Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Next MLB stadium to be demolished?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,076 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

There's not many 'large cities' left that could create enough demand and support of a relocating team.

Austin, TX was mentioned as a potential destination but I don't see that happening. Texans are locked in to the Rangers and Astros.

I could see Nashville as they continue to grow and more tech companies make that their home.

New Orleans? They support the Saints, maybe there's enough demand for baseball too.

Otherwise they may have to look international... PR, Montreal, Vancouver, Mexico City.

Baseball could actually make international work, especially to Mexico.Unlike football, you're there for several days.

The issue is that baseball already has a hard enough time wedging all those games into a normal year, I can't imagine having to schedule in the offdays required around travel to places like that.

#22 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

I don't get the anti-Wrigley sentiment in this thread. It's gotten more corporate, and it got lights, but it is still a great slice of history to see a game there. Plus Wrigleyville is fun. 

Better than a stadium surrounded by acres of parking lots. Add mass transit right to the gates. 

I don't give a rat's ass about amenities and long bathroom waits, or food. 

However, I liked Comiskey better.

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,076 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

I don't get the anti-Wrigley sentiment in this thread. It's gotten more corporate, and it got lights, but it is still a great slice of history to see a game there. Plus Wrigleyville is fun. 

Better than a stadium surrounded by acres of parking lots. Add mass transit right to the gates. 

I don't give a rat's ass about amenities and long bathroom waits, or food. 

However, I liked Comiskey better.

I like places that aren't large, crumbling toilets with many obstructions to watching the game.

I get the history, it was cool the first time.By the 3rd or 4th time the mystery was gone and reality was not so pretty.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

If I want history, I'll go to a museum.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#25 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Oh it's definitely Oakland and Tampa. 

MLB knows the Tampa Bay market is dead and they're just waiting for another city to step up with a new ballpark agreement so they can move them (cough...Montreal).

As for Oakland, I think they'll eventually get a new one.I would love it if they tore down Mt. Davis in the meantime once the Raiders are gone.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#26 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:55 PM

I agree that Montreal is the next place for a team. MLB treated the city terribly during the demise of the Expos. And don't forget the Expos came into existence 8 years before the Blue Jays. Montreal was considered a better baseball town than Tronno back then. In fact Montreal was Jackie Robinson's AAA team in 1946.