Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Twins players who should be looked at for long term deals

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TwinsWolvesLynxBlog

TwinsWolvesLynxBlog

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

I wrote a blog about this if you would to check it out, http://twinsdaily.co...-Long-Term-Deal

I proposed five players who should get a look are Jared Burton, Scott Diamond, Brian Duensing, Trevor Plouffe, and Ben Revere. I don't think they should get one, but the internal talks should at least being going on about these players. A couple of them the Twins still have under control for awhile and could wait on, but it wouldnt hurt to lock them up either.

#2 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

I've also thought the Twins should offer Burton a 2 yr contract (3rd yr option) for something like 2/6M. You don't want to invest a lot of money in a RP'er with arm problems but this buys out 1-2 years of FA and allows for some stability in the bullpen.

I completely disagree with offering Diamond a contract. he's 26 and he has 5 more seasons before he becomes a FA. Let the Blackburn contract be a warning and go year to year in arb with a relatively low upside pitcher.

Plouffe needs to show more before you start guaranteeing 5+ yrs of money for the same reasons as Diamond. Similar for revere.

duensing is 29 with 3 more arb years. go year to year since 3 yrs is about as long as I want to guarantee money to a RP'er. And you don't really gain a lot by buying out yrs early.

#3 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,367 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Burton for 2 years and an option, otherwise no thanks on the others. No reason to rush any of them. Another year like this from Revere and I would think about him for next offseason, but Plouffe, Diamond and Duensing can all wait at least two more years.
Papers...business papers.

#4 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

You're absolutely right about Diamond. We are in no hurry to lock him up with a Blackburn-esque contract. He's under plenty of team control; just leave it at that.

As for Plouffe, he's shown that he deserves a chance at third base. Not only are his power numbers great when healthy, but it's not like we have much else in the pipeline. He's got another year of serfdom before he's arbitration eligible I think. Let's see if he can stay healthy in 2013 before we offer much of an investment.

#5 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,095 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

I am a believer in Revere so I would lock him up with a Span type contract before he becomes arb-eligible, whenever that is. His value is contained by his speed and that's not likely to decline for another 4-5 years min.