Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Gordon, Gonsalves starting in AA. Romero to AAA

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 VirginSturgeon

VirginSturgeon

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

I do not understand why we care where these prospects start to begin the season.Gonsalves had an underwhelming spring so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise he is AA with the options we have at AAA.I agree with others also, maybe the new FO does not hold Gonsalves and Gordon in high as regard as the old regime.Might be a good thing in the end.

#62 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,735 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

I do not understand why we care where these prospects start to begin the season. Gonsalves had an underwhelming spring so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise he is AA with the options we have at AAA. I agree with others also, maybe the new FO does not hold Gonsalves and Gordon in high as regard as the old regime. Might be a good thing in the end.

The assignments were strange to me because Gonsalves finished last season in AAA, and Gordon so far begins a new season one level higher than the previous season. So they both have hit a speed bump in their development cycle. Let's hope it's just a temporary bump.

#63 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,794 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

I do not understand why we care where these prospects start to begin the season.Gonsalves had an underwhelming spring so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise he is AA with the options we have at AAA.I agree with others also, maybe the new FO does not hold Gonsalves and Gordon in high as regard as the old regime.Might be a good thing in the end.

It's not just the old FO, most sites have Gordon in the top 60 or prospects in all of the minors.

We care becaue it influences when they get to MN, despite all the proclamations to the contrary when this happens, the team almost always has players spend time in AAA. When they don't, this site points out that they were rushed, because they didn't have much/any time in AAA. 

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#64 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

It is almost as if the organization is basing minor league roster construction on something other than last year's stat lines, prospect ranking lists or "fastest to MLB wins" mentality.

How short-sighted of them!

• TRex and VirginSturgeon like this

#65 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

As far as Gonsalves and Littell at AA, the organizational depth chart added a couple of guys at the tip top somewhat late in the winter.  It's a numbers game, but in a good way.  For me, I'll take the glass half full scenario--it isn't so much about Gonsalves not being the prospect I thought he was, it is about Romero being that much better.  Romero at AAA, ahead of Jorge, Gonsalves and Littell is the main thing that catches my eye.  Seems somehow meaningful, but I'm not sure how.

• gunnarthor likes this

#66 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,794 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

It is almost as if the organization is basing minor league roster construction on something other than last year's stat lines, prospect ranking lists or "fastest to MLB wins" mentality.

How short-sighted of them!

like what? I mean, what would htey base it on, and why do you think Gonsavles should be in AA?

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.