Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 4, CHW 0: Mauer Reaches 2,000 Hits, Leads Twins to Victory

joe mauer jose berrios
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:30 AM

Replay / review aided the Twins as well.Without that, Buxton is caught stealing and the Twins likely do not score the 2 runs in the 3rd.That made it a different ballgame.

• h2oface likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#22 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

Replay / review aided the Twins as well.Without that, Buxton is caught stealing and the Twins likely do not score the 2 runs in the 3rd.That made it a different ballgame.

You're right, and Buxton had a huge impact on the bases that inning. Singled, stole second, advanced to third on a fly out to the center fielder and then scored on a groundball hit to the shortstop while the infield was drawn in.

A very small percentage of players would have been able to make all that happen. The White Sox made some poor throws that allowed him to get to third and then home, but it definitely seemed like they were feeling the pressure of Buxton on the bases.

On replay, I still can't believe it took them over three and a half minutes to review that Berrios-Anderson pickoff and they still got it wrong.

• Twins33, DocBauer and bighat like this

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,283 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Great game! Congrats to Mauer.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#24 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

It is too bad they probably won't be able to build on this momentum and take a few more from the Sox since the weather gods show they do not care about the Twins and their home stand.Hopefully winter will be over by the All-Star break.

• bighat likes this

#25 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

Tonight's game cancelled, ya think?

#26 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

I think they are predicting tonight and tomorrow almost sure to be cancelled and a strong chance for Sunday as well.

#27 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

Was in KC August 2016 for Twins/Royals.Watched Berrios LABOR through about 3 innings.Seemed like every hitter was 3-2.Kept hearing "he needs to trust his stuff".What a difference 2 years makes.This kid is special.Don't overanalyze him folks, just enjoy him.

#28 JLease

JLease

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

Berrios is becoming appointment viewing when he's on the mound. you really don't want to miss a start, because it might be something pretty special and almost certainly pretty fun to watch. That curve is filthy and he's spotting his fastball well.

I'm really happy Mauer is off to a fast start and got his 2000 last night. He looks like he's playing free and easy and that swing as just as smooth as it's always been. Kinda back to being surprised when Mauer strikes out. Hope he keeps slashing singles and knocking doubles all over the field.

Fun game, even with the replay delays and fails.

• h2oface likes this

#29 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

Oh hey, look who is leading the league in fWAR for all pitchers:  https://www.fangraph...son1=2018&ind=0

Big deal. Only two wins.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,445 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:52 PM

I wish I could have watched this one. Nothing quite like seeing a 4-0 box score. Means every side of the team was working well.

...... and.... I didn't have to see Rodney!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, jose berrios