Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/5): Opening Night Fever

nick gordon ryan walker bryan sammons shane carrier phil hughes
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:11 AM

Great to see minor league baseball back!

Only one game so not a lot to note but it's good to see Baddoo and Bechtold taking a lot of pitches/walks again. I really hope they both become on-base machines for us.

• bluechipper likes this

#22 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

Love the top prospect update.

Don’t love that Hughes has a WHIP of like 2 in A ball.
  • diehardtwinsfan, Dman, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

Love the top prospect update.

Don’t love that Hughes has a WHIP of like 2 in A ball.

Yeah, he's probably done. Too bad.

• birdwatcher likes this

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

How is Bechtold defensively? Going off of MLB's write up of him, it sounds like he will be able to stick at third and maybe even be above average there. 

He's a plus defender at 3B. Here's a story I did on him in the offseason: 

http://twinsdaily.co...-bechtold-r6339

I talked to him a bit in Ft. Myers. He told me he was clocked at 101 across the diamond, so he's got a big arm too. 

• James, bluechipper, TNTwinsFan and 2 others like this

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,369 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

I love these!

• Seth Stohs and birdwatcher like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#26 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

How is Bechtold defensively? Going off of MLB's write up of him, it sounds like he will be able to stick at third and maybe even be above average there.

He is one of my AAPs this year. Everything I've read on him is that he'll be a very solid defender. He also has a terrific eye at the plate and will develop 20+ HR power. Oh...and he steals bases! The kid has a real shot to be a 5 Star player. 20/20, good average, high OBP, and solid defense. He's one to watch this year for sure.
  • nater79a, gagu and SF Twins Fan like this

#27 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

When I first saw"CHATTANOOGA CHATTER," I thought they had changed their team name. Great report-thanks!

Sorry if I missed it, but what was Hughes' velocity?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#28 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for doing the update!Thumbs up to the Top 20 prospect lines section.

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,164 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

I guess you would call Hughes outing what, ok? 

8 hits and 3 ER against high A hitters in warm Florida translates to not surviving the first inning in the majors in cold Minnesota against the defending World Champions.

Not.That.Good.

The Twins need a plan B, quickly, otherwise they might as well forfeit that game.

• Mike Sixel likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

When I first saw"CHATTANOOGA CHATTER," I thought they had changed their team name. Great report-thanks!

Sorry if I missed it, but what was Hughes' velocity?

I heard that Hughes topped out at 92. 

#31 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

Gotta love me some Sammons!Big kid too... I think he might be a sleeper prospect with a bright future.One of my picks-to-click this year, among "lower ranked" prospects, along with Hector Lujan, Clark Beeker and Andrew Bechtold.

• caninatl04 likes this

#32 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,560 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

I heard that Hughes topped out at 92. 

How about exit-velocity? :)

• TRex and 70charger like this

Nothing is so annoying as someone going on talking when I'm interrupting.

#33 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

So, I take it the minor league pitchers are on more of a pitch count limit? Littell looked good stat wise, but only pitched 4.1 innings, and Sammons for Cedar Rapids pitched 4 innings of no run ball and 6 k’s. I would have thought both could have pitched deeper into the game, but I suppose they have to do more to protect those young arms.

#34 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

I do hope that Bechtold gets moved fairly quickly. He's 22 and has some college experience. I'd be thrilled if he could make it to AA this year, even for a cup of coffee.

• TNTwinsFan and Dman like this

#35 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

So, I take it the minor league pitchers are on more of a pitch count limit? Littell looked good stat wise, but only pitched 4.1 innings, and Sammons for Cedar Rapids pitched 4 innings of no run ball and 6 k’s. I would have thought both could have pitched deeper into the game, but I suppose they have to do more to protect those young arms.

Littell stuff was not sharp yesterday. He pitched out of jams. Had a lot of pitches at that point

#36 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

I get that they made a financial investment (which isn't even that large, relatively), but how does that make starting Hughes beneficial to the franchise in any way? He's going to get obliterated, and the Twins will probably lose multiple games. If the guy is also damaging the team vs. no contribution, doesn't it make the contract worse?

I've always been confused about motivation to run a guy like that out there. A sunk cost is a sunk cost.

It doesn't take a doctorate from Oxford to see that. So, really, what's the deal? Does an MLB owner in 2018 really say, "we invested $12 million per year (peanuts) in this guy, he better be out there"? Even considering that their dad made all of the money, they have to have some business acumen, right?
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#37 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:12 AM

I get that they made a financial investment (which isn't even that large, relatively), but how does that make starting Hughes beneficial to the franchise in any way? He's going to get obliterated, and the Twins will probably lose multiple games. If the guy is also damaging the team vs. no contribution, doesn't it make the contract worse?

I've always been confused about motivation to run a guy like that out there. A sunk cost is a sunk cost.

It doesn't take a doctorate from Oxford to see that. So, really, what's the deal? Does an MLB owner in 2018 really say, "we invested $12 million per year (peanuts) in this guy, he better be out there"? Even considering that their dad made all of the money, they have to have some business acumen, right?

Well, I agree that he probably can't help anymore the team should probably make sure. Letting him get some minor league starts to rehab his arm, maybe putting him in the pen are both reasonable options. 12m is a lot of money and I'm sure most owners don't want their GMs telling them to dump salary. It's pretty rare, even the Yankees have seldom done it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nick gordon, ryan walker, bryan sammons, shane carrier, phil hughes