Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Rays 4/22 @ 12:10 PM CT

whine line hawt taeks dating game
  • Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,291 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

A )Moya optioned for Hughes
B )Buxton starts rehab assignment

Edited by Craig Arko, 22 April 2018 - 09:50 AM.

• Carole Keller, twinssouth and Vanimal46 like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#22 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,282 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

Ill be cheering for him because I want the team to win. If he does great, I’ll be happy, but not because I think it will be a sign of things to come but because we need it right now. If he doesn’t do great, I’ll probably sigh because I won’t be surprised and will just hope the Twins start addressing these issues. And then sigh again because, well, not sure they will.

But I’ll wait for the outcome of the game before drawing any morose conclusions about Phil or the team right now.
  • Riverbrian, Vanimal46 and Dave The Dastardly like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,679 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

I’m sure Brian will have another word for Grossman playing at all and not LaMarre

No I'm good.

I've been on the LaMarre train trying to make a broader point. He played yesterday and that's good... I'd like to see him get some starts against the Yankees if Paul would be so kind.  

For clarification... I just think that LaMarre should play more than he has while he seems to be able to find some green grass while others can't... but I don't think LaMarre should play every day. I think there is an abundance of candidates who are not tearing the cover off the ball that can yield a little playing time to LaMarre while LaMarre is playing better than they are.:)

I'm OK with Morrison back in the lineup

I'm OK with Sano taking a seat. 

I'm OK with Grossman trying to keep a job. 

I'm OK... It's Sunday and baseball is on the telly. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#24 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

Gardy offered him the shot. Hughes turned it down, saying that it wasn't right to manufacture that # of innings - he should have done it earlier in the season in any number of starts. One of the classiest things I've seen in baseball for a while. No one would have objected to him pitching that inning but he took a moral stance.

Another reason I think your disgust for Hughes is a bit much. I get hating watching him pitch because it's been rough of late but as a person, he seems the consummate professional.

I am not judging him as a person.I am judging him as a BASEBALL PLAYER and the way he has navigated his way through this term with the Minnesota Twins.This might entail things that go beyond numbers.His actions, affectations and comments effect my opinion.My "disgust" for Hughes extends only to the things he has done related to baseball.That he may very well be a great husband, father, Christian, etc....doesn't figure into it.

I do not care that he may have misused the term "playing with house money".There are a number of small things I have seen that have left me scratching my head.The Bachelor viewing was another thing that I was not too fond of--and while that might seem harsh--it isn't the kind of team building thing I see as being productive.Maybe they could have gone fishing, went bowling, done something involving some more human interaction, competitive spirit and a bit more "manly" if they were trying to indoctrinate Park into their little circle of trust.

Not for anything, but Hughes says a lot of things in interviews that make me roll my eyes.Might as well write his epitaph on his days with the Twins as follows: "Here lies Phil Hughes.He never tried to do too much"

#25 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

I think you misunderstood him? The asked him if it was hard to do his job in a season where everything was going wrong and he said it was playing with house money. To me that's him saying that it can only get better from here? It's a bit clunky but I don't think I'd hate a guy over an offhanded comment in an in-game interview that doesn't mean what you think it does.

I've never heard anything other than Hughes being a great teammate who has busted his ass trying to get back to the team. 

I don't like what he said in an interview.Why does it bother you that I have an opinion about it?

#26 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

Excited isn't the right word... It feels like this has been forced upon us since March.

Yeah, I get that. It's always uncomfortable when it feels like the salary of the player is influencing who gets the role. But I'm not sure that's the case.

First of all, I don't want them to bring up Jorge, Gonsalves, Romero etc. for Super 2 reasons. Plus I think all of those guys could use a half-season in the minors to polish their game. 

So it comes down to whether this should be Mejia (Sledgers too I guess but he's behind Mejia for most people). Mejia is a fine pitcher but it's not like he's profiling to be anything but a #5 starter. A good Twins team in the next few years is not going to use Mejia as anything more than the #6 starter filling in due to injury. So it's not really hurting his development to give Hughes a few starts.

