Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/14): Wade, Gordon Star In Lookouts Win

lamonte wade nick gordon ryan mason phil hughes aaron slegers
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

The three Twins affiliates who played Saturday all won close ballgames. LaMonte Wade and Nick Gordon delivered in the clutch for the Lookouts. Aaron Slegers, Adalberto Mejia and Phil Hughes were all in action. Ryan Mason was with a new team, but still doing big things out of the bullpen.TRANSACTIONS
Ryan LaMarre was optioned to Rochester (but you'll be happy to know that he just keeps hitting).
Brady Anderson was sent back to Fort Myers from Rochester.

RED WINGS REPORT
Rochester 4, Gwinnett 2
Box Score

W: Aaron Slegers (6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K)
SV: Matt Magill (1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K)
HR: Brock Stassi (1)
Multi-hit games:
Ryan Lamarre (2-for-3, BB, RBI)
Gregorio Petit (2-for-4, 3B, 2 R)

It took the Red Wings’ offense some time to get rolling, so it was good Aaron Slegers brought his A game. He pitched six shutout innings in a game that was tied at 0-0 through five innings.

Rochester built a 4-0 lead, but Adalberto Mejia ran into some trouble in his relief appearance. He pitched clean innings in the seventh and eighth frames, but things got interesting in the ninth. Mejia issued a leadoff walk, the next batter reached on an error which was followed with an RBI single.

Mejia was charged with one earned run on a hit, two walks and a hit batter over his two innings, but he also struck out four batters.

CHATTANOOGA CHATTER
Chattanooga 3, Pensacola 2
Box Score

W: Todd Van Steensel (2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K)
SV: Omar Bencomo (2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K)
SP: Lewis Thorpe (4 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K)
HR: None
Multi-hit games:
LaMonte Wade (2-for-4, 2 RBI)
Nick Gordon (2-for-4, RBI, SB)

The Lookouts entered the fifth inning trailing 2-0 but rallied to take the lead. T.J White led off the frame with a single and Brent Rooker followed suit. Brian Navarreto advanced them both on a sac bunt, then Ryan Walker lived up to his name and drew a base on balls to load ‘em up.

Tanner English went down swinging, bringing LaMonte Wade up with the bases juiced and two outs. He delivered a two-run, game-tying single and Nick Gordon capped the inning by driving in the go-ahead run on a single of his own.

Lewis Thorpe gave up two runs over four innings, one of them unearned due to his own throwing error. The bullpen shut out the Blue Wahoos from there, with Todd Van Steensel (two innings) Anthony McIver (one inning) and Omar Bencomo (two innings) protecting the one-run lead.

MIRACLE MATTERS
Fort Myers 5, Tampa 4
Box Score

W: Phil Hughes (5 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K)
SV: Ryan Mason (2 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K)
HR: None
Multi-hit games:
Aaron Whitefield (2-for-4, 2B, R, SB)
Jimmy Kerrigan (2-for-4, 2B, 2 R)

Phil Hughes pitched five shutout innings and 44 of his 61 pitches were for strikes (72.1 percent). Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press passed along on Twitter that this lines Hughes up to return April 24 at Yankee Stadium.

Similar to the Rochester game, the Miracle also jumped out to a 4-0 lead. Colton Davis, the first man out of the bullpen ran into some trouble, but Ryan Mason righted the ship.

Mason, making his first appearance since being called up from Cedar Rapids, entered the game with the Miracle clinging to a one-run lead. There were two men on base and two outs in the seventh inning. Mason struck out the next batter swinging to end the threat. It was Mason’s game from there, as he closed things out to earn his third save already in this young season (he had two with the Kernels).

KERNELS NUGGETS
Cedar Rapids vs. Clinton
Postponed (rain)

STARS OF THE DAY
Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day: Ryan Mason
Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Day: LaMonte Wade

TOP PROSPECT SUMMARY
Here’s a look at how the Twins Daily Top 20 Prospects performed:

#3 Nick Gordon: 2-for-4, RBI, SB
#7 Brent Rooker: 1-for-4, R, K
#12 Lewis Thorpe: 4 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
#13 Lewin Diaz: 0-for-4, K
#14 LaMonte Wade: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, K
#17 Travis Blankenhorn: 0-for-3, BB, RBI

SUNDAY’S PROBABLE STARTERS
Rochester at Gwinnett (12:05 pm CT), Fernando Romero
Chattanooga at Pensacola (1:05 pm CT), Kohl Stewart
Fort Myers vs. Tampa (3:00 pm CT), Clark Beeker
Cedar Rapids vs. Clinton (2:05 pm CT), Blayne Enlow

Please feel free to ask any questions and discuss the games.

