Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Cleveland v Twins, 4/18 @ 6:10 pm CT

• Please log in to reply
947 replies to this topic

#1 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,494 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

I have a confession to make. It’s a rather serious confession and one that is not easy to say… I grew up in Cleveland. Now before you disparage me, please understand that this was not my choice. My parents up and moved from Owatonna, MN to Cleveland and forced me into a childhood surrounded by Indians fans. Cleveland baseball fans might be the worst, I might add, and are not deserving of a professional baseball team as the definition of fair-weather fans shows a picture of an Indians fan. This is not to be confused with a Browns fan, as those are the definition of loyalty.

Things to think about:

1) Songs – Cleveland has a few songs of note. Minnesota does not (unless you count this song which most would soon forget). Most of us know the song Cleveland Rocks, even though it doesn’t, but my favorite Cleveland song might be this one, which serves as a permanent reminder of my next thought:

2) Rivers – The theme behind ‘Burn On Big River’ is a historical one. It is about the Cuyahoga River, which burned out of control… multiple times. Apparently, the 1952 river fire wasn’t enough to cement Cleveland in the world record book. It was deemed necessary to set it on fire again in 1969. This led to several environmental acts. It also played a large part in the creation of the EPA.

3) Movies – One cannot think of Cleveland without thinking of some movies, especially on a baseball site given that very few people would deny Cleveland’s role in one of the best baseball movies ever made. Strangely enough, Cleveland and Minnesota are very well represented in baseball movies (more so than most teams), with the Indians being featured in Major League and Major League II. The Twins were featured in Major League III and Little Big League, the latter of which is the reason so many on Twins Daily are convinced they can do a better job managing a team than most baseball executives. After all, it is part of Minnesota DNA to want to own and operate a professional baseball team. Strangely enough, Major League was not filmed in Cleveland. It was filmed in Milwaukee, which apparently better approximated Cleveland than Cleveland itself. Movies are a bit weird in that way, as Cleveland was the location of one of the most famous movies of all time featuring this guy:

christmas story.jpg

Set in Northern Indiana near Chicago, a Christmas Story was filmed in Cleveland. The exact reason is unknown to this date, with theories ranging from Cleveland looking more Chicagoee than Chicago or the director taking a wrong turn and figuring it out five hours later. Regardless, we will always remember Cleveland for Red Rider BB guns, the soft glow of electric sex, and the phrase “You’ll shoot your eye out.”

4) That leads us to History – Today is a was an interesting day in history. 1906 saw the San Francisco quake.It was later determined to be caused by a wrestling match by giants. Paul Revere and William Dawes rode out to warn Sam Adams that the British were coming to take his secret beer recipes and to put him and John Hancock in jail. In sporting news, Mark Martin won a NASCAR race at age 50.

5) Puerto Rico – I suppose I should pay some respect to Puerto Rico, given that the game is technically there and not in Cleveland. I’ve only been to Puerto Rico once, and that consisted of an overnight stay in San Juan before getting on a cruise ship. What is interesting about it is the massive fort overlooking the Caribbean Sea. If your interested in that type of thing, it’s well worth the visit. Also of note, given it’s status as a US protectorate, duty taxes are much less restrictive, as US citizens are allowed to bring back 6 liters of alcohol duty free, and since they aren’t a state, they don’t pay taxes on it like we do. So, if you’re traveling to see the game, stock up on expensive alcohol. 

Lineups:

Twins Lineup
Jose Berrios ®
1. Brian Dozier ® 2B
2. Joe Mauer (L) 1B
3. Miguel Sano ® 3B
4. Eddie Rosario (L) LF
5. Logan Morrison (L) DH
6. Eduardo Escobar (S) SS
7. Max Kepler (L) CF
8. Robbie Grossman (S) RF
9. Jason Castro (L) C

Indians Lineup: Who cares, and that's about it.

Whether you liked this thread or hated it, I’d like to propose a game to keep things interesting. Simply put, respond to posters with famous quotes from baseball movies that fit the context of the original quote. Winners will receive likes from a few world famous TD moderators and the grand prize winner will receive a lot of likes. Go Twins.

