Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/7): Gonsalves Great, Kernels Walk it Off in Extras

stephen gonsalves royce lewis ryne harper travis blankenhorn alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

Whats the going prediction for when Gonsalves will get his debut in the show? Really like this kid a lot. (I know, get in line, right?)

I share the desire to see Gonsalves in MLB.Nice to have some good pitchers around the team again. 

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

Thanks to the top prospect recap summary I see Tyler Jay made an appearance yesterday! How's he looking these days? I kind of forgot about him as a bullpen option.

EDIT: Also, did he ever end up having a surgery to fix his ailment? Or did rest and rehab do the trick?

No, he never had surgery. The rest and rehab did the trick. He looked fine this spring. He's not a big guy, but he's got some really good stuff.

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

Never second guess a play that worked? That can encourage poor decisions. For example, a player runs throw the third base coach's stop sign and the throw has him beat by 20 feet. The catcher drops the throw and kicks it out of play. I would not only "second guess" that decision, but also provide a short lecture on why the third base coach makes decisions. Just because a bad decision turned out okay doesn't make it a good decision.

Yes and no... As a coach, you want to encourage aggressive, but smart decision making. In the case last night, I thought Baddoo made a good, aggressive move. The 3B was in. He had to dive. Baddoo was off of 2B already, and yes, he was able to make it. 

I would say this though... especially in the lower levels, managers and coaches should (and often do) question players. They let catchers call the games, and then they talk about good and bad pitches between innings and after games. For fast guys, they encourage them to try to steal bases, understanding they're probably going to go at some non-good situations, but they can learn from those situaitons, and they'll talk through those situations. 

I think most coaches will encourage aggressive over passive. And most coaches/managers in the lower levels love teaching and this is part of it. 

That was a long answer basically saying that there isn't a direct answer to that question. 

• ashburyjohn, diehardtwinsfan and terrydactyls1947 like this

#24 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

Only in the Twins organization does a guy like Gonsalves move backward.

He already has pitched 162 innings of AA baseball between 2016 and 2017.He has a career AA ERA of 2.21 with 188 strikeouts, and a career minor league ERA of 2.36.

So, even though he finished the 2017 season in AAA, the LOGICAL thing to do is send him back to AA.

#25 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:06 PM

Yep. Because literally every organization is the same and has the same players.

#26 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

Wouldn’t be shocked if they saw the early forecasts in Rochester and just wanted him to get innings in to stay fresh. 3 games postponed up north already
  • Taildragger8791 and AceWrigley like this

#27 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Rochester's weather forecast was for arctic mayhem.Both Gordon and Gonsalves, 2 players I believe the Twins would consider as "first call-ups" if needed, have had a chance to play instead of sitting around.Good call.

• Twins33, bluechipper and Taildragger8791 like this

#28 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

Was this then also their way of limiting Romero's innings? Send him to Rochester where he might not pitch til May? Now that's some out of the box thinking
  • Steve Lein, Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#29 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

Was this then also their way of limiting Romero's innings? Send him to Rochester where he might not pitch til May? Now that's some out of the box thinking

May is awfully hyperbolic considering he'll probably pitch in the next few days if he's ready.

The likely explanation is Romero is 3rd or 4th in line for an early season call-up if the Twins suddenly need a starter, whereas Gonsalves and others are on the shortlist and need to stay ready. Gonsalves also needs to build innings after having an injury-shortened season last year. There wasn't room for Romero in AA unless you want to send someone else down to A ball that doesn't belong there, or you want to bump a shortlister to AAA where he wouldn't be able to stay ready. Ultimatley this is at most a week of slippage for his first start and is a lot of heartburn over nothing. If anything, now we get to have him for another week later in the season when he might be helping the big league club.

Edited by Taildragger8791, 09 April 2018 - 08:55 AM.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,505 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

People are arguing the Twins knew the weather would be this way weeks ago?
  • Tomj14 likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

He already has pitched 162 innings of AA baseball between 2016 and 2017.He has a career AA ERA of 2.21 with 188 strikeouts, and a career minor league ERA of 2.36.

So, even though he finished the 2017 season in AAA, the LOGICAL thing to do is send him back to AA.

That's not an "only in the Twins organization" thing. 

It's silly that he's there, but as is often the case (in all organizations), early season assignments are just as much about numbers as anything else... It's a byproduct of the Lynn signing and Mejia being sent down, and Romero kind of pushing his way ahead. 

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

Wouldn’t be shocked if they saw the early forecasts in Rochester and just wanted him to get innings in to stay fresh. 3 games postponed up north already

Of course, if that's true, then they probably wouldn't have send Romero to Rochester. 

• Steve Lein and Mike Sixel like this

#33 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:15 PM

May is awfully hyperbolic considering he'll probably pitch in the next few days if he's ready.

The likely explanation is Romero is 3rd or 4th in line for an early season call-up if the Twins suddenly need a starter, whereas Gonsalves and others are on the shortlist and need to stay ready. Gonsalves also needs to build innings after having an injury-shortened season last year. There wasn't room for Romero in AA unless you want to send someone else down to A ball that doesn't belong there, or you want to bump a shortlister to AAA where he wouldn't be able to stay ready. Ultimatley this is at most a week of slippage for his first start and is a lot of heartburn over nothing. If anything, now we get to have him for another week later in the season when he might be helping the big league club.

Yes, the hyperbole was intended. My post was meant to be very light hearted.

If I were to make a more serious post... I don't think Gonsalves being put at AA had anything to do with the weather. Because weather is pretty hard to predict. And if keeping those who are next in line ready is the argument, then why is Mejia in Rochester? And probably Slegers?
Plus, I don't think there is too strong of an argument that Gonsalves would be clearly ahead of Romero on a 'next in line to the majors' list. Seems like a bit of grasping at straws as to why Gonsalves is in AA. I don't fully get the decision but I am really not worried about it. No heartburn here. Well at least not because of the minor league assignments. 😀

#34 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

Just an ill-conceived mention based on too small of a sample size, but aren't there an awful lot of walks being given up in the minors?I believe the Twins have always preached "throwing strikes". I don't want to start a debate about "pitching to contact", but shouldn't throwing strikes be emphasized in the minors?

#35 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

Just an ill-conceived mention based on too small of a sample size, but aren't there an awful lot of walks being given up in the minors? I believe the Twins have always preached "throwing strikes". I don't want to start a debate about "pitching to contact", but shouldn't throwing strikes be emphasized in the minors?

I think every team, at every level of baseball emphasizes throwing strikes. It's not easy to execute though.
Unless of course you just soft toss it over the middle. But throwing strikes that aren't easily hittable is very hard to do. It's why guys like Kershaw and Verlander and Scherzer get paid like they do.

#36 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

That's not an "only in the Twins organization" thing. 

It's silly that he's there, but as is often the case (in all organizations), early season assignments are just as much about numbers as anything else... It's a byproduct of the Lynn signing and Mejia being sent down, and Romero kind of pushing his way ahead. 

The Twins are most undoubtedly the most conservative organization in baseball in the movement of their prospects, particularly when you consider that they have been in rebuilding mode for six seasons.  

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

The Twins are most undoubtedly the most conservative organization in baseball in the movement of their prospects, particularly when you consider that they have been in rebuilding mode for six seasons.  

They were... that changed some when Brad Steil took over for Jim Rantz,, and I'll need more of a sample size before I make any comments on Jeremy Zoll's strategies. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stephen gonsalves, royce lewis, ryne harper, travis blankenhorn, alex kirilloff