Click here to view the article
  • glunn and nicksaviking like this

#2 launchingthrees

launchingthrees

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:44 AM

Gordon is a really great piece. He projects to be an above average hitting middle inf. Reviews of his defense are mixed but he has the physical tools to be above average at both SS/2nd.I'm really excited to see what happens with him.

• Steve Lein, birdwatcher, DJSim22 and 2 others like this

#3 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:50 AM

Love this format, Tom, with the pitching lines, homers, and the multi-hit games. Combined with the top 20 prospect lines, makes these easy to peruse in a useful way. Thank you!
  • Yoke, glunn, DJSim22 and 7 others like this

#4 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:38 AM

Wade and Gordon are  Mauer-like.  I dig the long ball as much as anybody, except maybe Chick.  But it is fun to watch a game changing single as well.

No walks today for Thorpe.  Working the process, hopefully?

Good for LaMarre.  I read yesterday the fellow top prospect Ronald Acuna, was also sent to AAA undeservedly, and has responded by hitting .143 to start the year.

• caninatl04 and rdehring like this

#5 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Gordon is a really great piece. He projects to be an above average hitting middle inf. Reviews of his defense are mixed but he has the physical tools to be above average at both SS/2nd.I'm really excited to see what happens with him.

Orlando Hudson hit ceiling with less defense.Trade him while he's hot.

#6 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

I see that Tyler Jay is on the DL, again.Any word on what it is and how long he is expected to be out?Twins can't get a break with this guy.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,960 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

I guess you wanna spread the wealth, but I was pretty surprised to see my Adopt-A-Prospect guy, Aaron Slegers, not get the nod for Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day, it going instead to a reliever with a couple innings of work. I know it's exciting to come in and pitch out of a jam, but there's something to be said for not even pitching into one in the first place. :) Slegers had a grand total of 1 LOB if I counted correctly. Ho hum, six shutout innings.

• glunn, laloesch, dbminn and 2 others like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#8 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

Love this format, Tom, with the pitching lines, homers, and the multi-hit games. Combined with the top 20 prospect lines, makes these easy to peruse in a useful way. Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback. This is what I call the Saturday Speed Round edition of the minors reports. Hopefully it still has all the stuff you'd expect from the regular format, but it shaves a little bit of time off writing it. Saturday's can be tough, especially once the short season leagues start.

I see that Tyler Jay is on the DL, again.Any word on what it is and how long he is expected to be out?Twins can't get a break with this guy.

A left groin strain. At least it's not an arm injury.

• glunn and MN_ExPat like this

#9 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

FYI...through 4 innings, KKKKKohl Stewart has 5 Ks...maybe someone lit a fire under him?
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,884 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

FYI...through 4 innings, KKKKKohl Stewart has 5 Ks...maybe someone lit a fire under him?

Maybe whomever told Kyle Gibson to stop banking his career on the sinker finally got around to convincing Stewart to do likewise?

I'd be nice to know if his approach has changed from last year.

#11 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

Find me a minor leaguer who doesn't have mixed/bad reviews of their defense. Fundamentals are important, but most players truly master it from getting experience at the highest level. From Dozier toMorneau to Koskie to Gaetti to a million others, infield defense seems like it usually gets better once a player has been in the bigs for a couple of years.

#12 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Whiner

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

Really like these new reports. I do have a suggestion for the top twenty. Add cumulative stats for the year so you can see what they did for the day and be reminded of where they sit overall.

#13 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

Really like these new reports. I do have a suggestion for the top twenty. Add cumulative stats for the year so you can see what they did for the day and be reminded of where they sit overall.

We could put in links to their MiLB.com profiles, would that be helpful? 

#14 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

I added brief notes in my AAP forum for him: http://twinsdaily.co...tyler-jay-2018/

A left groin strain. At least it's not an arm injury.

As Tom says, it's a groin injury, so the good news is it's not an arm or resurfacing of a prior injury.

• ashburyjohn likes this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#15 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:07 PM

"Brian Navarreto advanced them both on a sac bunt,"

Could he be brought up to the majors and act as a personal hitting instructor for Morrison?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamonte wade, nick gordon, ryan mason, phil hughes, aaron slegers