Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Seth's Spring Standouts

ben rodriguez taylor grzelakowski tanner english landon leach andrew vasquez
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Dman

Dman

• 1,887 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

Thanks to Seth's handy-dandy The 2018 Sixth-Year Minor Leaguers article, we know Rainis Silva is going to be a free agent at the end of this season unless he's added to the 40-man roster. He hadn't even made it to Fort Myers yet, so that seemed like a long shot. I'm sure that had a lot to do with why they were willing to part with him.

Really great point.Thanks for that!There is no way they could afford to carry him on the 40 man next year.There are going to be enough tough decisions there as it is.  

He just finally looked like he was figuring things out with the bat and if he was solid there seemed like he had a good shot.Not a sure thing but since he was young if not younger than some of the competition he seemed like a good bet to me.Being on the 40 next year is a killer though.No sense taking up a spot when you have some decent guys that won't need a spot right away.  

In that light it makes a lot of sense.It is best for everyone that he try and catch on somewhere else.Twins can invest development time in other players at that position then.

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,283 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

I second that opinion on Ben Rodriguez based on what I saw this Spring.Big guy who plays much smaller as fast as speed and plate coverage goes.He will hit with power, he does have the frame, but seems like he has the ability to avoid bad swings, which goes very far.There is no way he is a catcher at 6'6" and his glove and footwork havea bit to go at first base, esp going after lower balls, but I think that it is a matter of reps. Really impressive for a 38th round pick.

• gagu and caninatl04 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#23 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,025 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

If they gave out paper championships, Cedar Rapids looks to be first in line.  

SS Lewis

2B Miranda

RF Kirilloff

1B Rodriguez

CF Baddoo

3B Bechtold

C Rortvedt

LF Carrier

DH Cabbage

SP Wells (surprised he wasn't promoted)

Seems like a good list of opening day starters .... I just made the lineup on the fly, so feel free to correct it.

CR lineup is stacked, yes.If they lose even one game, fire Gardy (Toby, that is)!Ha!

#24 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,025 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

Seth, get a chance to see any of Tyler Benninghoff when you were there?Probably a little EST and then E-Town would be my guess.

Also, two of my favs to follow...TJ White and Cody Stashak...how are they looking?

#25 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

Seth, get a chance to see any of Tyler Benninghoff when you were there?Probably a little EST and then E-Town would be my guess.

Also, two of my favs to follow...TJ White and Cody Stashak...how are they looking?

I'm obviously not Seth and I didn't see as much of these guys as he did while he was there, but I can tell you that I saw White absolutely CRUSH a long HR well past the CF wall in a RedWings/Lookouts intrasquad game about midway through camp. 

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#26 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,025 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

I'm obviously not Seth and I didn't see as much of these guys as he did while he was there, but I can tell you that I saw White absolutely CRUSH a long HR well past the CF wall in a RedWings/Lookouts intrasquad game about midway through camp. 

Good to hear on TJ !  

He's kind of a "scrapper" type ballplayer (in a good way).Seems to a be a fan favorite at all his stops from what I can gather,

Edited by nater79a, 03 April 2018 - 02:01 PM.

#27 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

Great article!I'm wondering if there is an opposite article on who may have been a little disappointing.

#28 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

Wander Javier is starting in EST this year?  

Also - Did you or anyone else at Spring Training - get to see Michael Montero?He shredded the DSL as a 17 year old, and I was hoping we would start hearing reports on him this spring.It would be great if he was in the GCL. 

And anything about the hitters who shredded the DSL in '17:Nunez, Encarnacion, Santana, (all 18 yo last year) De La Cruz (19)?

• Dman likes this

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

My takes:

I saw Benninghoff throw a bullpen or two and work in one game. He looks the part. He throws pretty hard. He's still working on control, as you'd expect based on age but also on returning from TJ, But I think he is a guy worth being excited about, but down the line. 

TJ White... he looked solid. The stance has definitely changed, but he remains a big, strong, fast, athletic guys with a lot of power.

Stashak was moved to the bullpen, but I like him as a prospect. Another in the line of Radke like pitchers. Doesn't throw real hard, but will hit 92 or 93. Has that calm demeanor, good control all that stuff. 

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:39 PM

Great article!I'm wondering if there is an opposite article on who may have been a little disappointing.

No... Ha!

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:41 PM

And anything about the hitters who shredded the DSL in '17:Nunez, Encarnacion, Santana, (all 18 yo last year) De La Cruz (19)?

None of them were at spring training in Ft. Myers. Again, I'd guess they come over now. Several of the Dominican players who spent time in the GCL last year also weren't in FM for spring training, but they'll likely be there for EST. 

#32 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,139 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

No... Ha!

I was preparing to answer, "perhaps, but it won't come from Seth," but Seth ninja'd me.

Every nation ridicules other nations, and all are right. -- Arthur Schopenhauer

#33 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,139 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

TJ White... he looked solid. The stance has definitely changed, but he remains a big, strong, fast, athletic guys with a lot of power.

How's his defense? My SSS of watching him hasn't been very favorable.

• Thrylos likes this

Every nation ridicules other nations, and all are right. -- Arthur Schopenhauer

#34 gagu

gagu

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 89 posts
  • LocationQuilpue, Chile

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

Seth, please mention the age of each profiled player. Sorry to sound like a crank, but it's hard to keep track of so many players.It would only add to an otherwise great arti8cle.

• ashbury and gunnarthor like this

#35 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,158 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

Really great article. I try to watch the box scores for all of the farm teams to see if there is anyone that might break-out. This is a nice heads up on who to watch.

• ashbury likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ben rodriguez, taylor grzelakowski, tanner english, landon leach, andrew vasquez