Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins option Ryan LaMarre to AAA

ryan lamarre phil hughes
  • Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

This season. Pfft.

For a career, if I used b-r.com's Play Index feature correctly, a current pitcher named Jesse Chavez holds the record for plate appearances while maintaining a pure 1.000 BABIP. Unsurprisingly, his 20 PA have been accounted for via 1 base hit, 4 sacrifice bunts (which do not count in BABIP despite being technically "in play"), and 15 strikeouts. When you think about it a second, an NL-style relief pitcher stands out as the right candidate, and Chavez's only starts have been in the AL.

Here's hoping Jesse doesn't spoil things by grounding out a nubber to the first baseman to close his career.

I wonder if that one base hit was a sacrifice bunt attempt where he reached base.

EDIT: I went and looked it up. Not a bunt, a line drive single to RF to lead off an inning. 

EDIT #2: He then got thrown out trying to go first to third on another single.

EDIT #3: There's a video of the baserunning miscue. Oh man, it's not good. Double down the first base line and Chavez forgets to touch second base. He goes back to touch it, realizes the other guy is chugging into second and breaks back for third where he is easily tagged out. Instead of second and third no one out in a tie game, it's one out with a guy on second and the A's don't score. 

https://www.mlb.com/...883?tid=6479266

And here's the hit, very nicely stroked.

https://www.mlb.com/...83?tid=6479266

Edited by ThejacKmp, 16 April 2018 - 01:29 PM.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#102 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:37 PM

5 pages on essentially a non-move involving a career journeyman AAA outfielder. Granted, not all of this has been strictly about La Marre.

Guess that is the result of a weekend of no baseball.

So, if I am putting this all together correctly, La Marre was sent down to bring up Busenitz because Reed isn’t the only bullpen guy under the weather (of course, after this weekend we are all sick of the weather). Further, La Marre will be back in PR for two games and then go back to AAA for (at least) another 4 or 5 days. Unless there are a whole bunch of relievers still sick, 9 relievers for 2 games seems like way too many when literally no one has pitched since Thursday. Indeed, Saturday’s scheduled starter Kyle Gibson should be available in the pen Tuesday. By the time his next start comes, he will be on 10 days rest, if my math is right. He might benefit from throwing 15-25 live game pitches tomorrow actually.
  • Mike Sixel, Danchat and DocBauer like this

#103 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,455 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

EDIT: I went and looked it up. Not a bunt, a line drive single to RF to lead off an inning.

Step in the bucket, collect your prize: an opposite field single!

EDIT #3: There's a video of the baserunning miscue. Oh man, it's not good. Double down the first base line and Chavez forgets to touch second base. He goes back to touch it, realizes the other guy is chugging into second and breaks back for third where he is easily tagged out. Instead of second and third no one out in a tie game, it's one out with a guy on second and the A's don't score.

Thanks for the laugh-out-loud quality LOL-worthy video. I chuckled audibly.

Twins Daily: come for the 1.000 LaMarre BABIP. Stay for the pitcher-running-the-bases follies.

• ThejacKmp and snepp like this

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#104 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

Talking about something is literally NOT equivalent to getting worked up about it, or angsting about it, or freaking out about it......

I'm constantly amazed on this site, when people have a conversation about something, that so many people think there are HUGE emotions tied up in something, when really, there aren't for most of us (as far as I can tell). It's just a conversation.

I would like to like this 694 times.
  • Mike Sixel and bighat like this

#105 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,071 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

Talking about something is literally NOT equivalent to getting worked up about it, or angsting about it, or freaking out about it......

I'm constantly amazed on this site, when people have a conversation about something, that so many people think there are HUGE emotions tied up in something, when really, there aren't for most of us (as far as I can tell). It's just a conversation.

It is absolutely possible to have a conversation without getting worked up over the subject. 

Unless my wife is letting me know that I left a towel on the bathroom floor. 

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#106 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,071 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

At that point, doesn't he stop being the 25th man? 

That is exactly what I dream about. 

• USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#107 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:10 AM

Interesting discussion here regarding whether or not LaMarre deserves the 25th spot, why he made the team, etc. I like the chatter, good points.

I personally think that the FO gave LaMarre the starting job to boost team morale. Forget the fans and statisticians for a minute. Ballplayers like to see good play rewarded. To a man, every single guy on the Twins will say LaMarre earned that spot by crushing the ball in ST and he won that 25th spot fair and square. I think it's sending a message as well: you play well, we'll give you a chance. I think that also helps the Twins' overall reputation in the league.

Now LaMarre is already being moved around like a chess piece and probably will be up and down a few more times. I reckon at some point he'll be spending much more time in Rochester than in the Twin Cities. But I think the Twins clubhouse felt positively about LaMarre making the team. Maybe the FO was trying to make up for BH Park's demotion last year, or trying to protect their reputation. Either way I think that the other 24 guys in the Twins' clubhouse thought LaMarre earned that spot. Management was showing solidarity with those guys by bringing him to the Twin Cities.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#108 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

I'd assume that if they planned on doing it anyway, they probably save a couple thousand dollars by doing it now.

Not sure if this happens often in baseball, with no salary cap, but you see it often in the NHL, as the cap is calculated daily.

Yeah maybe, I have no idea how common this situation is in baseball. 

#109 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,665 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

With Buck scratched due to migraine it’d be nice to have LaMarres glove...

#110 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

With Buck scratched due to migraine it’d be nice to have LaMarres glove...

LaMarre is on the roster for the PR series.
  • Danchat and Sconnie like this

#111 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,071 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

PLAY HIM!

Until he cools off

He's looking Molly in the eye right now and saying I'd like to stay in the majors. 

Let's see if he can. 

• Jerr and DJSim22 like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#112 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:36 PM

At some point the sample size gets semi-large enough that you say “well heck... why not?”
  • Riverbrian likes this

#113 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Best story so far in 2018, I'm enjoying it.

Leave it to my 17 year old to say it's that the old guy who made the team. lol

Edited by DJSim22, 18 April 2018 - 10:38 PM.

• Jerr and Riverbrian like this

#114 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:41 AM

Interesting discussion here regarding whether or not LaMarre deserves the 25th spot, why he made the team, etc. I like the chatter, good points.

I personally think that the FO gave LaMarre the starting job to boost team morale. Forget the fans and statisticians for a minute. Ballplayers like to see good play rewarded. To a man, every single guy on the Twins will say LaMarre earned that spot by crushing the ball in ST and he won that 25th spot fair and square. I think it's sending a message as well: you play well, we'll give you a chance. I think that also helps the Twins' overall reputation in the league.

Now LaMarre is already being moved around like a chess piece and probably will be up and down a few more times. I reckon at some point he'll be spending much more time in Rochester than in the Twin Cities. But I think the Twins clubhouse felt positively about LaMarre making the team. Maybe the FO was trying to make up for BH Park's demotion last year, or trying to protect their reputation. Either way I think that the other 24 guys in the Twins' clubhouse thought LaMarre earned that spot. Management was showing solidarity with those guys by bringing him to the Twin Cities.

I bet they are just trying to win.

#115 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

His story reminds me of Glenn Williams.

He got a cup of coffee in 2005. Appeared in 13 games. Got at least one hit in 13 games.

Still don’t understand how the guy never got another MLB AB. How do you not ride that streak for as long as it lasts?

Even if it ended in the first game of 2006, at least they found out. As it is, he’s the answer to an obscure trivia question for the most games played in MLB with a hit in every game played (if that phraseology makes sense).

Just like LaMarre’s 1.000 BABIP. How do you look the guy in the eye and tell him he’s not playing as long as he has that streak going?
  • Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre, phil hughes