And I like the idea of rewarding a veteran for working hard. I think that has a good impact on a clubhouse, guys are really going to be excited for Hughes today, they know how long it's been for him. The Twins should definitely have a two start leash on Hughes and be quick to move on to Mejia if Hughes looks lost but I think it's not a terrible decision to give Hughes this opportunity.

• Jerr and Vanimal46 like this

#27 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

It's also flabbergasting that Grossman appears so high in the batting order every game.

I assumed he was up there as the Designated Walker if this Rays pitcher has had control issues throughout his career, but he's basically walked no one (1.4 BB/9) in the minors.

Max Kepler batting 7th in this lineup is ridiculous.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#28 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

I'm calling 6 innings and 2 runs or less for Hughes.

• ThejacKmp and Nine of twelve like this

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, I get that. It's always uncomfortable when it feels like the salary of the player is influencing who gets the role. But I'm not sure that's the case.

First of all, I don't want them to bring up Jorge, Gonsalves, Romero etc. for Super 2 reasons. Plus I think all of those guys could use a half-season in the minors to polish their game.

So it comes down to whether this should be Mejia (Sledgers too I guess but he's behind Mejia for most people). Mejia is a fine pitcher but it's not like he's profiling to be anything but a #5 starter. A good Twins team in the next few years is not going to use Mejia as anything more than the #6 starter filling in due to injury. So it's not really hurting his development to give Hughes a few starts.

And I like the idea of rewarding a veteran for working hard. I think that has a good impact on a clubhouse, guys are really going to be excited for Hughes today, they know how long it's been for him. The Twins should definitely have a two start leash on Hughes and be quick to move on to Mejia if Hughes looks lost but I think it's not a terrible decision to give Hughes this opportunity.

I hope you're right. The team could use a spark, maybe Hughes is the guy they rally behind today. I also hope it's a 2 start leash, but I'm not convinced that's the case.

As far as the other prospects and worrying about Super 2, I don't think it matters that much. Pitchers have a limited amount of bullets in their arms. And the guys you mentioned are 23 - Jorge is 24. They have a better chance of helping now and the near future than Hughes.

#30 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

I am not judging him as a person.I am judging him as a BASEBALL PLAYER and the way he has navigated his way through this term with the Minnesota Twins.This might entail things that go beyond numbers.His actions, affectations and comments effect my opinion.My "disgust" for Hughes extends only to the things he has done related to baseball.That he may very well be a great husband, father, Christian, etc....doesn't figure into it.

I do not care that he may have misused the term "playing with house money".There are a number of small things I have seen that have left me scratching my head.The Bachelor viewing was another thing that I was not too fond of--and while that might seem harsh--it isn't the kind of team building thing I see as being productive.Maybe they could have gone fishing, went bowling, done something involving some more human interaction, competitive spirit and a bit more "manly" if they were trying to indoctrinate Park into their little circle of trust.

Not for anything, but Hughes says a lot of things in interviews that make me roll my eyes.Might as well write his epitaph on his days with the Twins as follows: "Here lies Phil Hughes.He never tried to do too much"

You're blaming Phil Hughes because Twins players like to get together and watch The Bachelor? Because you think it would be better if they went fishing? This is by far the weirdest thing I've seen on a TD board. And that's saying something!

As someone who watches The Bachelor and gambles on it (I think the show is insipid but a good way to gather with friends and consume beer) I can 100% say that it involves at least as much interaction as bowling. Not sure about fishing, I guess I'm not manly enough to have done that before. 

Also, are you arguing that Phil Hughes has feminized the Twins with his un-manly bonding activities? You asked why it bothered me that you had an opinion. It didn't before but it certainly does now. Your focus on manly vs. unmanly bonding is kind of off-putting. It's not 1920 anymore, men can watch "The Bachelor" and still be men.

• Riverbrian and bluechipper like this

#31 BoofBonser

BoofBonser

(not really Boof Bonser)

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

If we don't win a bullpen game against the sure-to-be worst team in the AL East, we are bad

#32 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

I don't like what he said in an interview.Why does it bother you that I have an opinion about it?

Not bothered you have an opinion about the interview. But if you post that opinion on a message board, you should expect other people to have opinions as well. Those opinions may not jive with your opinion. There's always the hope that some reasonable discussion might shed some light on the issue and make your opinion better. If you listen and interact that is.

