Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Us Bank Stadium.....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

......looks like a great place for baseball. At least for the next 3 games. Sano could practice hitting Moon shots.

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,300 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

It doesn't meet mlb standards.
Specifically, down the right field line is too short.
  • Jerr likes this

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

It doesn't meet mlb standards.
Specifically, down the right field line is too short.

So, it would be about the same as old Yankee Stadium. 😉
  • jokin, snepp, woolywoolhouse and 3 others like this

#4 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

No. just no.

• Jerr, benchwarmerjim and Nine of twelve like this

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,941 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

So, it would be about the same as old Yankee Stadium.

Which wouldn't meet mlb standards.

• snepp and Pardon My Dinger like this

Me: *opens yogurt* ... Yogurt: "Hello! We've updated our privacy policy"

#6 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:55 AM

Yeah, dont think the Vikings would go for that either
  • Jerr likes this

#7 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

It would be kind of fun to go see one Twins game there, but.... no. Not happening.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#8 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

Reading this thread makes me think that I should go see a Gophers game there one of these years just for the experience of doing it. Same for a Saints game at CHS.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 14 April 2018 - 12:57 PM.

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

It would be kind of fun to go see one Twins game there, but.... no. Not happening.

yeah It would be fun if they surprised everyone and were working on a one-time game at the Bank for tomorrow.* It is the peoples stadium, right?

* no idea if anything was scheduled for this weekend there

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#10 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

yeah It would be fun if they surprised everyone and were working on a one-time game at the Bank for tomorrow.* It is the peoples stadium, right?
* no idea if anything was scheduled for this weekend there

Maybe they can’t play a regulation game but it would be fun to see them scrimmage there, or practice. I hope they are warm enough (not trying to pun with the weather there, I mean warm enough in their baseball playing) and ready enough to play their games against Cleveland without having games for the last three days so early in the season.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and bighat like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

We could have used Miller Park in Milwaukee this weekend (the Brewers are on the road).
  • bighat likes this

#12 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:05 AM

We could have used Miller Park in Milwaukee this weekend (the Brewers are on the road).

I believe the Chicago Cubs & Cleveland once used Miller Park to play a make-up game. And Carlos Zambrano threw a dang no-hitter, too!

Remember the Astros using Tropicana as their "home field" for a few games last year? Why shouldn't the Twins use US Bank for a game or two? This is a record-breakingly snowy April, it's not like they'd need to do this all the time.

I am guessing though, that the Twins don't want to start a pattern. If they use US Bank once, every rainout, fans will say "Just use US Bank" and it'll cause problems they don't want to deal with.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#13 jkcarew

jkcarew

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

Vikings don't have control over what happens and doesn't happen in US Bank.That is governed by the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority.So, if MLB and the Twins wanted to play a game at US bank, the Vikings wouldn't have anything to say about it.

Having said that, as mentioned above, the baseball configuration does not meet MLB standards.It's fine and super convenient for college and high school, and in March and early April it is not unusual to have 4-5 games per day booked some days.I've gone to many such events/games at both the Metrodome and US Bank...although, the last games I went to at US Bank were last April, haven't gone this spring yet.

The dimensions aren't great, and there are other factors as well.There are no dugouts...just 'cages' off to the side, similar to what you might see on a youth or municipal field.Also, there are no dirt areas surrounding the bases (at least as of last April)...dirt only around home plate (and the pitching mound)...so, in effect, no sliding area (although there was sliding) at either first, second, or third...which would be a non-starter right there for MLB.I'd post a picture if I could figure out how :(The configuration really doesn't look anything like what you see on the Stadium website.

• benchwarmerjim likes this

#14 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:31 PM

Unless the roof caves in.

#15 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

Bears a striking resemblance to another football stadium configured for baseball that we used to know and love.

022417ICBASE-1100x825.jpg

• Danchat and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#16 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

I have been there for several Gopher baseball games and yeah, it's not the greatest facility for baseball but considering we had the coldest game in Twins history a couple of weeks ago it is definitely more comfortable than that. One of the Gopher games I was at this spring was an afternoon game when it was sunny and it was nice. I've heard it's not going to be available next spring because of the Final Four so I will miss being able to get my baseball fix indoors in March. The concessions are horrible though - definitely eat before you go. And the seats are not very comfortable, the ones at Target Field are much better.