Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Roster Decision

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

The Twins have 13 pitchers and 9 relievers with Busenitz replacing Buxton on the roster. It doesn’t seem that the roster construction is best meeting their needs.

The Twins now need a fifth starter. They will call up Hughes to be the 5th starter.

It would really help to have a reliever that could go 3+ innings. They can get by with 7 relievers if someone could go long. Duffey is the best pitcher for this job unless Mejia is ready to start and Hughes goes into this role.

It would really help to have a right handed bench bat. They have Garver but Molitor won’t use him even to pinch hit for Castro last night. Give Molitor a third catcher and go with 12 pitchers. If they call up Astudillo, he will have options and be able to shuttle back and forth.

Would calling up Hughes, Duffey and Astudillo for Kinley, Moya and Hildenberger give them more flexibility on the roster?

If these moves were to be made, I would make only the Hughes move this weekend. He might have a short start and they can throw two of the relievers that are being removed so they have a fresh pen for New York.

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

It might be time for a third catcher so we can give Garver (RHB) more at bats, though Molitor does not seem interested in sitting Castro or replacing him in late innings, even in high leverage situations. I'm not too worried about the lineup (or even Castro making outs) but something seems less than optimal here.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#3 Rhino and Compass

Rhino and Compass

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

If Kinley has made it this far, I just don't see the Twins sending him back to the Marlins so they can call up one of those three guys, two weeks into the season. He'll be on the roster until the Twins get another 20-30 games under their belt, I would bet

I [heart] to fart

#4 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

I would bring Hughes and Duffey up for Hildenberger and Kinley. There, done, problem solved. Buxton can take Duffey's spot when he's ready. I don't think we need a third catcher...

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#5 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

I am not sure we need a third catcher either. We did need someone to bat for Castro late in the game yesterday. If Molitor is more willing to do that with a third catcher, it might be more valuable to have a third catcher than a 13th pitcher.

#6 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

A contending team can't keep a rule 5 guy the whole season. What is gained by dragging it out. If Kinley is on this team after tonight Falvine should be ashamed. 

#7 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:36 PM

Angels are cutting Luke Bard. If no one else claims him,the Twins can have him back for $50,000. They can also see if the Marlins will take Kinley back and get $50,000 in return. They have a fireballing 27-year-old in the minors who isn't on the 40-man, then, plus a newly opened roster spot for...what...who knows.

Yes, switch out Hildenberger, too, for someone. We need a relief pitcher who can go two innings.

Wait, we have Taylor Rogers.

No to a third catcher. Molitor doesn't seem to fear the Gardy rule of having Escobar catch if both are used in a game and the second one up is injured.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#8 launchingthrees

launchingthrees

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:42 PM

A contending team can't keep a rule 5 guy the whole season. What is gained by dragging it out. If Kinley is on this team after tonight Falvine should be ashamed. 

I'd rather see John Curtiss get some innings but I don't know that giving Kinley a longer leash than 3 innings is something to be ashamed of necessarily.