Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/11): Kirilloff Crushes for the Kernels

minnesota twins cedar rapids kernels chattanooga lookouts rochester red wings fort myers miracle
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Schwerzler

Ted Schwerzler

Ft Myers

• Twins Writers
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:12 PM

Alex Kirilloff busted out in a big way Wednesday evening, slugging his first two home runs for Cedar Rapids to lead a huge offensive output for the Kernels. Also tonight, Zack Littell tallied 10 strikeouts and Anthony Marzi hurled 6.1 shutout innings. Check out what else happened around the minors.RED WINGS REPORT
Syracuse 7, Rochester 1
Box Score

Dietrich Enns got his first action of the season for the Red Wings, and was unfortunately chased after just 3.2 IP. Leaving with a three run deficit, it was up to Rochester to mount a comeback, and the bats simply didn’t cooperate.

Recently acquired Jake Cave clobbered his first homer as a member of the Twins organization, but that would be the only Red Wings tally of the night. In relief, D.J. Baxendale gave up an unearned run over 2.1 innings, Mason Melotakis surrendered a pair of runs over two frames but also struck out four batters and Jake Reed pitched a scoreless ninth inning.

CHATTANOOGA CHATTER
Pensacola 6, Chattanooga 5
Box Score

There was a little bit of everything tonight from the Lookouts. Starter Zack Littell racked up an impressive 10 strikeouts over just four innings pitched, but he also ave up three runs on seven hits and a walk.

Both Todd Van Steensel (one earned run over 2.0 innings) and Zack Jones (two earned runs over 2.0 innings) allowed runs in relief, but the Lookouts pitching staff combined for 16 strikeouts on the night. The dormant offense awoke as the game wore on. A four-run rally in the ninth inning came up just one run short. Both Zander Wiel and Nick Gordon picked up multi-hit games on the night, and T.J. White launched his first homer of the season.

MIRACLE MATTERS
Fort Myers 9, Florida 0
Box Score

Anthony Marzi got the nod for the Miracle tonight, and we has brilliant while getting plenty of support. Throwing 6.1 IP of efficient baseball, he scattered four hits while striking out five and walking none. Marzi threw 49 of his 74 pitches for strikes (66.2 percent). Logan Lombana threw the final 2.2 frames to complete the shutout.

Jimmy Kerrigan notched his second homer of the season, and also added a double in a two-hit, four-RBI effort on the evening. Mitchell Kranson (3 for 4) and Alex Perez (2 for 4) also recorded multi-hit efforts fort the Miracle tonight.

KERNELS NUGGETS
Cedar Rapids 12, Peoria 9
Box Score

Seven out of the nine batters in the Kernels lineup picked up a base hit tonight, and five of them tallied multi-hit games. Alex Kirilloff was no doubt the star of the game as he launched a pair of long balls en route to a six RBI night, but he wasn't the only bat to bust loose.

Ben Rodriguez was 3-or-5 and hit his first Midwest League home run. David Banuelos also hit his first homer for the Kernels and had a single. Jordan Gore had a pair of hits and a walk and Ben Rortvedt was 2-for-5.

Despite getting a short start from Randy Dobnak (3.2 innings), Calvin Faucher and Ryan Mason came on to shut down the Peoria lineup. Faucher pitched 2.1 shutout innings with four strikeouts and Ryan Mason earned his second save of the year after allowing one run over the final three innings. The Kernels have now improved to 5-0 on the 2018 season.

STARS OF THE DAY
Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day: Anthony Marzi, Fort Myers Miracle (6.1 IP 4 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 5 K)
Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Day: Alex Kirilloff, Cedar Rapid Kernels (3-4 2 R 6 RBI 2 HR)

TOP PROSPECT SUMMARY
Here's a look at how the Twins Daily Top 20 Prospects performed:

2. Nick Gordon 2-for-5, RBI
5. Alex Kirilloff 3-for-5, 2 R, 6 RBI, 2 HR
7. Brent Rooker 0-for-4, 3 K
10. Akil Baddoo 0-for-3, 2 R, BB
11. Zack Littell 4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 10 K
14. LaMonte Wade 0-3, BB
16. Ben Rortvedt 2-for-5, 2B, R
17. Travis Blankenhorn 1-for-4, RBI

THURSDAY’S PROBABLE STARTERS
Red Wings @ Gwinnett (6:05pm CST) – RHP Myles Jaye (0-0 0.00 ERA)
Chattanooga @ Pensacola (6:35pm CST) – LHP Stephen Gonsalves (1-0 0.00 ERA)
Miracle vs Florida (6:00pm CST) – Tyler Wells (0-0 2.25 ERA)
Kernels @ Peoria (6:30pm CST) – Nick Brown (0-0 0.00 ERA)

Click here to view the article
  • glunn likes this
- Ted Schwerzler
Off The Baggy
@tlschwerz

#2 108Stitches

108Stitches

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

Wow Rooker on the STRUUUGLE bus! And way to go ALEX!

