Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: A Look Back To 2001: What If The Twins Drafted Mark Prior?

joe mauer delmon young mark prior ron gardenhire
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,745 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

FWIW, I don't think the Twins actually carried a third catcher all that much. I remember looking at it, and it was primarily at the beginning of 2005 and 2009, when Mauer was coming off injury. (And when September rosters expanded, of course.)

The Twins of that era just rarely spent anything on external upgrades. They had room in the rotation and went with Ramon Ortiz, Sidney Ponson, and Livan Hernandez. They had room at DH and went with Rondell White (twice!). They didn't even make modest additions on the level of Pavano, Cabrera, Crede, Rauch, etc. until TR stepped aside and they got close to Target Field opening.

Keep in mind, Mauer was the most obvious lifetime Twin ever, and they didn't even manage to sign him to any kind of long-term contract until after he won a batting title, and didn't manage to buy more than 1 FA year until after he won a MVP. That's major frugality/conservatism, right there.

I could see the argument that they valued having DHs who could contribute at other positions, but that leads to Shannon Stewart, Rondell White, and later Jason Kubel. Or going back further, Matt LeCroy, and dumping Ortiz with Mientkiewicz at 1B and Morneau in the wings. I don't think having Mauer at catcher had much to do with that preference.

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

Suggesting that Prior would have won the team a World Series is a bit of a stretch.

Just as Mauer couldn't pitch his team out of the ALDS, Prior wouldn't have slugged his team out of the ALDS. Those playoff failures were a team effort. The Twins had the best pitcher in baseball and still couldn't get past the first round, for crying out loud.

#23 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

I wrote this several years ago but just posted this off-season:

http://twinsdaily.co...stead-of-mauer/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, delmon young, mark prior, ron gardenhire