Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

5th Starter

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

Was it Mejia and not Hughes in town to start today? He was scheduled for Rochester who went with a bullpen game today instead.

Edited by jorgenswest, 13 April 2018 - 10:20 PM.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,209 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

Hughes 'wins' the opportunity for $13 million reasons.
  • Sconnie, adorduan and jud6312 like this

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

Who are they adding for Puerto Rico series! Talk about making, perhaps, a roster snafu. Bringing someone to Minnesota "in case" and not being able to recall Ryan LaMarre for 10 days.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#4 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

Hughes 'wins' the opportunity for $13 million reasons.

I think it was Mejia up yesterday. It would be great if Hughes has his velocity around 92 to win the opportunity. It doesn’t seem like the money mattered yesterday.

#5 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:27 PM

For that Yankees start, at least we know Hughes will attack the strike zone. I think Mejia would be at about 100 pitches through 3 innings with that disciplined lineup.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#6 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

I read somewhere that Mejia was on his way to the cities but was sent back because of the weather.... can’t find it anywhere now to give a link....

#7 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

Who are they adding for Puerto Rico series! Talk about making, perhaps, a roster snafu. Bringing someone to Minnesota "in case" and not being able to recall Ryan LaMarre for 10 days.

They can bring up LaMarre as the 26th man for the Puerto Rico series. Cave and Granite are the only other position players on the 40 man.

• Thrylos likes this

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

I think it was Mejia up yesterday. It would be great if Hughes has his velocity around 92 to win the opportunity. It doesn’t seem like the money mattered yesterday.

If they had Mejia start Friday, they could option him back down afterward. Had they activated Hughes, there would have been no way to get him off the roster afterward. They would have been stuck carrying 5 starters whether they wanted to or not.

Edited by spycake, 15 April 2018 - 10:37 AM.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#9 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:36 AM

If they had Mejia start Friday, they could option him back down afterward. Had they activated Hughes, there would have been no way to get him off the roster afterward. They would have been stuck carrying 5 starters whether they wanted to or not.

I am glad that they weren’t influenced by Hughes’ contract in the decision. I also hope that Hughes pitches well and makes a contribution to the team this year.
  • Mike Frasier Law likes this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,209 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

I am glad that they weren’t influenced by Hughes’ contract in the decision. I also hope that Hughes pitches well and makes a contribution to the team this year.

How weren't they influenced by Hughes' contract and 'DL' situation? It was locked in since March he was going to get the first opportunity as the #5 starter.

EDIT: Unless he was seriously injured in ST, which he was not.

Edited by Vanimal46, 15 April 2018 - 08:53 PM.

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

How weren't they influenced by Hughes' contract and 'DL' situation? It was locked in since March he was going to get the first opportunity as the #5 starter.
EDIT: Unless he was seriously injured in ST, which he was not.

It seems like Mejia was going to get the shot on Friday until the game was postponed.

#12 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

For that Yankees start, at least we know Hughes will attack the strike zone. I think Mejia would be at about 100 pitches through 3 innings with that disciplined lineup.

Do we honestly think Flyball Phil is going to make it 3 innings in that little league stadium?

#13 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

Do we honestly think Flyball Phil is going to make it 3 innings in that little league stadium?

I'd rather see attacking the zone and letting your defense work than 5 walks through 3 innings, but yeah, it could get ugly.

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:24 AM

I'd rather see attacking the zone and letting your defense work than 5 walks through 3 innings, but yeah, it could get ugly.

Mejia had 1 BB and 5 K's in his only career start vs. the Yankees.
5.1 IP, 1 R.
  • bluechipper likes this

#15 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:57 AM

Well that was a great line for Hughes..... against A ballers. Just his age, and all of just 61 pitches. Must be stretched out and ready for the show now.......

But it was way more encouraging than the last outing.

Edited by h2oface, 17 April 2018 - 02:58 AM.

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:14 AM

It seems like Mejia was going to get the shot on Friday until the game was postponed.

For one spot start that was very likely to be cancelled. The first real shot is still going to Hughes.

This was overwhelmingly about staying with 4 starters as long as possible. I guess they prioritized that over getting Hughes active as quickly as possible, but we've known that since March.

Edited by spycake, 17 April 2018 - 06:40 AM.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:58 PM

For that Yankees start, at least we know Hughes will attack the strike zone.

That approach gives me heartburn just thinking about it. I'll be sure to have an extra 12 pack and a fresh bottle of Pepto at the ready to "experience" that game.

• Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

#18 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,823 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

At the rate we're going, we won't need those starters until the back to back to back quadruple-headers late in the year. I'm wondering if the CBA will give us a 30 man roster for those games.

• Brock Beauchamp, Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#19 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

Hughes didn’t pitch yesterday. I wonder if he will be the 5th starter and pitch as soon as Sunday. Mejia starts today so he could go the 24th if he doesn’t have a high pitch count today. Looks like Hughes this time. I don’t know how much longer he can rehab.

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,209 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:02 AM

Oh boy. I don't know how much more excitement I can take thinking about Hughes pitching for the Twins again...
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this