Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Machado

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Baltimore is BAD. How long before they trade Manny and try to get as much in return as possible? Do they wait until the deadline? Any predictions?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

Baltimore is BAD. How long before they trade Manny and try to get as much in return as possible? Do they wait until the deadline? Any predictions?

Their owner won't let them trade him, imo, or he'd have been traded already....This is also the owner that doesn't believe in international signings for some reason...

I guess it's possible he'll see the writing on the wall this year, but I have my doubts. Too bad for their fans, they could have gotten a nice start on building an actual minor league system. 

• nicksaviking likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

I think Mike's right. This offseason they were apparently making insane asks on other teams and a market never materialized. I think they'll look into trading him at the deadline but that owner probably won't let them move him unless they get a star back right away.

Honestly, the way teams are hoarding prospects and probably how few teams at the deadline will need him (as opposed to could use him, which is everyone) will probably create a muted market and he ends up staying. I don't think he'll get a Sale-like return.

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

I'd love him in MN, for example.....but does he move the needle enough to give up 2-3 legit prospects? Even one?

Remember, you only get him for 80% of the season, even if you get him now. If you get him in July, it's less than half a season.....

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

Their owner won't let them trade him, imo, or he'd have been traded already....This is also the owner that doesn't believe in international signings for some reason...

Word in the street is that the owner, 88 year old, Peter Angelos, has stepped back a bit since this off-season and his sons, Louis and John are actually running the team since then.Expect changes.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

I think that they will trade him as soon as they receive an offer that will offset the loss of ticket revenue with him gone.It is a cost-benefit equation.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

I expect no later than August 31st for a decision on whether or not he will be traded this season

• Thrylos, Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#8 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:35 PM

Realistically, the Twins are probably one of the playoff contenders who could most use Machado. Would anyone here be ok with giving up Lewis and, say, Romero + Wade + Thorpe for him? I'm not sure if Baltimore would take that offer and I'm pretty sure I don't want us to make that offer.

#9 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

Gleybar Torres and Montgomery the left handed starter who was decent last year.Aaron Judge said he'd look good in pinstripes

• cmoss84 likes this

#10 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

Pretty early...I said that the Angels were a train wreck in ST and now they're 13-5.Ohtani looks great and Pujols has found the fountain of youth....so, what do I know?Although, I still think Ohtani doesn't like inside fastballs and I still think Pujols will fade as the year goes...but, what do I know?

Baltimore is off to a lousy 5-14 start and play in a tough division.Machado is only 25 years old, makes 16 mill plus incentives and should hit free agency next year.Unless they plan on paying him a bunch for 5-6 years, they should trade him. 

So, who is in win now mode and has the prospects to get the deal done...and needs a SS or a 3B?Odds are, if you are in the hunt, you have both, but the Twins would look good with him at SS.No disrespect to EE, but MM would be interesting.

Edited by gocgo, 19 April 2018 - 03:44 PM.

• cmoss84 likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

Since he is a given to walk after this year I'd avoid it.If the Twins are going to spend prospect capital I hope they do it on someone with some team control.

It's why I preferred Gerrit Cole as my top trade target this offseason.If I were to name names right now, I'd be on the horn about Archer (his performance might lead to a lower price tag) or JT Realmuto.

• tarheeltwinsfan and Vanimal46 like this

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

Since he is a given to walk after this year I'd avoid it. If the Twins are going to spend prospect capital I hope they do it on someone with some team control.

It's why I preferred Gerrit Cole as my top trade target this offseason. If I were to name names right now, I'd be on the horn about Archer (his performance might lead to a lower price tag) or JT Realmuto.

JT remains my top trade they right now. And I get that catchers get hurt.
  • gunnarthor, Twins33, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:01 PM

Since he is a given to walk after this year I'd avoid it.If the Twins are going to spend prospect capital I hope they do it on someone with some team control.

It's why I preferred Gerrit Cole as my top trade target this offseason.If I were to name names right now, I'd be on the horn about Archer (his performance might lead to a lower price tag) or JT Realmuto.

Yeah, Realmuto would be a nice addition, even if I think some of his stats are inflated because of the NL.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#14 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

Realistically, the Twins are probably one of the playoff contenders who could most use Machado. Would anyone here be ok with giving up Lewis and, say, Romero + Wade + Thorpe for him? I'm not sure if Baltimore would take that offer and I'm pretty sure I don't want us to make that offer.

I think you are right in what it would take to get him. I wouldn't trade Lewis..but would trade basically everyone else.

That would be a fun lineup. yup. 

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, Realmuto would be a nice addition, even if I think some of his stats are inflated because of the NL.

Why would a hitter's stats be inflated because of the NL?

#16 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

If Baltimore were smart, they would take that trade in a heartbeat. There's no way I would want the Twins to come anywhere close to making that deal either. 

I wouldn't even like giving up Romero in a 1 for 1 trade for a half season of Machado.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#17 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:58 AM

I like the Realmuto idea as well. 

Rodney might not last much longer. Reed seems to be our "Andrew Miller" guy. Would anyone trade Romero or someone similar for Betances to be our closer?

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

Rodney might not last much longer. Reed seems to be our "Andrew Miller" guy. Would anyone trade Romero or someone similar for Betances to be our closer?

The Yankees have high hopes this year. They aren't going into sell mode anytime soon.

#19 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Why trade Romero? Let him take over for Rodney.

#20 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

Why trade Romero? Let him take over for Rodney.

Maybe after a half year of starts at Rochester before coming up in the bullpen. I want Romero to be a starter next year, and he needs to build up some innings first to do that.

• Ben Noble and tarheeltwinsfan like this