I think the Hughes quote is a bit strange and open for interpretation. You interpret it as him saying he's made his money so it doesn't matter. I interpret it as him saying that the past is the past and things can't get worse. We can both be right and wrong. But it seems a flimsy reason to attack a guy on a message board.

#33 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

If we don't win a bullpen game against the sure-to-be worst team in the AL East, we are bad

Not a bullpen game, this guy is their 4th starter. Threw 89 pitches last time.

And you are overestimating the Orioles. They are eminently capable of crapping the bed, selling off pieces and sinking to last place.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#34 BoofBonser

BoofBonser

(not really Boof Bonser)

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

Not a bullpen game, this guy is their 4th starter. Threw 89 pitches last time.

And you are overestimating the Orioles. They are eminently capable of crapping the bed, selling off pieces and sinking to last place.

Either way, contending teams don't get swept to rebuilding teams

#35 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

I hope you're right. The team could use a spark, maybe Hughes is the guy they rally behind today. I also hope it's a 2 start leash, but I'm not convinced that's the case.

As far as the other prospects and worrying about Super 2, I don't think it matters that much. Pitchers have a limited amount of bullets in their arms. And the guys you mentioned are 23 - Jorge is 24. They have a better chance of helping now and the near future than Hughes.

Yeah Super 2 is harder for pitchers. Much more likely to need to send them down, especially if you're a competitive team. Though I'm very happy the Twins played around with Berrios' clock and have him for an extra year.

I guess more so I'd say that I don't think any of those guys are quite ready yet. Romero has 2 starts at AAA, Gonsalves 5 and Jorge 3. If one of them had 10-12 good starts at AAA I'd say screw it and bring them up. But I don't see the point in starting their clocks when they'll just be back down again in a month and they may get beaten up in the process. Hughes and Mejia are a fine enough bridge to Santana. I hope those other three are called on later in summer if needed though.

P.S. Jorge hasn't pitched yet this year. Did I miss something with him?

#36 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,679 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

I don't know anything about Phil Hughes as a person or a teammate. I just don't like watching a broken player attempt to pitch for my favorite team. And he's been broken for the last 3 years.

Yeah

I got the same gut feeling that you have. 

But... I still to prefer to be concerned after instead of preemptively concerned. 

However... Vanimal... I know you are a busy guy trying to find that bride and you don't have that kind of time.:)

• Carole Keller, Platoon and Vanimal46 like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#37 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

I mean, they do all the time. This is baseball and even the best teams win only 60% of the time. I imagine if you look at playoff teams, its not uncommon to get swept by a bad team every once in awhile.

Not saying we should try to get swept but contending teams absolutely get swept by bad teams (the Rays are not rebuilding BTW, as you can tell by the Twins facing Chris Archer in Game 1 rather than starting him).

• Platoon and Nine of twelve like this

#38 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

2 things:

1. Archer and Snell are very good pitchers

2. The mighty Indians got swept by the A's and then followed that up by losing 2 of 3 to the Giants last year, in July.

• Carole Keller and ThejacKmp like this

#39 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

I'm calling 6 innings and 2 runs or less for Hughes.

I'll see your 6 and 2 and go with 4 and 6. But I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

• Riverbrian, bluechipper and Nine of twelve like this

#40 BoofBonser

BoofBonser

(not really Boof Bonser)

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

I mean, they do all the time. This is baseball and even the best teams win only 60% of the time. I imagine if you look at playoff teams, its not uncommon to get swept by a bad team every once in awhile.

Not saying we should try to get swept but contending teams absolutely get swept by bad teams (the Rays are not rebuilding BTW, as you can tell by the Twins facing Chris Archer in Game 1 rather than starting him).

I didn't mean to portray that they NEVER do, it's just rare
and I get what you're saying, but Archer will be gone soon

With the way the Red Sox are playing and the Angels are playing, I have a feeling the two wild card spots are going to require at least 90 wins
Cleveland's rotation is going to will them into winning the division, so the Twins are going to have to play really good baseball to make it this year... have to win the series you're supposed to win

Edited by BoofBonser, 22 April 2018 - 10:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whine line, hawt taeks, dating game