Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ben Rortvedt - 2018

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Ben earned Honorable Mention in TD's Minor League Hitter Of The Month for his .787 OPS in May.

http://twinsdaily.co...18/#entry755774

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

Seth posted today on TD that Ben is being promoted to Ft Myers!

• Carole Keller and jimbo92107 like this

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

Ben got his Florida State League career off with a bang, by going 2-for-4 against Dunedin on Saturday night. He drove in two runs with a single in the 8th, after having gotten a base hit also in the 7th.

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

After a 3-for-4 night at Palm Beach on June 14, Ben is now batting .400 in high-A ball. No extra-base hits and just one walk to supplement the basic stats, but entering the all-star break it's been a good start.

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

Rortvedt continues to impress at the plate. In five games since last report, he's batted .333 in 23 PA, plus a couple of walks. He's gotten a double and two homers in that span.

His time at high-A shows an aggregate .361 batting average, and all the extra goodies contribute to a .966 OPS.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

After his strong start at high-A, Ben's gone hitless his past four games. He's taken walks three times, and scored one of those times. But it's been 17 PA since his last hit. His Ft Myers BA still stands at a reasonable .265 and his OPS remains good at .754. But, methinks it's time to get back on track after this brief early-summer vacay.

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:05 PM

Ben started July off with a bang, with a pair of two-hit games on the 1st and 2nd. Since then, he's had only 1 hit in the next 3 games; still, he's batting .278 for the young month.

#28 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

Hey AshburyJohn, how high do you think Ben will be ranked after what he's done to date this season?

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

Hey AshburyJohn, how high do you think Ben will be ranked after what he's done to date this season?

Rortvedt stands somewhere just inside or just outside the top-20 in the rankings I've seen. TD had him #16 back in February. MLB.com has him at 21. Sickels pre-season had him un-numbered somewhere in about the top 30.

You want to see a prospect making progress, season to season, and he's doing that this year. But this hasn't been some kind of breakout year. He's still a project with the bat, and hasn't established a major-league floor as even a marginal hitter, as yet. But, he's not too far from getting to that point. He certainly hasn't done anything I can think of to harm his luster; the mid-season promotion attests to that. And he's very young - still can't buy a legal drink.

If you're asking about the current TD prospect countdown, Rortvedt's exact ranking depends a lot on the other players too. A few guys may have leapfrogged him; some other guys ranked better may have fallen back. And maybe #16 was a bit generous, back in February. So, without thinking too deeply about it, how about if I set the over-under at #14? Which way would you lean, then?

• Monkeypaws likes this

#30 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

Given the paucity of good defensive catching prospects with a bat in this organization, and his tender age for his league, I would be surprised if he doesn't crack top 15. 

• ashburyjohn likes this

#31 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Given the paucity of good defensive catching prospects with a bat in this organization

That would be a wrong reason to assign rankings, IMO. But we can save that debate for when his name shows up in the countdown. :)

The tender age absolutely should be seen as a positive, given the performance. That's a very reliable piece of information to factor in about any prospect.

• Monkeypaws likes this

#32 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

Not to mention catcher is one of the more demanding positions in the game.

He definitely is a prospect on the rise.

#33 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

Given the paucity of good defensive catching prospects with a bat in this organization, and his tender age for his league, I would be surprised if he doesn't crack top 15

He just made it. Hope you took the Over, on my prop-bet line of 14. :)

http://twinsdaily.co...15/#entry769518

#34 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

A nice three-game stretch for Ben Rortvedt, July 17-20. In 13 plate appearances against St Lucie and Lakeland, he got base hits 4 times, and supplemented that with 4 walks. No extra-base hits, but that still works out to a tasty 1.115 OPS. He scored 3 runs and drove in 5 (one with a sac fly) during this onslaught.

#35 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

Since last report, Ben has kind of muddled along, with not much to brag about in regard to his batting. He did get a hit yesterday afternoon, bringing his Ft Myers average back up to .233.

Unless he picks up the pace in the final month, I foresee him repeating high-A in 2019. Which wouldn't be the end of the world for the young'un. Just hoping to see better.

#36 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:28 AM

A 3-for-4 night with 3 doubles, against the Lakeland Flying Tigers on August 8, raised Ben's high-A batting average to .250. Unfortunately no one was on base in front of him, and no one drove him in, so his line in the box score looks kind of funny. Still, it's not really his fault they lost 5-1.

Pretty nice photo of him in the local fishwrap's writeup of the game:

cut.jpg

#37 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

Seth took a closer look at my lad, as part of a retrospective on the 2016 draft in today's article.

#38 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:48 AM

Since his big night against Lakeland, Ben has been a little quieter at the plate. In 8 games, he's batting .227. He's walked 3 times plus a HBP in the 26 PA, and has a double and a triple among his 5 hits, so his OPS in this span is a perfectly respectable .710. If this is what constitutes "quiet" for him, we'll take it.

#39 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:57 AM

Grand Salami!

In an 8-3 laugher against Bradenton Wednesday night, Ben Rortvedt went 3-for 4, with SIX RBI, including a grand slam homer in the fourth inning. He's riding a 5-game hitting streak, or 8 of his last 9 games.

His FSL batting average now stands at .265 and his OPS is up to .746. A little over a week ago these were .245 and .693.

tenor.gif?itemid=8068443

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:23 PM

Ben received Honorable Mention for the TD Minor League Hitter of the Month award, for his August body of work. In 61 plate appearances he batted .286, with 4 walks to go along with 5 doubles, a triple, and a homer, leading to a tidy .809 OPS. He struck out only 6 times in that span.