the bullpen. The Twins DID make some decent moves to bolster their pitching for a possible run at the Wild Card (if not the division). But they happily didn't tie into longterm contracts and we do know there are POSSIBLE arms in the system to work into the mix. 

• caninatl04 likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

Rochester .... didn't I read somewhere how they had veteran leadership and were going to be good?

Kind of showing talent matters too...imo.

Gonsalves and Gordon should be there, that would help. But they aren't.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

All it takes is 80 plate appearances to become a non-prospect? Well then, the Angels should have give up on Mike Trout when his first 80 PAs looked bad.

Rooker's path to the majors has been accelerated and he's struggling upon reaching the upper minors. I'm not surprised that he's striking out a lot - he's got plenty of time to adjust and learn how to hit AA pitchers. I have little to no concerns for him in the long run.

(Actually, Trout's first 80 PA in MLB were pretty good -- 120 wRC+, and that was held down by a .222 BABIP. Good ISO and K%, and even a decent BB%.)

K and BB rates stabilize faster than other stats, so I think it's fair to have some concern about Rooker. Yeah, he's been rushed a bit from the draft a year ago to AA now, but he hit well in high-A last year and he's 23 years old, so you would think he'd be able to at least show a solid approach in AA, even if the other results weren't quite there yet. 68 PA, 0 walks, 24 K is a bit of a concern. He certainly has time to right the ship, but the longer this continues, he does seem to be trending toward Adam Brett Walker status...

• birdwatcher and drock2190 like this

#24 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

What does Nick Anderson do that makes him so hard to hit?

Velocity? Movement? Strange arm angle?

It's been fun to watch him dominate every level, hope he can keep it going. 

• ashburyjohn likes this

#25 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

(Actually, Trout's first 80 PA in MLB were pretty good -- 120 wRC+, and that was held down by a .222 BABIP. Good ISO and K%, and even a decent BB%.)

K and BB rates stabilize faster than other stats, so I think it's fair to have some concern about Rooker. Yeah, he's been rushed a bit from the draft a year ago to AA now, but he hit well in high-A last year and he's 23 years old, so you would think he'd be able to at least show a solid approach in AA, even if the other results weren't quite there yet. 68 PA, 0 walks, 24 K is a bit of a concern. He certainly has time to right the ship, but the longer this continues, he does seem to be trending toward Adam Brett Walker status...

Well, I'll check back on the Rooker situation in a few months and see how he's doing. I just find it hard to believe that 80 PAs is all it takes for a hitter to become the next ABW.

I was mainly referring to Trout's subpar 135 PAs in his rookie year, though now looking at the game log, it seemed it was the tail end of those 135 PAs where he didn't hit as well and not as much the first 80, so perhaps that wasn't the best comparison.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#26 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

Rochester .... didn't I read somewhere how they had veteran leadership and were going to be good?

Probably not. I think expectations in general have been tepid. This is not an exciting roster.

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

Probably not. I think expectations in general have been tepid. This is not an exciting roster.

Understatement! These are not the birds to watch....
  • ashburyjohn, birdwatcher and Dman like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,350 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

My recollection is that the starting rotation was thought to be deep and MLB-ready, but that was based on an expectation of Gonsalves and Littell who ended up in AA because the brass thinks they aren't.

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#29 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Well, I'll check back on the Rooker situation in a few months and see how he's doing. I just find it hard to believe that 80 PAs is all it takes for a hitter to become the next ABW.

I was mainly referring to Trout's subpar 135 PAs in his rookie year, though now looking at the game log, it seemed it was the tail end of those 135 PAs where he didn't hit as well and not as much the first 80, so perhaps that wasn't the best comparison.

Definitely. I'm not saying Rooker is ABW, but in my judgement he's a little closer now than he was at the end of last season. (And in fairness, the original poster said he was "rapidly becoming a non prospect" rather than he was already a non prospect. I too think that's a little strong, but I think some concern is valid.)

A player can struggle while still showing progress or a good approach. Trout's rookie season is a great example of that -- only a 87 wRC+ (although that's basically Buxton's production the last two seasons), but Trout showed good power and very reasonable K/BB rates. The biggest negative was a .247 BABIP, which you'd expect to correct itself. All that around his 20th birthday, and in MLB.

Rooker's problem, although it's still a small sample, is that he has really shown nothing this year. Could just be a slump -- he started slow in Ft. Myers last year too -- but that zero walks thing is just weird, and it's hard to explain. Makes me wonder what is going on there, and if this guy is going to have the capacity to make the necessary adjustments to be a plus hitter at higher levels.

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

Worth noting that Nick Anderson was born in Minnesota, graduated high school in Minnesota, went to college in North Dakota, was drafted by the Brewers, cut by the Brewers, then signed by the Twins out of indy ball.

Almost an identical path to Caleb Thielbar (who went to college in the other Dakota :) ).

Anderson is old, but this is just his 3rd season in affiliated ball. I have no idea about the scouting on him, but he might be more interesting than Kinley at this point.

Edited by spycake, 25 April 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

Worth noting that Nick Anderson was born in Minnesota, graduated high school in Minnesota, went to college in North Dakota, was drafted by the Brewers, cut by the Brewers, then signed by the Twins out of indy ball.

Almost an identical path to Caleb Thielbar (who went to college in the other Dakota :) ).

Anderson is old, but this is just his 3rd season in affiliated ball. I have no idea about the scouting on him, but he might be more interesting than Kinley at this point.

Anderson is from Brainerd. He actually went to St. Cloud State for three years, and then went to Mayville State the last year. The Brewers drafted him, but they never offered him a contract (which goes against the CBA, by the way). So, he went to indy ball. 

He's got good stuff. He throws 94-87 with a good slider. 

• spycake likes this

#32 purplesoldier4u

purplesoldier4u

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

Trout's were in MLB, not AA. If you haven't noticed, that's quite a different league.

#33 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

Gonsalves is ready for a shot guys, what are they waiting for?? Why is he still in AA?

What do you recommend?AAA?

#34 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

All it takes is 80 plate appearances to become a non-prospect? Well then, the Angels should have give up on Mike Trout when his first 80 PAs looked bad.

Rooker's path to the majors has been accelerated and he's struggling upon reaching the upper minors. I'm not surprised that he's striking out a lot - he's got plenty of time to adjust and learn how to hit AA pitchers. I have little to no concerns for him in the long run.

What do you consider a good sample size?I'm thinking 1200-1500 MiLB plate appearances?

#35 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Are you suggesting a return to High A for a month?

#36 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

The grass is greener.The easy thing to do is throw $$$ at F.O's, but for a small market like the Twins, we fans have seen little results from spending $$$ on F.O.'s We would have paid Vargas little to put up the same numbers, we could have keep Cargois for nothing. We had decent talent.We needed a RH hitting OFer and Starting Pitching. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stephen gonsalves, nick gordon, nick anderson, tyler jay