Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Machado

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

I would seriously give up Sano for Machado even up, today.Offer Manny an 8-year deal for around $250mil with opt-out clauses any time after three years.Let him play SS if that's his preference.  

I'm rapidly tiring of Sano's inability to solve the out and away problems he is suffering from at the plate.He's capable of punching the ball to the opposite field harder than most LH Sluggers can pull the ball that way, but refuses to make any adjustments.  

Obviously this move will never happen and probably shouldn't happen.But it's time for Miggy to stop being a threat, and become an actual weapon.

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

I would seriously give up Sano for Machado even up, today. Offer Manny an 8-year deal for around $250mil with opt-out clauses any time after three years. Let him play SS if that's his preference.

I'm rapidly tiring of Sano's inability to solve the out and away problems he is suffering from at the plate. He's capable of punching the ball to the opposite field harder than most LH Sluggers can pull the ball that way, but refuses to make any adjustments.

Obviously this move will never happen and probably shouldn't happen. But it's time for Miggy to stop being a threat, and become an actual weapon.

No chance. What if he doesn't sign? You give you Sano for less than a year of Machado? No chance
  • gunnarthor and TheLeviathan like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

That's one of those trades neither side thinks is a good idea.

#24 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:39 AM

No chance. What if he doesn't sign? You give you Sano for less than a year of Machado? No chance

He wouldn't sign, and there would be no draft pick compensation since he was traded mid-season.Call me crazy or stupid though, but I think he could be a real possibility to sign in the off-season.Having him during the balance of 2018 would only enhance those chances.Mainly though, I'm becoming more and more dubious of Sano's willingness or ability to achieve his potential.

• nicksaviking likes this

#25 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,937 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

He wouldn't sign, and there would be no draft pick compensation since he was traded mid-season.Call me crazy or stupid though, but I think he could be a real possibility to sign in the off-season.Having him during the balance of 2018 would only enhance those chances.Mainly though, I'm becoming more and more dubious of Sano's willingness or ability to achieve his potential.

As much as he's my favorite non-Twin player, and as much as I would love to have him on our team, I don't see the Twins ever outbidding anyone for his services. I've referred to signing Machado as my impossible dream. And we could use him. But it's one of those dreams I'll keep having even though I know it will never be.

• Mike Sixel and gunnarthor like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#26 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

Realistically, the Twins are probably one of the playoff contenders who could most use Machado. Would anyone here be ok with giving up Lewis and, say, Romero + Wade + Thorpe for him? I'm not sure if Baltimore would take that offer and I'm pretty sure I don't want us to make that offer.

I would do that trade if we were giving time to negotiate and he signed. I would offer 8 for 250.

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

The Twins have zero chance of outbidding for Machado, Harper or Kershaw.
  • gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

#28 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

As much as he's my favorite non-Twin player, and as much as I would love to have him on our team, I don't see the Twins ever outbidding anyone for his services. I've referred to signing Machado as my impossible dream. And we could use him. But it's one of those dreams I'll keep having even though I know it will never be.

You're probably right about him signing elsewhere, but I'm not sure where that would be.To me, the Mets & Phillies seem the most likely in terms of need and budget.Chicago, LA & The Yankees will be going all in on Harper.None has a particular need to spend big bucks on a RH SS/3B.Maybe Washington, if they lose Harper.I've heard the White Sox could make a strong run at him, but would hope we could at least compete with anything they could offer.Remember, we shed a ton of payroll after this season.

• nicksaviking likes this

#29 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,937 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

You're probably right about him signing elsewhere, but I'm not sure where that would be. To me, the Mets & Phillies seem the most likely in terms of need and budget. Chicago, LA & The Yankees will be going all in on Harper. None has a particular need to spend big bucks on a RH SS/3B. Maybe Washington, if they lose Harper. I've heard the White Sox could make a strong run at him, but would hope we could at least compete with anything they could offer. Remember, we shed a ton of payroll after this season.

Please don’t make me Hope foolishly and have my heart broken ...
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

You're probably right about him signing elsewhere, but I'm not sure where that would be.To me, the Mets & Phillies seem the most likely in terms of need and budget.Chicago, LA & The Yankees will be going all in on Harper.None has a particular need to spend big bucks on a RH SS/3B.Maybe Washington, if they lose Harper.I've heard the White Sox could make a strong run at him, but would hope we could at least compete with anything they could offer.  Remember, we shed a ton of payroll after this season.

Right but LA and NY shed payroll last season, almost certainly for the specific purpose of chasing Harper and Machado. He's probably going to easily clear Stanton's 300M+ contract. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

I'm guessing Phillies or white Sox, with Yankees right behind them.

#32 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,937 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

Right but LA and NY shed payroll last season, almost certainly for the specific purpose of chasing Harper and Machado. He's probably going to easily clear Stanton's 300M+ contract. 

Can the Yankees carry Stanton AND more than one of those three of Kershaw, Harper and Machado?

#33 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

The Yankees added Stanton's deal and couldn't find any takers for Ellsbury.They'll go with Andujar & Torres @ 2B & 3B precisely because they'll be cheap for a while.All of their money will be used to tie up Judge, Gregorious & Sanchez, along with attracting the LH Harper and starting pitching.They have no need or desire for another costly RH bat.

I'd be really surprised if this winter's FA freeze-out is a 1-year trend.Manny is clearly very desirable, but to me his windfall will be just a rung below Harper & Kershaw simply because the biggest money clubs have his spot covered.I don't see anyone getting $300mil.$35mil/year maybe, but not for more than 6-years.The risk has proven to be way to big, more often than not. 

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Fangraphs has an article on trading him....

#35 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

I think Kershaw remains a Dodger and Harper remains a Nat. Machado will be the only one up for grabs by the top $ bidders. If I am Philly, I might think about trading Crawford in a package right now for Machado to start courting him. 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.