Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/12): Red Wings Play Extras To Gain First Win

lewin diaz tyler wells jake cave royce lewis alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

Minor league players already have a tough day. Little is gained from long games, I have no issue with the change at all. It literally hurts no one

This is what I was going to mention. What is the point of playing extra innings for these guys? You want to keep them healthy, and being in a demanding, grinding schedule doesn't mix well with 15 inning games. Also, what happens if they run of out pitchers or overextend someone in extras? The rule makes sense...as long as it stays in the minors. 

• Doctor Wu likes this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,540 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

This is what I was going to mention. What is the point of playing extra innings for these guys? You want to keep them healthy, and being in a demanding, grinding schedule doesn't mix well with 15 inning games. Also, what happens if they run of out pitchers or overextend someone in extras? The rule makes sense...as long as it stays in the minors. 

If it became a permanent difference between the majors and minors, it could harm the perception by local fans that the games are being played competitively. That's already a problem IMO, with obvious strategic moves (lefty-vs-righty pinch hitters for example) not being employed in critical situations, and pitching moves or non-moves made with apparent orders from higher up to allow a certain number of pitches to a starter no matter what. Gimmicky extra-innings rules won't by themselves cause fans to tune out and not show up at the ball park, unless they happened to be the tipping point on top of everything else.

Nothing is so annoying as someone going on talking when I'm interrupting.

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

If it became a permanent difference between the majors and minors, it could harm the perception by local fans that the games are being played competitively. That's already a problem IMO, with obvious strategic moves (lefty-vs-righty pinch hitters for example) not being employed in critical situations, and pitching moves or non-moves made with apparent orders from higher up to allow a certain number of pitches to a starter no matter what. Gimmicky extra-innings rules won't by themselves cause fans to tune out and not show up at the ball park, unless they happened to be the tipping point on top of everything else.

But affiliated minor leagues ARE for development. If the local fans don't realize that, then that's on them.

#24 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

He is 23, the exact average age of A+. So I am not sure where this "age vs level" thing is coming from. I suppose if you're comparing his age to top 3 rounders at this level, then yeah, by a year or 2. But everyone knows he was a bargain and should have gone top 10, but he missed some time his junior year of college. Either way, he's damn good and if he stays healthy he will be a top prospect. I don't know if I have seen such smooth, repeatable mechanics on a 6'8" guy before. It's exciting though. Andy Pettite was a 22nd rounder. Late bloomers are my favorite! I just love their underdog, watch my prove it mentality. I like Andrew Vaquez and Poppen for this reason too

We all enjoy late bloomers. They are part of what makes prospect wacthing fun, but Wells is either a Baxendale type of pitcher or there is something more there. Hope he gets to AA this year so we can see.

#25 gagu

gagu

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationLimache, Chile

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:15 PM

"An interesting note, in a couple of the extra innings, the Red Wings manager had the pitcher intentionally walk the leadoff batter of the inning to set up a first and second situation. It worked the first two times."

I am very interested in seeing how this plays out over the course of the season. If you are the home team, I think it is smart to follow the run expectancy rules and not walk the leadoff hitter (Teams score an average of roughly 1.10 runs with a runner on 2nd and 0 outs, vs the roughly 1.50 runs with a runners on 1st and 2nd and 0 outs).

However, if you are the visiting team and you can't give up a single run or you lose, the best approach would be to use the best strategy to prevent giving up a single run. In terms of runner on 2nd and 0 outs vs 1st and 2nd and 0 outs, they are nearly identical at roughly a 61% chance of giving up a run.

Great post, Andrew. I assume the scoring % stats used are for the major league play. I'm relatively clueless about MiLB nuances. Never been to a game, but with having less experienced and talented infielders are grounded into double plays less common in the minors? Plus, I assume MiLB pitchers tend to give up more walks than major leaguers with first base already occupied. The logical strategy might be much different for A ball in comparison to AAA. Just spitballing. Anyway, it's another interesting thing to think about when scanning the box scores.

#26 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:49 AM

You make a good point. On one level, I agree. But I also am an "old school" guy who used to hold season tickets to Orlando Twins games and always was of the mindset that baseball is baseball. Extra innings? No problem. Play 10, play 20. I always liked the drama of extra inning games, even in the minor leagues. It's the way the game has always been played. In any case, I'm still on the fence regarding this new extra innings rule, or whatever they are calling it. Not crazy about it, but not saying I won't change my mind at some point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lewin diaz, tyler wells, jake cave, royce lewis, alex kirilloff