Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins option Ryan LaMarre to AAA

ryan lamarre phil hughes
  • Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

So, one game Sunday, off day, two games in Puerto Rico and then another day off.

13 pitchers are needed?

Really?

Really????
  • Kelly Vance and Dave The Dastardly like this

#22 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:43 PM

It was done today to start Ryan's clock to come back. They can bring 26 guys to Puerto Rico, so by moving him today, he'll only miss the Tampa series
  • ashburyjohn, ThejacKmp, ahart10 and 6 others like this

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

So, one game Sunday, off day, two games in Puerto Rico and then another day off.
13 pitchers are needed?
Really?
Really????

Don't need the 5th SP now. They will bring up a position player even if it's short term. Granite I say, but could be Vargas on a temporary move, but I kind of doubt it, even with the PR trip.
  • bighat likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

Well, he was only hitting .500 with an ops of 1.000

Expected better from him.

• DJSim22, h2oface, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#25 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

Adding Vargas back on the 40-man. Strange move, because he would probably be the first to go if and when the Twins would add back Santana (assuming they could/wuld 650-day him) and May.

Hughes is the elephant in the room. They don';t want to eat his salary. They NEED to give him a start or two before cutting him, if they choose to do so (which is sad).

But going to P.R., they probably need an additional bat more than an extra bullpen spot. That Kinley hasn't been used is beyond me. This is a waste on a team that is contending, and also playing weak offense overall.

It makes no sense. They had to know game conditions before making this move, and considering that a secondary move hasn't happened. If they truly wanted a different arm for the bullpen, they could send out Hildenberger or Moya, both of whom would get more pitching time in the minors next week, perhaps, than in the majors...and add back Duffey and even bring up Enns and let him pitch blowouts just to see what they got and if they want it.

And if it is salary, I probably would've kept LaMarre and Granite over Grossman.

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,853 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

True, he's hitting .500.

But it's an empty .500.

• kab21 likes this

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "We've updated our privacy policy"

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

Don't need the 5th SP now. They will bring up a position player even if it's short term. Granite I say, but could be Vargas on a temporary move, but I kind of doubt it, even with the PR trip.

Then why send LaMarre down in the first place? Anyone who has seen a weather forecast this week should have hada pretty good idea that Friday and Saturday were going to be postponed. Sunday is far from guaranteed as well.
  • jokin, Danchat and bighat like this

#28 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

It was done today to start Ryan's clock to come back. They can bring 26 guys to Puerto Rico, so by moving him today, he'll only miss the Tampa series

Why can they bring 26 guys to PR?

Career Game Thread Record: 2-1

#29 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

Why can they bring 26 guys to PR?

Apparently games played outside the US allows an extra position player. Doing it this way allows them to add an extra pitchers the 25th person, and then Ryan as the 26th. He is lot exempt from the 10 day rule after the get back to the US, so will miss the TB series
  • milldaddy35 and olivia11 like this

#30 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

Latest listing had him at .067

#31 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

Maybe they want to bring up Cave.

#32 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,402 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:49 PM

Kind of saw this coming. I didn't think they'd drop a reliever.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#33 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:49 AM

• Han Joelo, birdwatcher and Sconnie like this

#34 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

FWIW the Twins can clear a 40-man spot by moving E. Santana to the 60 day DL retroactively, so the Vargas playing at home hypothesis still can be in play.

Not sure why they would need yet another pitcher when they will not be playing due to weather and travel for a while...

The problem with that is it would keep Santana out until around June 1.Everything I have read indicates they are trying to get him back sometime in May.With the #5 starter likely Hughes, it would be risky keeping Santana out that long...unless the Doctors are telling him he is going to be out longer than the media is indicating.

#35 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

The problem with that is it would keep Santana out until around June 1. Everything I have read indicates they are trying to get him back sometime in May. With the #5 starter likely Hughes, it would be risky keeping Santana out that long...unless the Doctors are telling him he is going to be out longer than the media is indicating.

There are several options besides Hughes for 5th starter, and assumptions by media that this may be a move for an extra reliever. All the Hughes angst might be for naught.

this has been brought up several times... it depends on how well he gets into game shape, but spring training for pitchers is 6 weeks and those guys show up able to throw a ball. 6 weeks from when he was given clearance to throw would be roughly Memorial Day. 8 weeks retroactive would be June 1. One bad start by Hughes seems to me to be a bad reason to not 60 day DL Santana

Odds of Santana being in game shape in 6 weeks from clearance seems low to me. I think best case might be Lynn’s first outing on 4-5 weeks of spring training, and worst case might be risk of further injury by rushing him.

All conjecture; 60 day DL seems prudent. I’d rather he got healthy and in game shape without the pressure.

Mejia is a good option to take that start or two if needed. Not as good as a healthy Santana, but we don’t know when Santana will be healthy and game shape.

#36 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

There are several options besides Hughes for 5th starter, and assumptions by media that this may be a move for an extra reliever. All the Hughes angst might be for naught.

this has been brought up several times... it depends on how well he gets into game shape, but spring training for pitchers is 6 weeks and those guys show up able to throw a ball. 6 weeks from when he was given clearance to throw would be roughly Memorial Day. 8 weeks retroactive would be June 1. One bad start by Hughes seems to me to be a bad reason to not 60 day DL Santana

Odds of Santana being in game shape in 6 weeks from clearance seems low to me. I think best case might be Lynn’s first outing on 4-5 weeks of spring training, and worst case might be risk of further injury by rushing him.

All conjecture; 60 day DL seems prudent. I’d rather he got healthy and in game shape without the pressure.

Mejia is a good option to take that start or two if needed. Not as good as a healthy Santana, but we don’t know when Santana will be healthy and game shape.

Does anyone know if you could back date Santana's 60-day DL to the day he went on the 10-day, March 29?In that case, he would be eligible to come off the DL around May 28.

#37 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

because we need to demote a guy who is 4 for 8 and hit .485 in the spring in order to activate a guy who will get lit up like a Christmas tree in his three or four starts before we have to cut him. Yeah, go Twins

#38 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:03 PM

Does anyone know if you could back date Santana's 60-day DL to the day he went on the 10-day, March 29? In that case, he would be eligible to come off the DL around May 28.

Yes, they could backdate it to opening day. So he'd be eligible to be activated as early as the 61st day of the season.

#39 Gagne Fan

Gagne Fan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

Busenitz is on his way to Minn
  • Danchat and Sconnie like this

#40 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

because we need to demote a guy who is 4 for 8 and hit .485 in the spring in order to activate a guy who will get lit up like a Christmas tree in his three or four starts before we have to cut him. Yeah, go Twins

He is likely only going to end up missing the Tampa series, I don't understand why people are up in arms on this one.

• Han Joelo, DJSim22, ThejacKmp and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre, phil hughes