Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: NYY 14, MIN 1: What Did We Expect?

ryan lamarre
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Disappointing loss.

Maybe the Twins can keep the Yankees under 10 runs today.

Oh, and it's getting harder for me to dislike the Yankees, because it appears they've got some pretty decent guys on their team.

Though, for some reason, Brett Gardner rubs me the wrong way.

Is one player enough to make it reasonable to loathe a team?

You don't even need one.Back in the day I liked Crede, Thome and Konerko.I even liked Ozzie more than Gardy. Still hated the White Sox.

• Blake, gocgo, Taildragger8791 and 3 others like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#22 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

Most of our players look glazed over when we are in NY.For the life of me, I have no idea why Joe would bunt in the first inning.I have no idea why anyone would do that unless they are Phil Rizzuto, Luis Aparicio, or Maury Wills....Not sure I can recall the last time he bunted for a hit and besides, he has to come into that band box thinking to drive the baseball.He conceded the at bat right there and that started the game on its course.  

I really don't want to hear "if he bunts for a hit it's a good bunt"

That is a poor mindset for Mauer to have, imo

I disagree and I hope they bunt half a dozen times againstSabbathia.  

#23 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

Odorizzi is tossing meatballs. Just watch the highlight videos and see that the ones tagged were right is sweet spots, if not middle zone, and not near the catcher's target. 2 more of his 14 walks in 26 innings scored. Castro's body language on Stanton's homer is priceless. I am more frustrated with his performance than the expected results of the rest of the pen. Kinley? What a waste. Time to cut bait on an experiment that never should have been and that continues to hurt this team. 

Another game with one run? Could have been a pitcher's gem by the Twins and still a loss with that kind of support.

Yeah, the thing is, as far as I could see, their guy didn't throw a gem either. I felt like if Tanaka had been pitching against the Yankees he would have been shelled also.Just one of those nights with a slumping team.Maybe Jose can right the ship.Would be nice to win 3 one run games and take the series while being outscored by 10. 

• Blake, bluechipper and David HK like this

#24 sloopjont

sloopjont

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

Frustrating to watch Tanaka get batter after batter out without having to pitch a strike.However, he was very accurate on the corners when he did pitch a strike.

• bluechipper likes this

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,049 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

Frustrating to watch Tanaka get batter after batter out without having to pitch a strike.However, he was very accurate on the corners when he did pitch a strike.

I felt like Tanaka would have been shelled by many teams last night. 

• Blake, Dantes929, h2oface and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

Disappointing loss.

Oh, and it's getting harder for me to dislike the Yankees, because it appears they've got some pretty decent guys on their team.

Yes. 

You are allowed that.

Especially when it's the Evil Empire.

One evil minion is enough.

• Blake and SgtSchmidt11 like this

#27 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

ob's cure

• Members
  • 7,085 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

Tampa had to walk us off twice if i'm not mistaken.

I think we could still manage a split series with the Yankees. Or at least a sweep with two close games.

Call me optimistic. I think i've been called worse, but i won't expect it.

#28 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

You don't even need one.Back in the day I liked Crede, Thome and Konerko.I even liked Ozzie more than Gardy. Still hated the White Sox.

You are an eminently rational human being.

• Dantes929 likes this

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

I followed this game for 2-3 innings and checked out because I just knew it was going to get ugly.

Woke up this morning and SHOCK, it turned ugly.

#30 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

I had hoped I wouldn't say this in 2018...but after Tampa and after last night in NYC... "When is the draft?"

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

I had hoped I wouldn't say this in 2018...but after Tampa and after last night in NYC... "When is the draft?"

Dunno. This is a team that previously took two of three from the reigning World Series champs and split a series against Cleveland.

It's a rough patch but probably just that... a rough patch for a team that is likely to finish with a win total somewhere in the 80s.

• jkcarew likes this

#32 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

Yeah.Ozzie and A.J. I loved those guys. I hated those guys. I loved playing the Sox and beating them, if for no other reason than to shut The Hawk up.

• Dantes929 likes this

#33 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

It's a rough patch but probably just that... a rough patch for a team that is likely to finish with a win total somewhere in the 80s.

Thanks Brock. I needed that. :)

#34 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

We are in a bit of a funk...normally, a rain out is just what the doctor ordered, but that is the last thing this team needs.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#35 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

Disappointing loss.

If it's the Yankees, Yes.

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,297 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

I expected a competitive game. This team is better than this. They are how many years into this rebuild? I expected better, much better.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#37 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

Yeah.Ozzie and A.J. I loved those guys. I hated those guys. I loved playing the Sox and beating them, if for no other reason than to shut The Hawk up.

And there's the rub... 

Though there's been a few players I wasn't a fan of over the year (plus Ozzie), my primarily dislike of the Sox has been because of Hawk, and he has less than 20 games left. What's a person to do when the new guy is actually quite enjoyable to listen to? 

• IndyTwinsFan likes this

#38 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

I'm growing more concerned with the offense than the pitching at this point. I always expect our pitching to be chaotic with spurts of competency, but this offense was supposed to carry the team yet they're only averaging 4 runs per game. They're in the bottom half or third of the league in most metrics. They have plenty of guys capable of exploding, and if they get in sync it can be pretty awesome. But outside of Mauer, Dozier, and Kepler there isn't anyone giving the consistently productive at-bats needed to build rallies.

• bluechipper likes this

#39 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

I don't mind the Mauer bunt if he were trying to steal a hit, but I sure wish he was capable of just pulling a ball to that wide open right field instead. He's too talented and vital to the lineup to be sacrificing in the first inning against a powerful offense. I also don't see the point in playing small ball in front of Sano and Rosario. Dozier is capable of stealing a base or scoring from first with the way those two swing anyways, but they're also likely to give an unproductive out which means Mauer's sac became a wasted out.

#40 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

They could have DFA'd Kinley at that point instead, though, to keep Chargois.

Well sure, they could have DFA'd any player on the 40 man roster, including Kinley, yes.
I didn't think the post I was responding to meant it in such an abstract, indirect manner such as that though.

If they were going to DFA him before he even threw a pitch for the team though, they wouldn't have selected him in the first place.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre