Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins option Ryan LaMarre to AAA

ryan lamarre phil hughes
  • Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,964 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

1) I'm surprised LaMarre has an option remaining. He's been with three major league teams and been DFAed/released multiple times. Having an option for him means that he can shuttle between Rochester and Minnesota when temporary roster issues pop up, just like Vargas last season. 2) In a really small sample size, I do like what I've seen of LaMarre. He looks like an excellent defender, runs very well and so far has gotten his knocks. 3) If the remark above is accurate, it seems much more a concern that the Twins "super bullpen" has evolved into super Addison Reed and question marks. The second best reliever has been Pressly. Duke has been wild, Hildy has allowed every inherited runner to score, and Rodney has a loss and a blown save already. Plus, Kinley and Moya don't look like they'll get to pitch in a high-leverage situation any time soon. 4) Busenitz probably has a chance to stay with the club (if he is, in fact, recalled) given the struggles of Hildenberger and Duke. I thought Busenitz was really good last year, although he didn't get that much high-leverage work.

• Sconnie likes this

#42 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

There is value in having that option. The bench and the bullpen should be fluid. Good management and depth can make it effectively a roster of 27 or more.
  • ahart10 likes this

#43 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

1) I'm surprised LaMarre has an option remaining. He's been with three major league teams and been DFAed/released multiple times. Having an option for him means that he can shuttle between Rochester and Minnesota when temporary roster issues pop up, just like Vargas last season. 2) In a really small sample size, I do like what I've seen of LaMarre. He looks like an excellent defender, runs very well and so far has gotten his knocks. 3) If the remark above is accurate, it seems much more a concern that the Twins "super bullpen" has evolved into super Addison Reed and question marks. The second best reliever has been Pressly. Duke has been wild, Hildy has allowed every inherited runner to score, and Rodney has a loss and a blown save already. Plus, Kinley and Moya don't look like they'll get to pitch in a high-leverage situation any time soon. 4) Busenitz probably has a chance to stay with the club (if he is, in fact, recalled) given the struggles of Hildenberger and Duke. I thought Busenitz was really good last year, although he didn't get that much high-leverage work.

im not exactly “up in arms” over LaMarre, but I am confused why Moya wasn’t demoted. If he’s not going to pitch, what’s the point?

Now if he is going to pitch by necessity, I guess there’s a virus going through the bullpen, then I get the need for a 13th pitcher
  • Mike Sixel and jokin like this

#44 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

They aren't playing tonight or tomorrow and Sunday looks doubtful so I'm not sure why the move is being made right now. 

I'm not particularly a LaMarre believer but Kinley is the guy that needs to go. A wasted 25 man spot is a big deal, especially if they're going to carry 13 pitchers and leave the bench shorthanded. 

Amen. On the west coast, Luke Bard has been magnificent (through 8.1 innings with Angels) so far. The loss of Chargois (pretty good through 4.2 with the Dodgers so far) and Bard for Kinley will become a head scratcher from this FO that draws blood.

LaMarre went 0-5 in his first AAA game. The only way to cool him off this year was to get him depressed and send him down.

Edited by h2oface, 14 April 2018 - 04:11 PM.

#45 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

He is likely only going to end up missing the Tampa series, I don't understand why people are up in arms on this one.

Because that is what people do on message boards.He has been their second best hitter by woba.

#46 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

Busenitz is on his way to Minn

Tell him to change his flight to Puerto Rico.
  • h2oface and big dog like this

#47 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

True, he's hitting .500.

But it's an empty .500.

Classic glass exactly half empty. 

ashburyjohn, I always had you pegged as an optimist....

Edited by Monkeypaws, 14 April 2018 - 06:34 PM.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#48 Gagne Fan

Gagne Fan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

Not sure where you are getting the 0-5 but LaMarre went 2-3 in his Red Wings debut tonight

Edited by Gagne Fan, 14 April 2018 - 08:40 PM.

• DJSim22 likes this

#49 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:45 AM

Not sure where you are getting the 0-5 but LaMarre went 2-3 in his Red Wings debut tonight

I don't know either. I could have sworn I saw it in the Friday boxes I looked at. Thanks for correcting me. Must have gotten the names mixed up. Must have been LaMonte Wade in Lookouts box Fiday box. LaMonte, LaMarre. outfield, top of the order...... I have Partshiemers. I only remember parts of things. I thought it was quick to be playing a game already on Friday, and it was!
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#50 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,837 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

There is value in having that option. The bench and the bullpen should be fluid. Good management and depth can make it effectively a roster of 27 or more.

Except they have little room....the pitching staff is nearly all veterans w/o options. 

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,837 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

They won't use Moya or Kinley in games that matter.....how does a playoff team carry two of those?

• jokin, Sconnie and jud6312 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#52 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

• Intramural Legend likes this

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#53 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

They won't use Moya or Kinley in games that matter.....how does a playoff team carry two of those?