#3 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:41 AM

yeahbased on the early season struggles of Rooker and Morrison I'd say it's time to renew Mauer's contract.

• Dman, PDX Twin, CUtomorrownight and 2 others like this

#4 kengrosz

kengrosz

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:54 AM

So happy for Alex!!!

• bluechipper and gagu like this

#5 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:49 AM

Great to see Ben Rortvedt hitting early (.471 BA)!

• USNMCPO, bluechipper, Bob Sacamento and 7 others like this

#6 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:03 AM

I know it’s 1 start for Dietrich Enns, but his start highlights how he should pitch in the bullpen while Gonsalves should be pitching in the rotation in Rochester.

#7 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:30 AM

What a nice foursome at Cedar Rapids, Kiriloff, Bechtold, Rortvedt and Baddoo.Although Baddoo's bat hasn't come to life yet, the other three are ripping the cover off the ball. 

Will be great if all four can move to Florida later this summer, then on to the Twins by sometime in 2020.Should be our next wave of replacements who won together throughout the minors.

• gunnarthor and gagu like this

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,955 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:07 AM

16. Ben Rortvedt 2-for-5, 2B, RBI, R

I hate to take away anything from "my" guy, but I don't see an RBI for Rortvedt in yesterday's box score or game log.

• Ted Schwerzler and MN_ExPat like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#9 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:13 AM

Just based on what I've read, I'm excited about Ben Rortvedt and his prospects of making the big league club as a starting catcher in a few years. Good to see him off to a great start!

#10 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

I hate to take away anything from "my" guy, but I don't see an RBI for Rortvedt in yesterday's box score or game log.

Fixed, thank you. 

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

I know it’s 1 start for Dietrich Enns, but his start highlights how he should pitch in the bullpen while Gonsalves should be pitching in the rotation in Rochester.

I'm a Gonsalves fan. I''m not an Enns fan. But making anything from anyone's first start of the year in these conditions isn't really fair. I know that's not what you're doing. 

• Tomj14 and MN_ExPat like this

#12 GM64

GM64

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:05 AM

Maybe it is just the angle from which I'm seeing the at bats, but holy cow does it look like Kirilloff loads up as the ball is delivered.  

#13 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

Self-Appointed, Chief Executive Twins Daily Lurker

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:36 AM

Maybe it is just the angle from which I'm seeing the at bats, but holy cow does it look like Kirilloff loads up as the ball is delivered.  

He generally is pretty smooth with a small step

https://www.youtube....h?v=HGt5fTrOc1g

"I lurk so hard, you thought I was a DJ." Limestone Baggy

"In order to have a testimony, you have to have a test." Teddy Bridgewater

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,306 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, he certainly seems to have a nice natural power swing.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,306 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

Out of curiosity, anyone know the dimensions of the park in Cedar Rapids? I saw 310 down the LF line.

#16 Ted Schwerzler

Ted Schwerzler

Ft Myers

• Twins Writers
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

Out of curiosity, anyone know the dimensions of the park in Cedar Rapids? I saw 310 down the LF line.

From Wikipedia:

L-R: 315, 378, 400, 390, 325

• gunnarthor, dbminn and Tom Froemming like this
- Ted Schwerzler
Off The Baggy
@tlschwerz

#17 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Nice to see there's not too much rust for Kirilloff.A good season could really establish him as a leader of the next wave of youth with Lewis.

• Ted Schwerzler and gagu like this

#18 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,306 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

From Wikipedia:

L-R: 315, 378, 400, 390, 325

Cool, that's a real park. Thanks.

• Ted Schwerzler likes this

#19 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

What a nice foursome at Cedar Rapids, Kiriloff, Bechtold, Rortvedt and Baddoo.Although Baddoo's bat hasn't come to life yet, the other three are ripping the cover off the ball. 

Will be great if all four can move to Florida later this summer, then on to the Twins by sometime in 2020.Should be our next wave of replacements who won together throughout the minors.

Add the most recent #1 overall pick, and that's an even nicer fivesome.
  • gagu and jkcarew like this

#20 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

And can you believe that I forgot to include Lewis in that group...so its a nice fivesome!And that doesn't include Enlow or a couple guys waiting in the wings in EST...namely, Javier and Graterol.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, cedar rapids kernels, chattanooga lookouts, rochester red wings, fort myers miracle