• USAFChief, Blake, Mike Sixel and 11 others like this

#2 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,291 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

Since I hate following rules...

• diehardtwinsfan, Riverbrian and Nine of twelve like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#3 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,095 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

"Strikeouts are fascist."

• USAFChief, Mike Frasier Law, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,402 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

There is no power on the island of Puerto Rico right now... Here are a few tweets, but the first one is from the mayor of San Juan.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#5 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,275 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

"Strikeouts are fascist."

There's no crying in baseball!

• USAFChief, Blake, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,160 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

There is no power on the island of Puerto Rico right now... Here are a few tweets, but the first one is from the mayor of San Juan.

I wish the people in our federal government could feel shame over what they aren't doing to help Puerto Rico. This is a disgrace. 

• Seth Stohs, Mike Sixel, Puckett34 and 15 others like this

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

I have a confession to make. It’s a rather serious confession and one that is not easy to say… I grew up in Cleveland.

For the record, Mrs Ash was born in Garfield Heights. Her family wised up soon afterward and moved back to Chicago.

Me, I never grew up.

• USAFChief, Blake and Riverbrian like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#8 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

For the record, Mrs Ash was born in Garfield Heights. Her family wised up soon afterward and moved back to Chicago.

Me, I never grew up.

One of my college roommates was from Garfield Heights.He stayed in Minnesota after graduation and usually tried to find a job on campus during the summer.He never really seemed like he wanted to return.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief and Riverbrian like this

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

One of my college roommates was from Garfield Heights.He stayed in Minnesota after graduation and usually tried to find a job on campus during the summer.He never really seemed like he wanted to return.

They have a hard time filling elective office there since the population is composed entirely of transients.

• Riverbrian likes this

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

Me, I never grew up.

I wasn't too far from there. Cleveland Heights in elementary/middle school, and Eastlake in HS.

• USAFChief and Riverbrian like this

#11 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

I've come to the conclusion that some higher power does not want the Minnesota Twins to play baseball on consecutive days.   No matter the climate.

Edited by Puckett34, 18 April 2018 - 10:42 AM.

• USAFChief, Riverbrian and PDX Twin like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#12 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Lots of the rural areas, have had nothing done to restore power. Yet some how the power here, will be fine, even after a whole island power failure........puts me in a very melancholy mood for this game....

All the money, that has been sent there before and little was done, comes a hurricane, and my how, the bright lights, can some how shine at the stadium...

I know off topic, but highlights my waning love, of all professional sports, of which Baseball has always been my favorite.

Go Twins, get a win tonight.

Edited by Jerr, 18 April 2018 - 10:50 AM.

• Han Joelo and Mike Sixel like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#13 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

"If you build it, he will come..."

Maybe that only works in Iowa not PR.

Edited by twinssporto, 18 April 2018 - 11:19 AM.

• Riverbrian likes this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#14 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,275 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Me, I never grew up.

Yeah, that's something that really didn't need clarifying it's so obvious.

• ashburyjohn, Riverbrian and Platoon like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#15 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,914 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

They have a hard time filling elective office there since the population is composed entirely of transients.

tenor.gif?itemid=4645757

• ashburyjohn, Blake, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,914 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

Mod note:Let's try to keep politically slanted posts to a minimum in game threads.

Thanks.

• Carole Keller, Blake, Platoon and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#17 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Mod note:Let's try to keep politically slanted posts to a minimum in game threads.

Thanks.

posts-fallacious-politically-biased-meme

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#18 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, that's something that really didn't need clarifying it's so obvious.

And yet you'll accept Diehard's statement that he grew up in Cleveland at face value. :) Though, I guess, being in Cleveland could grow you up in a hurry. Never mind.

• Riverbrian likes this

#19 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Thanks.

Understood - no more Garfield Heights discussion.

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, USAFChief and 5 others like this

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

And yet you'll accept Diehard's statement that he grew up in Cleveland at face value. :) Though, I guess, being in Cleveland could grow you up in a hurry. Never mind.

I'm wise beyond my years... and I have Cleveland to thank for that? 

This might be a paradox.

• Riverbrian likes this