I'm fine with them carrying one guy like Moya, who is basically the 7th reliever and since he's mostly aced the minor league, he can work his way into a role where Molitor can trust him. Kinley simply doesn't make sense on this roster. He's not getting any opportunities to prove himself.

• Sconnie likes this

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#54 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Darren Wolfson

@DWolfsonKSTP

No surprise: told OF Ryan LaMarre will be rejoining the #MNTwins for the games in Puerto Rico

Please explain how the 10-day rule is waived, Mr Doogie check-mark.

Edited by jokin, 15 April 2018 - 10:28 AM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#55 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

He is likely only going to end up missing the Tampa series, I don't understand why people are up in arms on this one.

You must be new here - up in arms is the unofficial motto here.

• DJSim22, ThejacKmp and snap4birds like this

#56 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,643 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Players need to be given the chance to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves. 

I don't want anybody to confuse what I'm saying as a personal opinion that LaMarre will be better than Morrison going forward. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm basing long term conclusions on an 11 game stretch of April Games.

However... there is little doubt that LaMarre has been better than Morrison (and others) during this 11 game stretch when getting a tiny amount of chances.  

I continue to wait for the time when playing time decisions are not based upon who the Manager thinks is better. But rather... who is actually playing better at the time. Regardless of reputation, contract size or anything that distracts from who is actually playing better RIGHT NOW!!!  

I continue to wait for a time when a manager looks at a guy with 4 hits in 8 AB's and compares him to the guy with 3 hits in 34 AB's and says... I think I should give the guy with 4 hits in 8 AB's a few more plate appearances at the expense of the guy with 3 hits in 34 AB's. (I'm not saying Morrison should be benched but I am saying that he can yield some playing time). 

In a nutshell... I have no problem with LaMarre getting sent down. I have a problem with LaMarre not getting a chance to show he shouldn't be sent down before he is sent down. I have a problem with a guy hitting .500 and not getting more at bats to see if he can hit .600 while the team has a guy hitting .088. playing every day at the DH position. 

• jokin, h2oface and ahart10 like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#57 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Please explain how the 10-day rule is waived, Mr Doogie check-mark.

I believe teams get a 26th man for special regular season games in Puerto Rico, Japan, etc., and that 26th man isn't subject to the 10 day rule.
  • Danchat likes this

#58 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

Players need to be given the chance to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves. 

I don't want anybody to confuse what I'm saying as a personal opinion that LaMarre will be better than Morrison going forward. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm basing long term conclusions on an 11 game stretch of April Games.

However... there is little doubt that LaMarre has been better than Morrison (and others) during this 11 game stretch when getting a tiny amount of chances.  

I continue to wait for the time when playing time decisions are not based upon who the Manager thinks is better. But rather... who is actually playing better at the time. Regardless of reputation, contract size or anything that distracts from who is actually playing better RIGHT NOW!!!  

I continue to wait for a time when a manager looks at a guy with 4 hits in 8 AB's and compares him to the guy with 3 hits in 34 AB's and says... I think I should give the guy with 4 hits in 8 AB's a few more plate appearances at the expense of the guy with 3 hits in 34 AB's. (I'm not saying Morrison should be benched but I am saying that he can yield some playing time). 

In a nutshell... I have no problem with LaMarre getting sent down. I have a problem with LaMarre not getting a chance to show he shouldn't be sent down before he is sent down. I have a problem with a guy hitting .500 and not getting more at bats to see if he can hit .600 while the team has a guy hitting .088. playing every day at the DH position. 

Well, according to Doogie anyway, the Twins seem to have acknowledged that it was all just a big misunderstanding, and packed away his uniform on the plane to Puerto Rico. (Still like to get an explanation on how the 10-day rule was waived).

The move from last Friday was faintly reminiscent of a Kennys Vargas 2015 demotion in the midst of a three-week stretch of near-regular playing time- and in that stretch, being the team's hottest hitter- hitting .347 and slugging .510.

As the old adage goes for the Twins.... the bench player with options is always the first to go when you need a 14th (and at least once under Gardy, a 15th) pitcher.

Edited by jokin, 15 April 2018 - 10:54 AM.

• Sconnie likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#59 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

I believe teams get a 26th man for special regular season games in Puerto Rico, Japan, etc., and that 26th man isn't subject to the 10 day rule.

Thanks, spycake. It looks like Mr Lamarre is in the process of picking up beaucoup airline miles over this 10-day "demotion".

Edited by jokin, 15 April 2018 - 10:53 AM.

#60 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

Except they have little room....the pitching staff is nearly all veterans w/o options.

How many do they need? Does it compare unfavorably with other teams?

The 4th bench player has options and can be moved for a 13th pitcher. Moya and if necessary Hildenberger have options and can be flipped if the bullpen is overworked.

I think he have the necessary flexibility.
  • jokin likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre, phil hughes